• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
someone please explain how to calculate the mean and standard deviation using a histogram? i cant understand the ms..:'(

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    136.8 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
for aii the MS says

3 digit odd 500+ = 4 ways
3 digit odd 600+ = 3 × 2
= 6 ways
4 digit odd 1000+ = 4 ways
4 digit odd 3000+ = 4 ways
4 digit odd 5000+ = 4 ways
4 digit odd 6000+ = 6 ways
OR 4 digit odd, last digit in 3 ways,
nd
to last in 3 ways, 2
nd
in 2 ways
first in 1 way = 18
Total = 28 ways
can u explain this?

500+ means 513, 531, 561, 563
do the same for the rest.
Need I say more?

Reaction score
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_w10_qp_63.pdf
Quesion no. 6 part 3 plz how did they do this narking scheme main tricky answer hai plz clarify me soon tommorrow is my papers.

Im gonna try my best. Okay so Brown can only take 1 of the 3 seats right? 3C1 = 3
Lin will only get behind a student. So take two fingers and place them on two side-by-side seats. assume brown take the front seat at the right corner. Count all positions Lin can sit in: 10
Only 1 of 5 students will be sitting ahead of Lin: therefore 5C1 = 5
3 people are cleard as well as 3 seats. 11 seats and 9 people remaining. therefore 11P9.
therefore, 3*5*10*11P9/ (total arrangement in i)

Reaction score
Why 20C7??? Still don't get it.....The marking scheme uses 12!/7!5!......:unsure:
WOOPS. My bad. thanks for checking. since there are 7 same heads and 5 same tails. Remember if letter/objects are repeated u divide the total possible arrangments by n!, where n is the number of times it is repeated.
so 12 coins, 12!
7 heads, so divide by 7!. 5 tails so divide by 5!

Reaction score
Ahh got ittt... Thanksss.. :D
i posted a histogram question above please explain that aswell? ur a lifesaver. :D
Ok well u know we simply cant leave spaces in a histogram. so thats why u have to make a connection between the intervals. In O levels u can recall adding .5 to the upper boundary and subtracting .5 from the lower boundary. Meaning first interval will be .5-20.5. 2nd will be 20.5-30.5. and so on. u can get class width by subtracting Upper boundary - lower boundary.

Freq density is frequency/ class width. find it for all the intervals.

For mean mark for group data. u need to find the midpoint values of each interval. Midpoint= (Upper boundary + lower boundary)/2. Let these midpoints be x
then find the corresponding fx. Then there's the simple formula Mean = Sum of fx/ 234 students

Variance = sum of [f * x^2] - (Mean)^2
Standard deviation is square root of variance

Reaction score
WOOPS. My bad. thanks for checking. since there are 7 same heads and 5 same tails. Remember if letter/objects are repeated u divide the total possible arrangments by n!, where n is the number of times it is repeated.
so 12 coins, 12!
7 heads, so divide by 7!. 5 tails so divide by 5!
Why can't we use 2^12/7!5!.....Sorry~~

Reaction score
guys help me out here, if I have (3 - 90(v+30)) (dv/dx) + 1 =0 ... and a=v(dv/dx)

Im having a mind block... how am I supposed to find a here?

Reaction score
I dont get it.. :(
:cry:
can u please explain it in more simpler terms? :(
i dont get wht u assumed x1 and x2 to be and what 2fi(z)-1=0.34 means?
He meant ke look. if it is (-y<Z<y). Where y is any number
Then the prob. will be fi(y) - (1-fi(y)) [since fi(-y) will be 1-fi(y)
open the brackets, 1 becomes negative, the fi's add up
2fi(y)-1 is the final thing.

Reaction score
the N (x,y) means x is the Mean (that miuw symbol) and y is the Variance, (sigma squared). havent u done normal distribution?
Subtract mean from 33+a and 33-a, divide by standard deviation??
yeah i know that much.. that leaves us with -a//root21 <Z < a/root21 = 0.5
what to do after that! i dont understand how ms got 0.75..