• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Express 9x^2 - 36x +52 in the form (Ax^2 - B) + C, where A, B and C are integers. Hence, or otherwise find the set of values taken by 9x^2 - 36x +52 for x ∈ R.
Help please?

Reaction score
9(x^2 - 4x + 52/9)]
9[(x - 2)^2 + 16/9)]
9(x - 2)^2 + 16
3^2 (x - 2)^2 + 16
(3x - 6)^2 + 16
--> 16
Thanks for replying. But I used another method, the comparison of coefficients, to put it in the required form and thus when comparing I gained two values of A(there was a square root). This is what is confusing me as to what value should I take?
And by set of values, does the question mean the range?

Reaction score
Thanks for replying. But I used another method, the comparison of coefficients, to put it in the required form and thus when comparing I gained two values of A(there was a square root). This is what is confusing me as to what value should I take?
And by set of values, does the question mean the range?
SHow me your paper, and Temme which paper it is.. :)
According to me they are talking about range. :)

Reaction score
No...it is of a year 86....a very old question...found it in a book!
Also due to A having two values, even B will end up having two values!! I hope you can solve this mystery :D

Attachments

• 20151031_120135.jpg
    20151031_120135.jpg
    739.9 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
No...it is of a year 86....a very old question...found it in a book!
Also due to A having two values, even B will end up having two values!! I hope you can solve this mystery :D
From your this expression : (Ax)^2 - 2ABx + B^2 + C, clearly A = 3. If u took A as -3 then 36/(2 x -3) = -6 and that will make the opposite sign of what we need that is +ve sign and we need -ve. If u take A = 3 then, B = 6. So its correct now. :) (y)
More over as its squared, hence f(x) >= 16 :)

Reaction score
Given that x^2 + 2x + A is positive for all values of x, find set of values of A.
Help please?
(This question is not from any past paper, it is from a book.)

Reaction score
If it's positive b^2-4ac should not be less than zero? Since, if the function is positive, this implies that it must lie completely above the x-axis- i.e. It will have no solution wrt the x-axis, right? That means b^2 -4ac < 0 ? Am I right here?
Thank you :)

Reaction score
What are the best books for A-Level mathematics for P1, P3, M1 and S1?

Need to buy a book now, a couple of months left in exams. :p

Advanced Level Mathematics : Pure Mathematics 2 & 3 by Hugh Neill and Douglas Quadling
Advanced Level Mathematics : Pure Mathematics 1 by Hugh Neill and Douglas Quadling
A concise coure in Advanced Level Statistics (with worked examples) by J. Crawshaw and J.Chambers ( this book covers both S1 and S2 so check syllabus to know which contents to study for S1 :p )

btw isn't it too early to buy the books ? :p :p

Reaction score
Advanced Level Mathematics : Pure Mathematics 2 & 3 by Hugh Neill and Douglas Quadling
Advanced Level Mathematics : Pure Mathematics 1 by Hugh Neill and Douglas Quadling
A concise coure in Advanced Level Statistics (with worked examples) by J. Crawshaw and J.Chambers ( this book covers both S1 and S2 so check syllabus to know which contents to study for S1 :p )

btw isn't it too early to buy the books ? :p :p

Thanks! ^^

Lol, I know. I've been delaying buying the books for an entire year. :p

Reaction score
What are the best books for A-Level mathematics for P1, P3, M1 and S1?

Need to buy a book now, a couple of months left in exams. :p
Since you had taken add-maths in O-levels, you don't even need to study for P1. As far as stats is concerned, the books have nothing good to offer. I suggest you do not buy books for anything. Dive straight into the past papers and the internet can help you with the course :p
When are you giving your Math exam?
I'm done with P1 and S1, got M1 and P3 this M/J

Reaction score
Since you had taken add-maths in O-levels, you don't even need to study for P1. As far as stats is concerned, the books have nothing good to offer. I suggest you do not buy books for anything. Dive straight into the past papers and the internet can help you with the course :p
When are you giving your Math exam?
I'm done with P1 and S1, got M1 and P3 this M/J

Have to give all four P1, P3, M1, S1 in May-June 2016. :p