• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
i got that much but in the ms the value of z is 1.253 for 6 and i am not getting that value of z for my equation

P(X<6)=0.105 Let (6-mean)/sd be a
P(Z<a)=0.105
a is negative (im not sure how you've been taught to determine whether a is -ve or +ve. What we do is that if both the sign is less than, i.e <, and the probability is less than 0.5, or if both are more than, then a is -ve)
1- Fi(a)= 0.105
Fi(a)= 0.895
a= -1.253

Reaction score
The identities you have to know is tanx = sinx/cosx
and sin^2x + cos^2x = 1
and from the above u can also see cos^2x = 1-sin^2x

Now this is very messy, i would suggest to write what you see in paper...since it isnt neat on pc. And check Steel Arm post below...it is nicely represented !

1-tan^2(x) / 1+tan^2(x)
1-[ sin^2(x) / cos^2(x)] / 1 + [sin^2(x) / cos^2(x)]
now multiply every term with cos^2(x)
cos^2(x) - sin^2(x) / cos^2(x) + sin^2(x)
cos^2(x) - sin^2(x) / 1
(1-sin^2(x)) - sin^2(x)
1-2sin^2(x)

can any one help me bro's ???
q no. 1 q5 (ii)

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...S Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_s10_qp_11.pdf

Reaction score
AoA! You could maximize the expression (2 sin^2 x - 3 cos^2 x) by maximizing the value with the positive coefficient and minimizing the value with the negative coefiicient. Max (sin^2 x) = 1 and min(cos^2 x) = 0. So, the max value of f(x) = 2(1) - 3(0) = 2.

To minimize the expression, minimize the value with the positive coefficient and maximize the value with the negative coefficient. Min(sin^2 x) = 0 and max(cos^2 x) = 1. So, the minimum would be = 2(0) - 3(1) = -3.

Tee hee! :D

Reaction score
AoA! You could maximize the expression (2 sin^2 x - 3 cos^2 x) by maximizing the value with the positive coefficient and minimizing the value with the negative coefiicient. Max (sin^2 x) = 1 and min(cos^2 x) = 0. So, the max value of f(x) = 2(1) - 3(0) = 2.

To minimize the expression, minimize the value with the positive coefficient and maximize the value with the negative coefficient. Min(sin^2 x) = 0 and max(cos^2 x) = 1. So, the minimum would be = 2(0) - 3(1) = -3.

Tee hee! :D

thanks dude ... thats not the way we got taugh in school ... so probably i wont understand it ::: any way thanks for helping ......... if there is other way .. it will be much better ..if not (thanks )
can u do no. 1

Reaction score
thanks dude ... thats not the way we got taugh in school ... so probably i wont understand it ::: any way thanks for helping ......... if there is other way .. it will be much better ..if not (thanks )
can u do no. 1
No problem, dude. Even if it isn't the way you were taught, I hope it made some sense. :)
Q5. Use the identity sin^2 x = 1 - cos^2 x over here and you'll have it solved.
(P.S. Just a bit of advice: If you learn to adapt to new methods, things can work quite smoothly for you. :) )

Reaction score
Can anyone please help me in solving this question and if he/she would be extra clear when explaining
Thanks in advanc ;)

Attachments

• IMAG0647.jpg
    IMAG0647.jpg
    998 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
No problem, dude. Even if it isn't the way you were taught, I hope it made some sense. :)
Q5. Use the identity sin^2 x = 1 - cos^2 x over here and you'll have it solved.
(P.S. Just a bit of advice: If you learn to adapt to new methods, things can work quite smoothly for you. :) )
I am jumping into you conversation out of nowhere but I had the same problem... My question is, how'd you know that max (sin^2 x) = 1 and min(cos^2 x) = 0?

Reaction score
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_s07_qp_1.pdf
Please help me solve qn no. 8 (i & ii).. an explanation will be appreciated.

Thanks!

f(x) = a+bcos 2x
f(0)=−1
=> a + bcos 2(0) = -1

Solve cos 2(0) in radian mode.
=> a + b = -1

and f(π/2) = 7
=> a + bcos 2(π/2) = 7
=> a - b =7

Solve them as simultaneous equations.

a + b = -1
a - b =7

a will be 3 and b -4.

Part ii)

y would be 0 when the curve intersects the x axis.
Putting the values of a and b found in i, the equation becomes
=> 3 - 4cos2x

And because y=0

3 - 4cos2x = o

I guess u can solve the rest.
Hope I helped!

Reaction score
A PROBABILITY QUESTION

Helen has some black tiles, some white tiles and some grey tiles. She places a single row of
8 tiles above her washbasin. Each tile she places is equally likely to be black, white or grey.
Find the probability that there are no tiles of the same colour next to each other

The ans is 128/2187

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Reaction score
I am jumping into you conversation out of nowhere but I had the same problem... My question is, how'd you know that max (sin^2 x) = 1 and min(cos^2 x) = 0?
The range of both the sine and cosine functions is -1 to 1. The range of their squares would be from 0 to 1 [ (-1)^2 = 1 ].

Reaction score
Plz help me with these questions guys..
1) Solve: 2^(2x-1) < 3^(3x-2)
2) Solve: (3* Mod(x)) / (x-1) < 2 , where Mod() means modulus or absolute value.
I would be very grateful.

Reaction score
A PROBABILITY QUESTION

Helen has some black tiles, some white tiles and some grey tiles. She places a single row of
8 tiles above her washbasin. Each tile she places is equally likely to be black, white or grey.
Find the probability that there are no tiles of the same colour next to each other

The ans is 128/2187

Any help will be highly appreciated.
yo terminator! so c now ther r 8 tiles! so 1st calculate the probability of getting d same color tiles! tht wld be (1/3)^8.... now its 1/3 cause therz an equal probability of al three colors... so (1/3)^8 and multiplied by 3 cause ther r 3 different colors! so u get 1/6561 into 3 = 3/6561 which reduces to 1/2187.... now the question asks tht no same color tile shld b aside so u subtract tht frm 1.... 1-1/2187.... which gives 2187-1/2187 giving 2186/2187....... thou i dunno hw they get 127.... well thts til where i cld reach..

Dug

Reaction score