• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Last minute preparation on MCQS 9701 and 9702. Discussion here.

Hows the preparation?

• Awesome. (Y)

• Yet not started. :P

• Subtle. :)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
Q7 n 34 i dnt get it :)
ty

Q7: calculating the pressure that each gas would contribute (mole fraction * its pressure) and adding them gives the total pressure ... I don't know if this is a concept we should know or sth, I just did it by logic.

Q34: The exothermic reaction between H2SO4(strong acid) and Mg will be faster than the same with ethanoic acid. So,
H2SO4 will reach a higher temperature and also a higher yield of H2 gas at 2 mins.
After 20 mins, H2SO4 would have completely reacted to give maximum H2 while ethanoic acid would have only reached equilibrium. So, H2 produced by H2SO4 is greater.

Reaction score
ty
Q7: calculating the pressure that each gas would contribute (mole fraction * its pressure) and adding them gives the total pressure ... I don't know if this is a concept we should know or sth, I just did it by logic.

Q34: The exothermic reaction between H2SO4(strong acid) and Mg will be faster than the same with ethanoic acid. So,
H2SO4 will reach a higher temperature and also a higher yield of H2 gas at 2 mins.
After 20 mins, H2SO4 would have completely reacted to give maximum H2 while ethanoic acid would have only reached equilibrium. So, H2 produced by H2SO4 is greater.

Reaction score
There is a formula, 2^n. My teacher never taught me this, but once I had a same doubt. So 2^n is the formula used for number of isomers. Where n is the number of double bonds within the molecule. Hence 2^3 = 8
but can that be generalised for every molecule coz what if both Carbons in the double bond have the same groups attached to them ... then cis-trans isomers won't esixt ... ?

Reaction score
but can that be generalised for every molecule coz what if both Carbons in the double bond have the same groups attached to them ... then cis-trans isomers won't esixt ... ?
2^n is for the number of isomers. They can be cis-trans, chain, position, blah blah blah. I think this formula is dependant upon the nature of the compound, and I have tried it with various compounds, and it seems to work so far.

Let me elaborate. In this case, since the compound is symmetrical and contains double bonds, 'n' becomes the number of double bonds. In a symmetrical compound with double bonds, we know it must have cis-trans isomerism. Therefore, raising 2 to the power of the number of double bonds; i.e. 2^3, we get the number of cis-trans isomers.

Let me use another example. In a molecule, there may be 'n' number of chiral carbons. Therefore, the number of enantiomers in the molecule is 2^n, where 'n' is the number of chiral carbons.

As far as I've seen, 2^n is a formula restricted to only stereoisomers. What I've written is based solely on my experience, so use with caution ;)

Reaction score
2^n is for the number of isomers. They can be cis-trans, chain, position, blah blah blah. I think this formula is dependant upon the nature of the compound, and I have tried it with various compounds, and it seems to work so far.

Let me elaborate. In this case, since the compound is symmetrical and contains double bonds, 'n' becomes the number of double bonds. In a symmetrical compound with double bonds, we know it must have cis-trans isomerism. Therefore, raising 2 to the power of the number of double bonds; i.e. 2^3, we get the number of cis-trans isomers.

Let me use another example. In a molecule, there may be 'n' number of chiral carbons. Therefore, the number of enantiomers in the molecule is 2^n, where 'n' is the number of chiral carbons.

As far as I've seen, 2^n is a formula restricted to only stereoisomers. What I've written is based solely on my experience, so use with caution ;)
nice ... thanks for explaining, should save some time for me. :)

Reaction score
There is a formula, 2^n. My teacher never taught me this, but once I had a same doubt. So 2^n is the formula used for number of isomers. Where n is the number of double bonds within the molecule. Hence 2^3 = 8

I also have another one for you incase you need:

Question is from p4 application part, Asks for how many different group of tri-aminoacids can be formed with val, ser and another(asp?)
answer is n! where n is number of names given, its simple maths.
Let's say now it asks how many di-amino(peptide) you can form from this.
Answer is 3P2 where you choose 2 from 3 and arrange in 2! ways

You should always find the logical way to do things in either chemistry or physics!

Reaction score

Since this is an EM wave, its speed is 3x10^8 ms^-1. Frequency is 1GHz= 1 000 000 000 Hz.
Use v = fλ.
Therefore, λ = 0.3m.
Distance = 45 cm = 0.45 m.
Periods present b/w the transmitter and the plate = 0.45/0.3 = 1.5.

In a stationary wave, 1 period contains 2 antinodes. Therefore, half a period contains 1 antinode.
Therefore, 2 + 1 = 3, option C.

Reaction score
Since this is an EM wave, its speed is 3x10^8 ms^-1. Frequency is 1GHz= 1 000 000 000 Hz.
Use v = fλ.
Therefore, λ = 0.3m.
Distance = 45 cm = 0.45 m.
Periods present b/w the transmitter and the plate = 0.45/0.3 = 1.5.

In a stationary wave, 1 period contains 2 antinodes. Therefore, half a period contains 1 antinode.
Therefore, 2 + 1 = 3, option C.
0.45/0.3 y? o_O