• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

How was AS Math P1?

Reaction score
I personally believe that grasping the concept in question 7 proved a little hard for most. Then the binomial- question's second part needed good concepts. Question 3 was again a good one- the one with y=mx+c. Then the function's inverse had a slight trickery in the domain.
Also Question 10 which was about A.P was a testing one.
was a 25 and b 53

Reaction score
can anyone post the question number 7 of the paper.. can't remember the full question

Reaction score
The question gives point R (-1.3) and line of 3y + 2x = 33 as the mirror. We are looking for the image of R, (let's name it as P)

Rearranging the equation of the mirror gives us y = -2x/3 + 11

Therefore gradient (m) of mirror is -2/3.

Since we understand that the line PR will be PERPENDICULAR to mirror (properties of reflection), therefore m of PR = 1.5.

Work out the equation of PR from the point (-1,3) and m of 1.5

y - 3 = 1.5 (x+1)

y = 1.5 x + 4.5

Another properties of mirror is that distance from object to mirror = distance from image to mirror. Therefore point of intersection of line PR and the mirror will be the MIDPOINT for line PR.

Working out simultaneous equation on PR and mirror,

y = 1.5 x + 4.5
y = -2x/3 + 11

1.5 x + 4.5 = -2x/3 + 11

9x + 27 = -4x + 66

13x = 39
x = 3

Subs x = 3 to any of the 2 equation above, we will get y = 9

Since we know R, and the midpoint, we can work out P.

(-1 + x)/2 = 3 for the x-coordinate and (3+y)/2 = 9 for the y-coordinate

Therefore x = 7 and y = 15

Reaction score
can you inbox me the exact question number seven of maths plz asap

The one Ali Khan wrote above ^ is pretty much what the question is. I do not think anyone would remember the exact wordings of the question. All you have to do is find the reflection of point R (-1.3) on the line of 3y + 2x = 33.

Reaction score
I personally believe that grasping the concept in question 7 proved a little hard for most. Then the binomial- question's second part needed good concepts. Question 3 was again a good one- the one with y=mx+c. Then the function's inverse had a slight trickery in the domain.
Also Question 10 which was about A.P was a testing one.
Question 3 was simple- i loved it :D

Reaction score
What was the domain ? anyone
You guys are kidding right? Reflections in AS, its not even on the syllabus. Question 3 was hard, question 7 was hard. The functions question was weird, the sequences and series was just hard to digest and the last one was messy. My teacher even said that 11 questions with one worth 7 one worth 5 and the last one worth 10 is a HARD paper. Time wise. So i think it will be 53-60 for an A, and like 45ish for a B.
AHAHAHAAA That was my first reaction too. I went all like what shit when I saw Q7, then i thought about it and figured it out :p

Reaction score
guyz the domain was -2.5<=x<=0 !
I did that wrong too :(
do you remeber the question ?
as far as i remember the domain of f(x) was <=1 and the x value was in denominator
so how can the domain of f inverse x be 0 because if the x in F(x) is 0 and in denominator the answer would be infinte
i might be wrong but just tell me the question if you remeber it

Reaction score
My book had nothing about properties of reflection. >.< All it said is that they reflect on the line y = x and that's it. I panicked when i saw that question because i didn't know what to do. I used a book which the teacher provided and everyone in the class was using it and it contained pretty much everything except apparently this. >.< whyyyyy >.< i think only the people in my class who studied from the original book and the normal book could solve this.. Next time i ever use an external book i'll study from both books just to make sure everything is covered.. I lost 7 marks because it wasn't there. yay me. Oh and it got me panicked because it had 7 marks which affected my over all performance. Anyway i have noone to blame except myself. I just just hope M1 is good and everything works fine.

Reaction score
My book had nothing about properties of reflection. >.< All it said is that they reflect on the line y = x and that's it. I panicked when i saw that question because i didn't know what to do. I used a book which the teacher provided and everyone in the class was using it and it contained pretty much everything except apparently this. >.< whyyyyy >.< i think only the people in my class who studied from the original book and the normal book could solve this.. Next time i ever use an external book i'll study from both books just to make sure everything is covered.. I lost 7 marks because it wasn't there. yay me. Oh and it got me panicked because it had 7 marks which affected my over all performance. Anyway i have noone to blame except myself. I just just hope M1 is good and everything works fine.
Hey,
Sorry to hear about your tough luck!
Although, in truth, my book too, only bespoke of reflection of inverse functions in line y=x.
For some strange reason, staring at the question paper helped for the first (and last?) time.
Nonetheless, best of luck for your future exams dude.
Don't let this pull you down... for your sake!

Reaction score
In question 4 , Is it ok to use cosine?! I used cosine and got 4 answers because it was +or - , how much am I gonna lose?
what was it about?
I
wrote decreasing because when u increased x, the gradient decreases.....:S
as far as I know decreasing means the discriminant is negative, and since it was (x-something)^2 it could never be negative.. :/ though I don't know when is it going to be "neither"
guyz the domain was -2.5<=x<=0 !
why do you say that :L
The question wasn't about reflection.. If you saw the answer which someone wrote above you can see its all co-ordinate geometry. The "reflection" word in the question was just figured out by common sense.
I don't think reflections are listed in the syllabus, and most people didn't study it either

Reaction score

I couldn't remember about my book having reflections on it as well, all I could remember is the properties of mirror from IGCSE physics and extended math. :p

Reaction score
what was it about?

as far as I know decreasing means the discriminant is negative, and since it was (x-something)^2 it could never be negative.. :/ though I don't know when is it going to be "neither"

The question wasn't about reflection.. If you saw the answer which someone wrote above you can see its all co-ordinate geometry. The "reflection" word in the question was just figured out by common sense.
I don't think reflections are listed in the syllabus, and most people didn't study it either

It was (x something)^2 as the denominator, which in turn makes the value positive.

HOWEVER, as far as what I did (and as far as what I consulted with other people that did the paper with me) the numerator was a negative value, as a result the whole dy/dx is < 0 overall.

Reaction score
What was question 4? Was it the circle one?
what was it about?

It was about a and b , that said b=2a , everyone used tan but I used cosine and substituted in the equation 'a^2+b^2=10 so I got 4 angles as my final answer as the cosine was + or -

Reaction score
well first of all I actually doubt you'll get 4 answers in range if you use cosine and 2 answers with tan, so maybe you did a mistake during converting?
And in case you did everything correctly and got 4 answers in range I guess they all will be accepted