• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

GT for Chemistry paper 22 AS.

Reaction score
the problem is that i draw whole structures in every part evn in q.5 i dunt know whether we had to draw them or chow just the structural formula.
though all the structures were correct t i made the whole structures labelling every bond. in q.5 did u draw the whole structue. the last 1 was triol when we oxidised cmpound G, did u draw whole structure?

they'll accept displayed formula for all the structures in question five. I've seen it in past mark schemes. :)

Reaction score
''HO2CCH2CH(OH)CO2H + conc. H2SO4----->HO2CCH=CHCO2H''

I wrote the product as HO2CCHCHCO2H.... Is that acceptable?

Reaction score
Q3 answers:

HO2CCH2CH(OH)CO2H + CH3OH----------->CH3O2CCH2CH(OH)CO2CH3
HO2CCH2CH(OH)CO2H + CH3CO2H-------->HO2CCH2CH(CO2H)O2CCH3
HO2CCH2CH(OH)CO2H + conc. H2SO4----->HO2CCH=CHCO2H

HO2CCH=CHCO2H + hot conc. KMnO4----->HO2CCHO
HO2CCH=CHCO2H + cold dil. KMnO4------->HO2CCH(OH)CH(OH)CO2H
HO2CCH=CHCO2H + steam/H3PO4--------->I did this one wrong =[.. but it should be HO2CCH2CH(OH)CO2H
in hot conc it should be HOOCCOOH,
and for second ester it is general principal to put structure of the carboxylic acid befor the alcohol in the ester

Reaction score
there was no chlorine mentioned in the question. :p
only which element burns with a colored flame, and the possible answers were. sodium (yellow), phosphorous (blue), sulfur (yellow)
no I think they did mention which element in period 3 burns with a coloured flame in chlorine... but I wrote sodium (didn't know the answer)

Reaction score
in hot conc it should be HOOCCOOH,
and for second ester it is general principal to put structure of the carboxylic acid befor the alcohol in the ester
no, with hot conc MnO4 ions.. the double bond breaks and you get two compounds, they take either answer.. but what you made. .I don't see how that's possible...

and oh okay, for the genereal principal, didn't know that.

Reaction score
I hadn't notice it was SKELETAL formula that was asked for the cis-trans isomer(silly mistake I know) but I saw it like when 5 mins was left, and I hastily drew these. Do you think I'll get my marks?
i drew da xact thng!!! its half skeletal..will v gt mrks???

Reaction score
no, with hot conc MnO4 ions.. the double bond breaks and you get two compounds, they take either answer.. but what you made. .I don't see how that's possible...

and oh okay, for the genereal principal, didn't know that.
ur rite...the double bond breaks, but from what i learned in my course is that the "CHO" which forms doesnt exist as the hot mno4 ions immediately oxidise it to COOH and in many past papers ive done it is always a COOH when hot con mno4 is used with alkene RCH= group....

Reaction score
ur rite...the double bond breaks, but from what i learned in my course is that the "CHO" which forms doesnt exist as the hot mno4 ions immediately oxidise it to COOH and in many past papers ive done it is always a COOH when hot con mno4 is used with alkene RCH= group....
ack okay i donno

Reaction score
Well, I don't remember any trio being formed! Are you sure it was a triol? Which question are you talking about? It would help if you posted the whole question as it was.

Reaction score
You just got trolled by yourself dude!!! You misread the question. :p Sorry man, but the reatction concerned was the FORMATION OF METHANOL from CO AND H2. Hope you got it. ;)

Reaction score
Q1
i wrote sodium for the colored flame with chlorine.. not sure
2Al(s) + 3Cl2(g)--> AlCl3(s)
when this reaction occurs, the pale yellow color of the gas disappears and a white solid is formed
Argon doesn't react as it is in a stable elemental state because of its full octet.
Sodium dissolves pH 7
Aluminum dissolves pH 6-- ?..
Silicon reacts pH 3
Reaction is redox/disproportionation
Sulfur- 2 lone pairs
Nitrogen- 1 lone pair
Bond A is smaller due to the presence of 2 lone pairs compared to just 1, thus repelling bond pairs more.

Q2
Ch3OH(l)+3/2O2(g) = CO2(g) + 2H2O(l)
enthalpy change is -129 kJ/mol
increase in pressure increases rate of formation due to increased interaction/collisions between reactant molecules
increase in temp. increases rate of formation due to more particles having energy greater than Ea
presence of catalyst increases rate of formation as it lowers Ea
_______The reaction was an irreversible reaction, so the concept of equilibrium shifts cannot be incorporated________

Q3
I don't remember the exact structure of the compound but
to the left, an ester with the tail -CO2H groups were formed
to the right, an ester with the middle -OH group was formed
straight down, an alkene was formed with the elimination of the middle -OH group and a hydrogen from one of the neighboring C's
alkene + cool, dilute KMnO4 gave you a product with the double bond removed and a diol
alkene + hot, conc. KMnO4 gives you something i'm not sure of! :p
NOTE--- I have just talked about the parts of the compounds that have changed, everything else is meant to be the same
I cannot recall the reaction we had to write the types of...
the optical isomer was easy
My cis-trans isomers looked the same as Pal_1010's..-- Am I right?

For the fourth que,
Na--- -CO2H and -OH
K2Cr2O7 & heat---- -OH and -CHO
NaHCO3--- -CO2H-- (I remember cuz its a test :O)
i got the functional group as -oh -- alcohol
moles of hydrogen atoms as 6.67x10^-3
proved the presence of 2 -OH groups by showing the ration of R-OH
and the presence of a ketone group.
The structure of G was CH2(OH)C=OCH2(OH), drawn of course!
the empirical formula was C6H8O7.... But I wrote C7H9O8.. if I have made a mistake in multiplying the correct base ratio of CHO- C1H1.3O1.17 with a factor, do you think I can get at least 2/3 marks?.. :/

Guys, Do correct me where necessary.. :)

In the first question the pH of Al chloride was in the range 1-3
and the reaction was hydrolysis.