• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Lets Get Started

Reaction score
DONT KNOW Y I CANT DO THIS.........PRETTY SURE DOING SUM SILLY MISTAKE......
2 0.200 mol of a hydrocarbon undergo complete combustion to give 35.2 g of carbon dioxide and
14.4g of water as the only products.

What is the molecular formula of the hydrocarbon?

A C2H4 B C2H6 C C4H4 D C4H8

Reaction score
CAN U GUYS REPLY TODAY .... I HAVE CHEMISTRY TEST TOMORROW

Q3
View attachment 47960
answer,s B..
A is rej coz it,s neighbouring atom can have 3s1 orbital meaning tht 2nd ionization energy can mean removal of electron from a lower subshell i.e 2p which will definitely increase ion energy due to decreased distance.. C is rej on similar basis as neighbouring atom,s(with 3p1 orbital) can have 2nd ionization energy withremoval of electron from a lower orbital this time i.e 3s and this wud mean greater ion energy as 3s orbital is closer to nucleus and finally D is rej as it,s neighbouring atom(with more electrons this time) can have higher 1st and 2nd ionization energy due to greater net nuclear charge acting on the valence shell electrons(due to increased proton number nad same principal quantum shell)....

Reaction score
answer,s B..
A is rej coz it,s neighbouring atom can have 3s1 orbital meaning tht 2nd ionization energy can mean removal of electron from a lower subshell i.e 2p which will definitely increase ion energy due to decreased distance.. C is rej on similar basis as neighbouring atom,s(with 3p1 orbital) can have 2nd ionization energy withremoval of electron from a lower orbital this time i.e 3s and this wud mean greater ion energy as 3s orbital is closer to nucleus and finally D is rej as it,s neighbouring atom(with more electrons this time) can have higher 1st and 2nd ionization energy due to greater net nuclear charge acting on the valence shell electrons(due to increased proton number nad same principal quantum shell)....
Wouldnt a better explanation be regarding the respective removal of electrons e.g
A.3s2 removed,half shell remained,its easier to remover second i.e 3s1 electron
C.3p2 removed,3p1 also removed easily as its not half shell and further away from nucleus so not much energy
D.Same as above,no real difference in net IE

B. It will be higher as it is much more difficult to remove 3s2 electron as it is making full orbital and is relatively closer to nucleus than other options

exploded diper Hope this helps you.

Reaction score
Wouldnt a better explanation be regarding the respective removal of electrons e.g
A.3s2 removed,half shell remained,its easier to remover second i.e 3s1 electron
C.3p2 removed,3p1 also removed easily as its not half shell and further away from nucleus so not much energy
D.Same as above,no real difference in net IE

B. It will be higher as it is much more difficult to remove 3s2 electron as it is making full orbital and is relatively closer to nucleus than other options

exploded diper Hope this helps you.
it,s not easier to remove 2nd electron.as a matter of fact tht atom has positive charge so the 2nd ion energy wud actually be higher(compared to 1st) for all given options.we need to compare whether tht 2nd ion energy is greater than tht of neighbouring atom,s 2nd ion energy also,not the ones given as options(even though some of them do overlap)

Reaction score
it,s not easier to remove 2nd electron.as a matter of fact tht atom has positive charge so the 2nd ion energy wud actually be higher(compared to 1st) for all given options.we need to compare whether tht 2nd ion energy is greater than tht of neighbouring atom,s 2nd ion energy also,not the ones given as options(even though some of them do overlap)
When we're talking about 1s2 atoms,isnt IE of 1s2 electron higher than that of 1s1 electron?

Reaction score
When we're talking about 1s2 atoms,isnt IE of 1s2 electron higher than that of 1s1 electron?
i don't know abt 1s2 and 1s1 IE individually but we r talking abt successive ionization energy,meaning tht the 2nd ionization energy can only take place after the first ionization energy has taken place and the state of the atom/ion afterwards wud apply..In any case of 2nd IE after 1st IE a monopositve i0n wud be formed which wud definitely increase attraction btw proton and valence electron thus making the 2nd ionization energy higher

Last edited:
Reaction score
i don't know abt 1s2 and 1s1 IE individually but we r talking abt successive ionization energy,meaning tht the 2nd ionization energy can only take place after the first ionization energy has taken place and the state of the atom/ion afterwards wud apply..In any case of 2nd IE after 1st IE a monopositve i0n wud be formed which wud definitely increase attraction btw proton and valence electron thus making the 2nd ionization energy
Yes but the IE values are given in the data booklet and the 2nd is moslty higher than the first i think.Chalo choro lets leave this.