• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I am new to this part of Xtremepapers cuz i hv just finished my O levels n in these vacations i wanna study for A levels .Although i created a thread but there was no reply. Actually i need the name of the best books for Math A levels that most renown skools follow.
hey man, use this site will prepare u very well for the maths papers

http://www.examsolutions.net/

Reaction score
could you help me please? I'm having a hard time with number 5 (iii). I have got 2sec^2X - 1 - 2 secXtanX. There is a sign problem. :( :$
Please help me.

Similar to the question above that one, you'd simply have to expand ( sec + tan ) ^2
sec^2 + 2sectan + tan^2
sec^2 + 2sectan + sec^2 - 1
What's the problem?

Reaction score
Similar to the question above that one, you'd simply have to expand ( sec + tan ) ^2
sec^2 + 2sectan + tan^2
sec^2 + 2sectan + sec^2 - 1
What's the problem?

Thank you so much.........I had not link that part with the question above. Thank you. <3 ^^

Reaction score
Guys, number 7 ii and 8ii pls. Thanx!..
As for 7ii)
You have the derivative of the equation, also known as "y dash". To get the original curve you simply need to integrate. So...
5 becomes 5x and -8/x^2 becomes +8/x. However, there is the constant of integration, so the final thing is. y = 5x + 8/x + c.
Point P is on the curve thus it satisfies the curve's equation. Substitute with its coordinates to find c.

As for 8ii)
First you find the intersections with the x-axis ( By putting y = 0 ). Those will be the limits of integration. The volume needed has a specific formula which is PI *int(y^2 dx)
y^2 = 8x - x^2
int ( 8x - x^2 dx ) = 4x^2 - x^3 / 3
Substitute with the limits and don't forget to multiply by PI.

Reaction score
As for 7ii)
You have the derivative of the equation, also known as "y dash". To get the original curve you simply need to integrate. So...
5 becomes 5x and -8/x^2 becomes +8/x. However, there is the constant of integration, so the final thing is. y = 5x + 8/x + c.
Point P is on the curve thus it satisfies the curve's equation. Substitute with its coordinates to find c.

As for 8ii)
First you find the intersections with the x-axis ( By putting y = 0 ). Those will be the limits of integration. The volume needed has a specific formula which is PI *int(y^2 dx)
y^2 = 8x - x^2
int ( 8x - x^2 dx ) = 4x^2 - x^3 / 3
Substitute with the limits and don't forget to multiply by PI.

Thanx a lot! :D...However , I didn't understand something.The required volume is pi*y^2*dx....so before we integrate, dont we square the equation 8x -x^2????

Reaction score
Thanx a lot! :D...However , I didn't understand something.The required volume is pi*y^2*dx....so before we integrate, dont we square the equation 8x -x^2????

The equation itself is root(8x-x^2) so when it is squared, the root is just omitted and that's it. :)

Reaction score
Thanx a lot! :D..

Second part of the question is pretty easy, you just substitute with 2 in the given equation.

You find minimum/maximum of something by differentiating it, and equating the derived formula to zero. Thus to find the minimum of the GRADIENT you need to differentiate dy/dx. This would be 1-8/x^3 and this would be equal to zero when x = 2 . So how do we decide if it's a minimum or a maximum?

There are various ways, one of them would be substituting in the derived equation with a value smaller than 2 and a value greater than 2. If you do so with x =1 and 3 for example, you'd find that the derived formula changes from a negative(decreasing gradient) to a positive (increasing gradient) i.e. a minimum.

Another method would be simple substitution in the gradient equation. Since it's either a minimum or a maximum at x =2, compare the gradient with any value of x and that of 2 ( The second part of the question ), if the gradient of 2 is smaller then it must be a minimum, and that's the case given.

Reaction score
I need help ppl...
2007 may-jun p1 q11 (i),(ii)n (iii)
for (i) i jus wanna kno the part that says how do u kno its a decreasing function and for(ii) i jus wanna kno how to find the domain
thanx in advance