• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
(i) Pythagoras → OT = 13, QT = 8 cm
Angle POQ = tan–1(12/5) = 1.176
S = rθ → 5.88
→ Perimeter = 25.9 cm

Hello I'm uploading a question of paper 1 of maths and it seems very accessable however some thought is missing as I can't solve it out. In the markscheme it says that tan^-1 (12/5) would give 1.176 and I don't understand this. Can someone explain me plzzz.
Set your calculator to radians.

Reaction score
can someone do the SECOND part of both questions ? TheZodiac
The first question I had already answered. However for second part, here's the solution:
x n+1 = √ (ln4+8(x)^2)
Place the value x1 = 2 in this above equation
= √ (ln4 + 8(2)^2)
Result would be x= 1.8930
Now place this in the place of 2 and you'd get result 1.8671, continue doing this until the answer gets stable upto 4 d.p
When you get it stable which would be 1.8585, place it in the equation given in part one and you'd get the answer y = 0.5

Reaction score
(i) Pythagoras → OT = 13, QT = 8 cm
Angle POQ = tan–1(12/5) = 1.176
S = rθ → 5.88
→ Perimeter = 25.9 cm

Hello I'm uploading a question of paper 1 of maths and it seems very accessable however some thought is missing as I can't solve it out. In the markscheme it says that tan^-1 (12/5) would give 1.176 and I don't understand this. Can someone explain me plzzz.
tan^-1 (12/5) is 1.176. Your calculator must be in degree mode and you've to turn it into radian mode.

Reaction score
ok i got the roots -7/3 and -3 but how did u conclude that x is greater than -7/3 and less than -3
If you draw this on the number line //
you will find that the two roots go away from each other .
for eg when you get your answer as x>-2 and x<4
your answer will be -2>x>4 since when you draw the two roots above they coincide