• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Having Breakfast with Sh.Ibn Othaymeen

badrobot14

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
Having Breakfast with Sh.Ibn Othaymeen by Sh. Waleed Basyouni

408521_10151633295725734_1412035524_n.png

Having breakfast with Sh. Ibn Othaymeen is not something that can easily be forgotten. I knew that it was a special honor that I was among those who attended such a gathering. A breakfast was arranged between the Shaykh and the students of Gulf high schools who had made the trip out west to perform Umrah that spring.

After we finished eating, the Shaykh started his talk. It was general advice to the students of knowledge. We were shocked by the amount of knowledge he had, and personally, what I loved most about him was how his thoughts were so organized and clear.
In the question and answer session that followed, he was asked about some rulings on taking pictures and the difference between those images made by humans and those that were only a reflection on a lens. He explained that the forbidden ones in Shari'ah were the ones made by humans. He was then asked about video recordings, and he said they were not allowed.

I then said, “But Shaykh, is it not the same as capturing a reflection? No human is involved in creating the actual image.”

He said, “Yes, but the tape has images saved on it which are reflected onto the screen using light.”

I objected, “If I bring you a VHS tape now, you will not find any images.”

The shaykh then humbly said, “If this is true, I will change my position,” and indeed, he later did change his opinion on videotaping.

Later, we went to the Haram for the Dhuhr prayer, and I was walking with him the whole time, asking questions and listening to his answers. When we entered the Haram, the prayer started, and the Shaykh went to the open area, getting as close to the Ka'bah as he could. I was right behind him. We lined up, and he had his besht robe underneath of him. Standing beside him, my feet were on fire! The ground was so hot! At that time the masjid did not have its new marble flooring that stayed cool all year long. The Shaykh noticed me moving my feet, so he stretched his besht out, and he grabbed my foot and placed it on the top of his besht after noticing that I was hesitant to do so.

I saw how humility manifest itself in knowledge and in action that day. I may not remember most of the words of advice the Shaykh gave us that morning now, but I learned that what will really remain after us for our communities, our spouses, our children, and those whom we get to know is not our words, but our actions and attitude.

:)

badrobot14

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
Reaction score
In the question and answer session that followed, he was asked about some rulings on taking pictures and the difference between those images made by humans and those that were only a reflection on a lens. He explained that the forbidden ones in Shari'ah were the ones made by humans. He was then asked about video recordings, and he said they were not allowed.

I then said, “But Shaykh, is it not the same as capturing a reflection? No human is involved in creating the actual image.”

He said, “Yes, but the tape has images saved on it which are reflected onto the screen using light.”

I objected, “If I bring you a VHS tape now, you will not find any images.”

The shaykh then humbly said, “If this is true, I will change my position,” and indeed, he later did change his opinion on videotaping.
Aoa,
I'm rather confused about what this part implies. If could please elaborate.
JazakAllah.

badrobot14

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
Aoa,
I'm rather confused about what this part implies. If could please elaborate.
JazakAllah.

ws wr wb,
oh,.. he is talking about that ruling.. that in islam genrally you aren't allowed to draw animal/humans (i.e. with full features) this might give you an insight to it:
http://islamqa.info/en/ref/72915
:)
so first the shaykh included videos in that category of image making... then later he changed his stance coz it is not making of image rather catching a reflection on lens.., plus it isn't drawn on the tape...

Reaction score
badrobot14
I`m glad you remember to tag me.....:D
JazakAllah for the tag.........!!
thought of reading after exams, but it was worth the time.......:)

an excellent example---
today we have loads of knowledge about so many things but we lack the deptness & insight in it.......
May Allah give all of us true knowledge of the religion which make our Imaan strong & us humble......Ameen.

Reaction score