• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
4) I wrote an 8 instead of 0 by mistake so I took the wrong values, yes your answer is correct.
7) I think I got it 54.8 roundings it to 3sf but I really don't remember tbh,
and I got b=2 View attachment 64678 If you actually try -4 you won't get y=0, I think you took 2/3pi which is wrong because your x value has to be on the negative side so you should take -pie/3 (you're not shifting it towards left or right )
8) for iv I confused somewhere I understood the range of f(x) has to be greater than 1 but I can't figure how to progress so please help
and 10)iii yes its (9/2, 15/2) sorry I messed up the order
Oh yes I've looked into it your value for b is correct
For 8 iv) first see the domain of the inner function f(x) which is x<2 and then its range for this domain which is f(x)>3
Now the range of f will be domain of g and according to this domain the range of g(x) will be the range of gf(x). From here the answer 0<gfx<1 comes
But I was a bit confused as what to use as the domain of f(x). x<2 or x<1

Reaction score
Oh yes I've looked into it your value for b is correct
For 8 iv) first see the domain of the inner function f(x) which is x<2 and then its range for this domain which is f(x)>3
Now the range of f will be domain of g and according to this domain the range of g(x) will be the range of gf(x). From here the answer 0<gfx<1 comes
But I was a bit confused as what to use as the domain of f(x). x<2 or x<1
Yes, that's the thing, I think your answer is correct tho,
I'll ask my mom's friend to help out so we could be sure, and I'll inform you :)

Reaction score
You can find them at gceguide.com
Heey I still haven't got a reply from my moms' friend but I was thinking that I think the question is pretty simple like they said domain has to be greater than 1, therefore it can't be 0, and actually we were confused with what domain to take but since they said x>1 and we know f(x) range will be the domain of g(x) so if we place f(x)>1 you won't get a value for it except when f(x)>3, therefore, its obvious to say that x can only be 3 and up to infinity, and if you try values greater than 3 you'll find it tends towards 0, so I think its right to say 0<gf(x)<1,
I gave it a thought its actually a reciprocal standard formuala (a/x-h)+k , so if we take 2/x-1 then this means the asymptotes are x=1 and y=0, and for x>1 the range has to be what I mentioned before,
does it make sense?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Heey I still haven't got a reply from my moms' friend but I was thinking that I think the question is pretty simple like they said domain has to be greater than 1, therefore it can't be 0, and actually we were confused with what domain to take but since they said x>1 and we know f(x) range will be the domain of g(x) so if we place f(x)>1 you won't get a value for it except when f(x)>3, therefore, its obvious to say that x can only be 3 and up to infinity, and if you try values greater than 3 you'll find it tends towards 0, so I think its right to say 0<gf(x)≤1,
I gave it a thought its actually a reciprocal standard formuala (a/x-h)+k , so if we take 2/x-1 then this means the asymptotes are x=1 and y=0, and for x>1 the range has to be what I mentioned before,
does it make sense?
It's less than 1 not greater...if we use x<1 then the range would be 0<gfx<2/3

Reaction score
No we have to use the domain of f(x)
Yo they're saying the domain of g(x) has to be x>1, f(x) range is the domain of g(x), in other words, f(x)>1
f(x) can't be >1 but can be greater than 3 based on completed sq.form, therefore the range of gf(x) is 0<gf(x)<1

Reaction score
Yo they're saying the domain of g(x) has to be x>1, f(x) range is the domain of g(x), in other words, f(x)>1
f(x) can't be >1 but can be greater than 3 based on completed sq.form, therefore the range of gf(x) is 0<gf(x)<1
Here I've got the answers

Attachments

• 9709_m19_ws_12.pdf
    359.4 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
We have to take the domain of the inner function which is f
This doesn't become a composite function like that! isn't the range of f(x) the domain of g(x)??
Is this the official ms?
Like all the questions I've solved is literally nothing like this!