• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Part 4...hmmm. okay see there will normally be 4! arrangements if 4 diff. colors are used. since 2 are the same, we make it 4!/2!.
there are 6 colors in total, AND since u have to choose 1 peg of a specific colour only, 6x 5C2
therefore,
4!/2! arrangements * 6 colors * 5C2 pegs of diff colours = 720

part v)
im really not sure.
i think the last one we need to find 2 different colours which will be denoted by 4!/2!2! and as we need 2 for each colour so the 6 different colours is to be selected for 2 holes so 6c2 so the answer is 90 and then add all of the previous answers to it

Reaction score
Find the number of different ways in which the 9 letters of the word GREENGAGE can be
arranged if exactly two of the Gs are next to each other.
Now in this question I understand the way to do it but when I was trying to do it in different way, I hit a wall. I know I'm doing something wrong I just can't figure what is it.
This is what I want to do:
Total number of arrangements - number of arrangements where none of the G's are next to each other.
9!/(3!*3!) - (7*6*5*(6!/3!)). THE ANSWER IS NEGATIVE. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

can someone reply please?
Explain this please (7*6*5*(6!/3!)).

Reaction score
Since there's replacement so ill not consider P or C. just poweres. since 12 pic cards are there and i have to pic 3. 12^3. dividing by 3! is to cut down the number of arrangements OF THIS SELECTION. same goes for the rest. 8! is an overall arrangement ( 8 cards)
Oh! JazakAllah brother

Reaction score
The (i) part is always the most direct in all P & C questions :D
14P12 = 4.36E^10
(ii) -The 3 seats on the right are taken by the 3 businessmen. So first it's 3P3.
-Then the Lins sit in a row on the same side of the aisle, the available locations could only be the 3 pairs of seats on the upper part. (Front pair excluded since taken byy the businessmen.) Moreover the couple can switch seats with each other. It's 3P1 × 2P2.
-Next are the Browns. 1 pair in the 3 taken by the Lins, so for them, 2P1 × 2P2.
-Finally, the students. You can see there are just the right number of seats left: 5 window seats for 5 students. 5P5.
Answer: 3P3 × 3P1 × 2P2 × 2P1 × 2P2 × 5P5 = 17280
(iii) If they seat randomly, we are back to (i) then. Total number of arrangements is 4.36E^10
-If to ensure that Mrs Brown in the front, there are only 3 seats for her to sit in. 3P1
-To ensure Mrs Lin behind a student, group her and one student together as a unit. (Note that she cannot switch the seats with that student since she must be behind the student.) For this "unit", there are 10 pairs of seats valid. 10P1.
--There a 5 students that can be grouped with Mrs Lin, so for the case above, it's 5 × 10P1.
-Finally the others. There are 14 - 1 -2 = 11 seats for 12 - 1 - 2 = 9 people. 11P9.
Number of arrangements = 3P1 × 5 × 10P1 × 11P9 =2.99E^9
Probability = 2.99E^9 / 4.36E^10 = 25/364 OR 0.0687

I'm not sure if my answers are correct. :p
THANXX A MIllion tyms.........solved it 10 times........bt neva complete;y undrstoood thats y did mistake every time......absolutely loved that words............"To ensure Mrs Lin behind a student, group her and one student together as a unit. (Note that she cannot switch the seats with that student since she must be behind the student.) For this "unit", there are 10 pairs of seats valid. 10P1"

Reaction score
Yea it is 5040. I got the same when I did 7*6*(6!/3!). What I wanna do is total no of arrangements - arrangements when none of the G's are next to each other.
You forget one thing, No. of arrangements - No. of arrangements when no G's are next to each other - No. of arrangements when all the G's are together