• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
how did you get 0.1 ?
Umm I just completed the table. You get the second value of the last column by; 1 - (1/5). You get 0.8. Then you have been given the probability of kitch in a mess. Which is the third value of first column(3/5). You get the third value of second column by; 1 - (3/5). You get 0.4.
Calculate the first value of the second column. You get 0.1 (0.4 - 0.3) And then lastly, The requirement. 1/5 - 0.1 is 0.1

Reaction score
1/8
like u multiply total of 'meal on time' with total of 'kitchen left on mess'
Umm I just completed the table. You get the second value of the last column by; 1 - (1/5). You get 0.8. Then you have been given the probability of kitch in a mess. Which is the third value of first column(3/5). You get the third value of second column by; 1 - (3/5). You get 0.4.
Calculate the first value of the second column. You get 0.1 (0.4 - 0.3) And then lastly, The requirement. 1/5 - 0.1 is 0.1
oh sorry i didnt see that 3/5 in the question. my bad

Reaction score
if you actually calculate each probability you get a different answer. for example probability of meal served on time and kitchen is a mess = (1/5)*(3/5)=0.12. why are the answers different ?

Reaction score
if you actually calculate each probability you get a different answer. for example probability of meal served on time and kitchen is a mess = (1/5)*(3/5)=0.12. why are the answers different ?
Dont take into account the whole probability. because that way your ans will include kitchen with no mess and not served on time 's probability too.

Reaction score
didnt quite get you there. can u plz explain?
In this question, we cannot use that method since the answer will take into account 'meal not served on time' and 'kitchen with no mess' 's probability as well. We need to determine the required probability separately. In other words, question is not asking for total. I hope I'm coherent enough. :/

Reaction score
In this question, we cannot use that method since the answer will take into account 'meal not served on time' and 'kitchen with no mess' 's probability as well. We need to determine the required probability separately. In other words, question is not asking for total. I hope I'm coherent enough. :/
didnt get it. Will try on it later again.
thanks btw :)

Reaction score
didnt get it. Will try on it later again.
thanks btw :)
Ill try one more time
Its probably a conditional probability question :/
Because meal served on time WHEN theres mess made gives 0.1
Otherwise its what you^ are getting.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ill try one more time
Its probably a conditional probability question :/
Because meal served on time WHEN theres mess made gives 0.1
Otherwise its what you^ are getting.
lol. still didnt get it.
dw, I guess I'll do it when my mind gets off of my phys exam tomorrow.

Reaction score
can you help find the midpoints ? please explain.
Look The first data value says x is greater than(>) 0. Just greater than means we don’t have to include 0. However x is less than equal to(≤) 10. Therefore 10 is included. Hence, (1+10) /2 = 11/2

Same with rest of the values.

(11+20)/2 = 31/2

(21+30)/2 =51/2

(31+40)/2=71/2

(41+60) =101/2