• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
But where was this from? u just had to multiply what i gave with V right?
I donno .. I think Im still confused =[ but it helped that you tried.

And its from A2 mechanics (which Ive never studied, long story)... my paper is tomorrow and there's no one here who does A2 mech so......

Reaction score
The 94% probability is the area in the MIDDLE, which means there is a "tail" on either side, of 3% probability. When you look for z value you need to count from the left side, or negative infinity. So here the probability is 0.94 + 0.03 = 0.97
View attachment 10051
how should i know when to use this method and when to simply use the probability given?

Reaction score
View attachment 10559

How about this?? is it possible to construct tree diagram?? I think it'll be big :S
LOL I think im gonna crack xD
Well yes you are right. but you cant try to see if it guarantees the correct answer.
u have to do it this way else: They are in serial, (Bag A, B, C)
P(2, not 2, 2) + P(8, Not 8, 8) + P(Not 8 , 8,8) + P(8,8, Not 8)

part ii is conditional probability, P(2,not 2,2) / the answer of (i)

iii) P(X) is the answer of (i). P(Y) calculate and see if it matches the value in (ii) or P(2, not 2, 2)

Reaction score
I donno .. I think Im still confused =[ but it helped that you tried.

And its from A2 mechanics (which Ive never studied, long story)... my paper is tomorrow and there's no one here who does A2 mech so......
M2? woah. well that really wasnt in my knowledge. Maybe just multiply V with the expression of dv/dx i showed.

Reaction score
meanwhile can u please explain the encircled step in the marking scheme of this question? i cant understand it. :(

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    91.2 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
[Q4] H A P P I N E S S

(ii) The 9 letters of the word HAPPINESS are arranged in random order in a line. Find the probability that the 3 vowels (A, E, I) are not all next to each other. [4 marks]

Solving the problem via reverse approach;

i.e. find the number of arrangements in which A, E and I are all next to each other:

7 x A E I _ _ _ _ _ _

You may be wondering why I used the 7 x above; it's because A, E, I ('stuck' together) can alternate in 7 empty spaces between the _ . Let me number them for you:

1 _ 2 _ 3 _ 4 _ 5 _ 6 _ 7......... [in (a) A E I is in number 1]

n (A,E & I together) = 7 x 3! x 6! ............[P and S are recurring twice]
............clever, eh?.............2! x 2!

................................= 7560
now,

n (A,E & I NOT together) = # total possible arrangements - n (A,E & I together)
..........................................= [9! / (2! x 2!)] - 7560 = 90720 - 7580 = 83160

Probability of A,E & I NOT together = n (A,E & I NOT together) = 83160 = 11 .......... Q.E.D
...................................................... ..# total possible arrangements....90720....12

can you plz do part iii as well! thanks :)

Reaction score
meanwhile can u please explain the encircled step in the marking scheme of this question? i cant understand it. :(
the method is :
fi(1.629)- (1-fi(1.075))
therefore fi(1.629) + fi (1.075) -1
Just as the given expression.

Reaction score
ASA,​
i wanted to know when to take the mean of the data when calculating the quartiles.​
for eg. in M/J/2010 paper 61 stats,​
in question 2, we get the following steam-and-leaf diagram.​
0|2 5 6 8 8 (5)​
1|2 4 6 7 7 9 (6)​
2|1 2 3 3 3 5 6 7 (8)​
3|1 5 (2)​
now in calculating the median, we will divide the total number of data by 2 which in this case is​
21/2=10.5 so, which value will we take? 10 th value or 11thvalue or the mean of the 10th and 11th value.​
also in calculating the lower quartile, we get 21/4=5.25 here also, do we take the 5th value or the 6th value or the mean of the 5t and 6th value?​
again in calculating the upper quartile, we get 21*0.75=15.75 here again do we take the 15th value or the 16th value or the mean of the 15th and 16th value?​
sometimes in the mark scheme i have seen them taking the mean and sometimes the value immediately next to it.. im confused as to what should i do?​
WILL appreciate any help!​

Can someone please answer this? :S im confused too now :/

Reaction score
LOL I think im gonna crack xD
Well yes you are right. but you cant try to see if it guarantees the correct answer.
u have to do it this way else: They are in serial, (Bag A, B, C)
P(2, not 2, 2) + P(8, Not 8, 8) + P(Not 8 , 8,8) + P(8,8, Not 8)

part ii is conditional probability, P(2,not 2,2) / the answer of (i)

iii) P(X) is the answer of (i). P(Y) calculate and see if it matches the value in (ii) or P(2, not 2, 2)
in MS.. why 'not 2' is 1 instead of 0/5???

Reaction score
M2? woah. well that really wasnt in my knowledge. Maybe just multiply V with the expression of dv/dx i showed.
it was technically just a math issue, so I thought you guys could help.. basically I had to show a=-1/3(v+30) and I couldn't seem to get rid of the 90

Reaction score
But why do we subtract 1? :/
U subtract the fi(1.0750 from 1. but since the sign outside is -ve, it reverses. It is a rule that P(a<Z<b) then fi(b)-fi(a)
but if P(-a<Z<b). fi(a negative value) is 1-fi(the value). the minus is kicked out. See the normal distribution table page. it is written there as well
therefore fi(b)-fi(-a) = fi(b)- [1-fi(a)] = fi(b)+ fi(a) -1

Reaction score
U subtract the fi(1.0750 from 1. but since the sign outside is -ve, it reverses. It is a rule that P(a<Z<b) then fi(b)-fi(a)
but if P(-a<Z<b). fi(a negative value) is 1-fi(the value). the minus is kicked out. See the normal distribution table page. it is written there as well
therefore fi(b)-fi(-a) = fi(b)- [1-fi(a)] = fi(b)+ fi(a) -1
can i ask a really dumb question? :p
u keep referring to 'fi' what does it mean? :p
is it the probability?