• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Help with maths :s

Reaction score
Wait i'm sorry I just looked at the mark scheme and realized that my answer was wrong. According to them you have to do what I did above but you also have to times the answer from iii by 3. I'm not exactly sure why. I'll have a look and try to get back to you.

Reaction score
Haha! You had the SAME prob as me but I cleared it out of the way last week, phew! Well, for part (iv) You need to recognise the relation between (iv) and (iii). In that case, you should have noticed that 150 is THREE TIMES 50. So in part (iv) You should JUST multiply the answer you got in part (iii) by 3. Which is 1275. So, 1275*3 = 3,825.

Okay as for part (v) just use the formula given and replace 'n' with 150. So, (1/2)*150(150 + 1) This is equal to 11,325.

In part (vi), the result in part (v) (11,325) is the addition of ALL the numbers from 1 TO 150. BUT, the result you got in part (iv) is the addition of ALL the multiples of 3. So, all you really need to do is subtract the part(v) 's answer from the answer in part (iv). 11,325 - 3825 = 7500. This will help you findthe sum of numbers which AREN'T multiples of 3. AND those dots you see are just representing the numbers that WOULD be there, but obviously the examiners can't write EVERY SINGLE NUMBER, so they just simply put dots instead.

Alright good luck for tomorrow buddy!

Reaction score
Haha! You had the SAME prob as me but I cleared it out of the way last week, phew! Well, for part (iv) You need to recognise the relation between (iv) and (iii). In that case, you should have noticed that 150 is THREE TIMES 50. So in part (iv) You should JUST multiply the answer you got in part (iii) by 3. Which is 1275. So, 1275*3 = 3,825.

Okay as for part (v) just use the formula given and replace 'n' with 150. So, (1/2)*150(150 + 1) This is equal to 11,325.

In part (vi), the result in part (v) (11,325) is the addition of ALL the numbers from 1 TO 150. BUT, the result you got in part (iv) is the addition of ALL the multiples of 3. So, all you really need to do is subtract the part(v) 's answer from the answer in part (iv). 11,325 - 3825 = 7500. This will help you findthe sum of numbers which AREN'T multiples of 3. AND those dots you see are just representing the numbers that WOULD be there, but obviously the examiners can't write EVERY SINGLE NUMBER, so they just simply put dots instead.

Alright good luck for tomorrow buddy!

Thanks alot, theres nothing wrong with your explanation. Your answers are even correct but I still don't get the question :S
"Use your answer to part (iii) to find 3+6+9+12+15+......+150" What kind of question is this? SERIOUSLY?
What are we finding? Where did they get this sequence of numbers.. how could a number like 3825 come before 150.. it doesn't make sense to me :x

Reaction score
O
Thanks alot, theres nothing wrong with your explanation. Your answers are even correct but I still don't get the question :S
"Use your answer to part (iii) to find 3+6+9+12+15+......+150" What kind of question is this? SERIOUSLY?
What are we finding? Where did they get this sequence of numbers.. how could a number like 3825 come before 150.. it doesn't make sense to me :x

Hahaha I know that's what I told my teacher! I was like, "I just don't get it! What's with the dot dot dot stuff?" SO look, for this question, I advise you to look up the multiples of 3 and add them up. The answer you'd get is 3825! Well, that's if you've got the time...but here's a link to the multiples of 3 http://www.homeschoolmath.net/worksheets/examples/multiples-skip-count-3.htm Alright, add ALL of the multiples from 3 ->150 (It only takes 2 minutes!) and tell me your answer. The dot dot dot thing = sum of multiples of 3. I'm not sure if I made sense :/ but once again this is IGCSE and nothing is meant to make sense! :p

Reaction score
O

Hahaha I know that's what I told my teacher! I was like, "I just don't get it! What's with the dot dot dot stuff?" SO look, for this question, I advise you to look up the multiples of 3 and add them up. The answer you'd get is 3825! Well, that's if you've got the time...but here's a link to the multiples of 3 http://www.homeschoolmath.net/worksheets/examples/multiples-skip-count-3.htm Alright, add ALL of the multiples from 3 ->150 (It only takes 2 minutes!) and tell me your answer. The dot dot dot thing = sum of multiples of 3. I'm not sure if I made sense :/ but once again this is IGCSE and nothing is meant to make sense! :p

Hmm Ill try this, thanks again! Good luck in your exam tomorrow, I'll go and study a bit and then go to sleep.
Pray for me x)

Reaction score
hey the next page last questions i wrote the formula but i dont know how to simpify it ? any help :D

Reaction score
O

I UNDERSTOOOD :O
I was just reading over the question and your post yesterday and I got it!
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU x)

Reaction score
I UNDERSTOOOD :O
I was just reading over the question and your post yesterday and I got it!
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU x)

Oh, it's okay, I answered this because I was sure of my answer, and I was also determined to make you understand. It's GREAT that you did! Hope you've done well! :]

Reaction score
Oh, it's okay, I answered this because I was sure of my answer, and I was also determined to make you understand. It's GREAT that you did! Hope you've done well! :]

Well even though I understood there were no questions like that :S
Still, paper went amazing. Like it was craazyyy easy x) How was yours?

Reaction score
You did paper 42 right? It went really good! Most of the things like transformation and cumulative frequency were in paper 2 so that's why they didn't come :) and the sequences part was like 2 questions.

Reaction score
You did paper 42 right? It went really good! Most of the things like transformation and cumulative frequency were in paper 2 so that's why they didn't come :) and the sequences part was like 2 questions.

Yup paper 42! Thank god there were no transformations of C.Frequencies in paper 4.. they would've been 20x harder then those in paper 2.
The sequence questions were a piece of cake x)

Reaction score
Yup paper 42! Thank god there were no transformations of C.Frequencies in paper 4.. they would've been 20x harder then those in paper 2.
The sequence questions were a piece of cake x)

My fave part was finding the angles...halfway through the exam I was like this is fuuuun!

I still did some silly mistakes though haha I'm sure I lost about hmmm....10-15 marks. Just an approximation haha

Reaction score
My fave part was finding the angles...halfway through the exam I was like this is fuuuun!

I still did some silly mistakes though haha I'm sure I lost about hmmm....10-15 marks. Just an approximation haha

Those angles were annoying -_-
Especially the reasoning... but yeah I think I lost around 10 marks as well :S

Reaction score
Those angles were annoying -_-
Especially the reasoning... but yeah I think I lost around 10 marks as well :S

Well I'm finding out there were some tricks! What's this whole thing about the bounds? :[ I'm getting so freaked out hahhaa but I'm pretty sure above 90 something is an A* and everything, hopefully everyone did well!