• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
assalamu 3alaikom guys, iam going to sit for my AS exam in oct/nov 2012 Mathematics (P1,M1) and seems that every thing is going great el7amdolilah, but iam just having trouble in trying to calculate the surface area or the volume of a figure , for example when a question comes asking abt to show that A= blah blah :p. and that find h in terms of r, for example , and then a diffrentiation question , the diff question is easy but the hardest thing for me is to find the SA so please help me! iam going to sit for my exam soon. Can u till me any tip for how to prepare for the math AS , P.S. i do solve PP's

Reaction score
A question from statistics 2 chapter:-sampling in statistics 2

can sum1 plzz show me the steps!!and is Continuity correction required?
minato112
whitecorp
leadingguy
leosco1995
nightrider1993
smzimran

5. The masses of kilogram bags of flour produced in a factory have a normal distribution
with mean 1.005 kg and standard deviation 0.0082 kg. A shelf in a store is loaded with
22 of these bags, assumed to be random sample.
(a) Find the probability that a randomly chosen bags has mass less than 1 kg.
(b) Find the probability that the mean mass of the 22 bags is less than 1 kg
State, giving a reason, which of the above answers would be little changed if the
distribution of masses were not normal.
Anyone reply plzzzzzz need it urgently

Reaction score
Well srry for l8 rep., was busy yesterD.

=> 2 sin^2(x) - sin x cos x - cos^2(x) = 0
=> (Divide by cos^2 (x) everywhere) => 2 tan^2 (x) - tan x - 1 = 0
=> (2 tan x + 1) (tan x - 1) = 0
=> tan x = (-1/2) or tan x = 1

tan x = (-1/2) :

x = 180 + [*tan inverse* (1/2) ] = 206.6
or x = 360 + [*tan inverse* (1/2) ] = 333.4

tan x = 1 :

x = *tan inverse* (1) = 45
or x = 180 + [*tan inverse* (1) ] = 225

Hope It helps.
ty very much for the reply late or not :) much appreciated

Reaction score
Need help plz for nov 2011 paper 33 no 6(ii) could you do it for me plz.. how to find the eqn of the circle and the no 4 too. i am stuck somewhere.
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_w11_qp_33.pdf
u have w. u can find out w^2
u have both the points. take their midpoint which will be the centre of the circle. that will be replaced by a and b. thn find the modulus of the 2 points which will be the distance between them. that will be the circumference. divide it by 2 to get the radius. radius will be k.

Reaction score
assalamu 3alaikom guys, iam going to sit for my AS exam in oct/nov 2012 Mathematics (P1,M1) and seems that every thing is going great el7amdolilah, but iam just having trouble in trying to calculate the surface area or the volume of a figure , for example when a question comes asking abt to show that A= blah blah :p. and that find h in terms of r, for example , and then a diffrentiation question , the diff question is easy but the hardest thing for me is to find the SA so please help me! iam going to sit for my exam soon. Can u till me any tip for how to prepare for the math AS , P.S. i do solve PP's
heyy!! :D Im sitting for this too in November :/ I hope all the best for both of us! Dont worry this kind of questions are easy... You can show me one question and i can help you solving it as much as i can and in return i need u to help me with the domain and range and trignoemty graphs , i dont know how to solve those... and can you tell me what year are u in now?? :D

Reaction score
Guys got a question for this paper:
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_s05_qp_1.pdf
Question 5. How to get C here? I understood everything else.

Can you explain the vector method mentioned there?
In fact there's a simple method where U can find C.

The method is:

The sum of x coordinates of two opposite points is equal to the sum of the x coordinates of the other two opposite. The same for y coordinates.

For U to better understand it:
Assuming the point A is (a, 0). (well U know the real value, I took it to be (a, 0) cuz' I dunno its real value)

Now take the point C to be (x , y)

Therefore, applying the above principle leads U to:
a + x = 2 + 6 = 8
Therefore x = 8 - a

Same for y:
0 + y = 10 + 2
Therefore y = 12

There the point C is ( 8-a , 12)

Hope it helps. :)

Reaction score

The key idea is to first find the unit vector representing vector AC, and since this would have a magnitude of 1, we can simply multiply it by a factor of
30 to scale it to the required length. In other words, the required vector is simply equal to 30* unit vector of AC.

Hope this helps. Peace.

Reaction score
heyy!! :D Im sitting for this too in November :/ I hope all the best for both of us! Dont worry this kind of questions are easy... You can show me one question and i can help you solving it as much as i can and in return i need u to help me with the domain and range and trignoemty graphs , i dont know how to solve those... and can you tell me what year are u in now?? :D
hey man , thx for the reply anyways am a senior, last year bro and i am doing my AS math in november , first of all not easy i have a big problems even though when they ask for radian and stuff am not good at geometry but u can post a question here and i can help solve and ill send the question as an inbox :)