• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
whitecorp and others
need some help here integrating:
find the volume of the solid formed when the graph of y = (1/x*2) between x=1 and x=2 is rotated about the x - axis.
answer is: 2 Π ln2

Is that y=1/(x^2) ? Because if it is then I am positive the answer you provided is incorrect.

Reaction score
Is that y=1/(x^2) ? Because if it is then I am positive the answer you provided is incorrect.
yes it is.....the textbook says the answer is 2.pi.ln2....what answer did you get...and how did you arrive at it? the textbook might be wrong

Reaction score
whitecorp plz help me with second one :(

The series 1+3+5+...........+(2n-1) constitutes an arithmetic progression (AP) that has n terms in all, first term of value 1 and common difference =2.
Then we can simply use formula for sum to n terms, which is given by (number of terms divided by 2)*(sum of first term and last term)
=n/2 * (1+2n-1) = n/2 * (2n) =n^2 (shown)

Hope this helps. Peace.

Reaction score
The series 1+3+5+...........+(2n-1) constitutes an arithmetic progression (AP) that has n terms in all, first term of value 1 and common difference =2.
Then we can simply use formula for sum to n terms, which is given by (number of terms divided by 2)*(sum of first term and last term)
=n/2 * (1+2n-1) = n/2 * (2n) =n^2 (shown)

Hope this helps. Peace.
Thnx :) bt hw do v show that it is always a perfect square?

Reaction score
bamteck
For Question#3, we apply the parallelogram rule and hence construct a disgram like this is mind. Then take one of the two triangles and apply sine rule to them. If you consider the first triangle in the diagram below, then Q/sin40 = 12/sin60. Solve this to get the value of Q directly as 8.91
Q_3.JPG

Reaction score
@bamtech For Q#4, i've resolved the 5N force in the direction of the 40cm string. The force will hence be 5/cos A if A is the angle formed b/w the 5N force and its component. Applying sine rule to the triangle and using the given lengths, we first find the angle formed b/w PS and AS which is 36.9. Then considering the right-angled triangle formed, you just subtract 90+36.9 out of 180 to find the angle between PS and its vertical. The angle is equal to A(as its vertically opp.) and when put into 5/cos A gives you the tension in the string PS.
Q4.JPG

Reaction score
@bamtech For Q#4, i've resolved the 5N force in the direction of the 40cm string. The force will hence be 5/cos A if A is the angle formed b/w the 5N force and its component. Applying sine rule to the triangle and using the given lengths, we first find the angle formed b/w PS and AS which is 36.9. Then considering the right-angled triangle formed, you just subtract 90+36.9 out of 180 to find the angle between PS and its vertical. The angle is equal to A(as its vertically opp.) and when put into 5/cos A gives you the tension in the string PS.
View attachment 16174

thanks a lot :)
much appreciated ! :)