• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

How was 9702_w15_qp_34?

Difficulty level.

• Hard

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Medium

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Easy

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Huh. Oh well, who cares who was wrong, it was only 3 marks.
Did your theta increase when L increased?

I had 5; two values of L, and an average value of L, Theta, and the formula.
I didn't repeat L tbh because it wasn't changing and even if I had to, its like 1 mark for the entire extra 2 columns.
AS Physics does XD
A2 on the other hand....
Damn people usually say the opposite. Maybe its because you like modern physics more than classical.
The Sarcastic Retard: I got a positive y-intercept, a positive gradient, and a upward-sloping line, but that's because I plotted the angles and L at a decreasing order.
ahmedish: 0.004 would still be considered a positive number, but range? I don't understand that. I too had three columns (Theta, L, and 1/sin(Theta-90)
The marking scheme usually has a range for accepted results, but its usually for volumes I think, not graph values. Not so sure.
L increased so theta decreased.
Same here. Makes sense because of resolution of forces.

Reaction score
GT is around 28-30, it was mediocre, but we were prepared, not everyone is going to get high grades.

Reaction score
I didn't repeat L tbh because it wasn't changing and even if I had to, its like 1 mark for the entire extra 2 columns.

Damn people usually say the opposite. Maybe its because you like modern physics more than classical.

The marking scheme usually has a range for accepted results, but its usually for volumes I think, not graph values. Not so sure.

Same here. Makes sense because of resolution of forces.
Theta decreased and 1/sin(theta - 90) increased as length increased... :)
Did u got positive intercept?

Reaction score
In the last 8 marks l wrote:
1) two reading are not enough to draw a valid conclusion. Take more readings and plot a graph.
2)large uncertainty in measurement of time as we don't exactly stop the stopwatch at the time when the led goes out. Set up all the apparatus and perform the experiment in dark so we could see the led going out clearly moreover we can also use a video camera with timer to note the time.
3) we cannot measure d and l accurately since hands are shaking. Clamp the electrical component and/or the meter rule and measure it accurately.
4) meter rule not verticle/horizontal use plumb line and set square to make the rule vertical or horizontal.
5) l wrote one more but l cannot remember it.

Reaction score
DarkEclipse: Yeah. Haven't logged in since the IGCSEs. And the springs couldn't extend to more than 2.5-2.8 cm. We were also given that newton meter thing but it didn't work.

Reaction score
GT is around 28-30, it was mediocre, but we were prepared, not everyone is going to get high grades.
Really? I've never seen an Oct/Nov 34 paper go below a 30-31. Was this paper harder than the other Oct/Nov papers?

Reaction score
What did u write in the last part of 8 marks??
That was easy. I wrote:
1) Two readings not enough to draw a conclusion, take more and plot a graph.
2) Capacitor may have been discharging during the experiment, so give it more time to discharge before conducting the experiment.
3) Hard to determine when the LED goes out, so conduct the experiment in a dark room.
4) Resistance/Current may have been fluctuating, so clean the contacts.

Reaction score
DarkEclipse: Damn straight. Modern Physics for the win. The only hard paper I've seen was our May/June 2015 AS Practical paper and it was disastrous.
Muhammad Saad :): This is what I wrote:

Limitations:
a) Ambient light can give problems with results since LEDs emit light of less brightness.
b) Analog voltmeters aren't very accurate and it takes time for them to produce and display results.
c) Parallax errors (the usual) in measuring the length and diameter of the cylindrical component.
d) Rulers don't give accurate data on the length and diameter.
Solutions:
a) Perform the experiment in a dark room to maximize elimination of ambient light.
b) Use digital voltmeters as they give more accurate results and produce and display them almost instantaneously.
c) Bring the cylindrical component close to eye level during measurements to reduce measuring errors.
d) Use vernier calipers to provide more accurate measurements.

Reaction score
I guess we are all on point in the last question.
I am fearing a really high grade threshold since the paper was way to simple.
Let's hope it is around 32.
paperneeder100 why did you wrote about voltmeter?
There was no voltmeter in my apparatus

Last edited:
Reaction score
I guess we are all on point in the last question.
I am fearing a really high grade threshold since the paper was way to simple.
Let's hope it is around 32.
paperneeder100 why did you wrote about voltmeter?
There was no voltmeter in my apparatus

That's what I'm afraid of as well. Ah well.

He wrote it because we were provided with a power supply that also contains a voltmeter.

Reaction score
hi everyone. Can someone please give me about the practicals in
9702_w15_qp_34 i am doing the 33 version

Reaction score
That was easy. I wrote:
1) Two readings not enough to draw a conclusion, take more and plot a graph.
2) Capacitor may have been discharging during the experiment, so give it more time to discharge before conducting the experiment.
3) Hard to determine when the LED goes out, so conduct the experiment in a dark room.
4) Resistance/Current may have been fluctuating, so clean the contacts.
1 and 3 are same.
I wrote others
- Mesurment of diameter with scale may produce an parallex error. SO use digital vernier callipers.
- Difficult the start the time when we open the switch. Use video with time frame.
:/ I guess I will lose 4 marks :(

What was ur percentage uncertainity?

Reaction score
Theta decreased and 1/sin(theta - 90) increased as length increased... :)
Did u got positive intercept?
Yes positive intercept and gradient.
Yeah I do. Screw classical.

Well, if my trend was wrong, I might lose 2 marks at best.
Usually 1 mark for trend. Do not worry. Entire thing is out of 30 anyway.
Really? I've never seen an Oct/Nov 34 paper go below a 30-31. Was this paper harder than the other Oct/Nov papers?
Really do not know I didn't give practical that much time and effort :D