• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
for approximation questions, when do you +0.5 and when do you -0.5? im always confused with this. e.g using a suitable approximation, find the probability that more than 155 people wore a watch on their left wrist. what if they asked for less than 155? or at least? or at most?

Reaction score
weelll for green gage one.....i was doing lykk this that....figured out when twoGS are 2gether....not exactly two...meany two and three both are there.....so got 8!/3!......and then wanted to subtract form when there were 3 Gs 2gether that is 7!/3!.......bt ms says 2* 7!/3!...plxx smbody tell me what i m overcounting @Khan_97171 plx anser thisss

Reaction score
View attachment 10595

how to do this? last question is always the hardest of all!!!
find the probability of ronnie winning the game from first draw so P(GY) and add to P(GGGY) ronnie winning it after his 2nd draw and then add it to P(GGGGGY) ronnie winning it after his 3rd and last draw as 3 yellow balls are only found so 3 trials are max

Reaction score
q7 (iii) event X is the answer from (i) and event Y is the probability of getting a ball numbered 2 from bag A so P(y) = 1/4
now you need to find the probability of (X and Y) i.e p(exactly two balls selected have the same number and ball selected from bag A is 2) so what this means is that you will have to find the probability that the ball selected from bag A is 2 and the ball selected from bag C is also 2. which leads to =1/4 *1/7 =1/28
P(X and Y) is P(x)*P(y) = 47/140 *1/4. since these two probabilities dont match events are not independent

Reaction score
View attachment 10595

how to do this? last question is always the hardest of all!!!
Probability of getting a 3= 1/6
P of getting att least one 3= 1-P(0 3s)

P(0)= (5/6)^9
therefore AnsWER: 0.806

part 11) against, if prob of getting at least one 3 >.9. then Prob of not getting any is
1-p(0) >.9
-p(o)>-.1
p(0)<.1
(5/6)^n <.1
nlog(5/6) > log .1
n>12.63. Therefore least n=13

Reaction score
weelll for green gage one.....i was doing lykk this that....figured out when twoGS are 2gether....not exactly two...meany two and three both are there.....so got 8!/3!......and then wanted to subtract form when there were 3 Gs 2gether that is 7!/3!.......bt ms says 2* 7!/3!...plxx smbody tell me what i m overcounting @Khan_97171 plx anser thisss
i dont know :((

Reaction score
weelll for green gage one.....i was doing lykk this that....figured out when twoGS are 2gether....not exactly two...meany two and three both are there.....so got 8!/3!......and then wanted to subtract form when there were 3 Gs 2gether that is 7!/3!.......bt ms says 2* 7!/3!...plxx smbody tell me what i m overcounting Aarjit???question is Find the number of different ways in which the 9 letters of the word GREENGAGE can be
arranged if exactly two of the Gs are next to each other.
just tell my mistake......

Reaction score
thnks
q7 (iii) event X is the answer from (i) and event Y is the probability of getting a ball numbered 2 from bag A so P(y) = 1/4
now you need to find the probability of (X and Y) i.e p(exactly two balls selected have the same number and ball selected from bag A is 2) so what this means is that you will have to find the probability that the ball selected from bag A is 2 and the ball selected from bag C is also 2. which leads to =1/4 *1/7 =1/28
P(X and Y) is P(x)*P(y) = 47/140 *1/4. since these two probabilities dont match events are not independent
thnk alot <3 :D

Reaction score
weelll for green gage one.....i was doing lykk this that....figured out when twoGS are 2gether....not exactly two...meany two and three both are there.....so got 8!/3!......and then wanted to subtract form when there were 3 Gs 2gether that is 7!/3!.......bt ms says 2* 7!/3!...plxx smbody tell me what i m overcounting Aarjit???question is Find the number of different ways in which the 9 letters of the word GREENGAGE can be
arranged if exactly two of the Gs are next to each other.
just tell my mistake......

Well, this was how I'd solved it before:

Simply 'choose' 2 Gs out of 3, and the remaining 7 letters can be completely random!

G G _ _ _ _ _ _ _...............[consider GG to be 'attached' together so that it can alternate in 2! ways]

n = 2! x 3c2 x 7!.................. [but don't forget that there are 3 recurring Es too!]
..............3!
...= 5040...... Q.E.D

P.S. If you're still uncertain, let me know. I'll work in it one more time.