• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Maths, Addmaths and Statistics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Re: O'level Maths, Addmaths and Statistics help available he

I am just confused with part (a) in Q8.. otherwise the rest of the question isn't that difficult (but if part a = wrong, then the entire question goes wrong). Also, many questions are of like 2 or 3 marks but involve a lot of working. :(

Reaction score

leosco1995 said:
I am just confused with part (a) in Q8.. otherwise the rest of the question isn't that difficult (but if part a = wrong, then the entire question goes wrong). Also, many questions are of like 2 or 3 marks but involve a lot of working. :(
Don't worry mate ! e.c.f will aid you in such an event provided that you follow through the rest of the questions in an appropriate manner even though you used incorrect results from a previous part of the question in your calculations. :D

Reaction score

The first part of question 8 can be solved by identity method. F(x) is a degree1(maximum power of x=1) expression while gf(x) is a degree 2 exuation. By recognition we can see that g(x) will be a quadratic expression of the form ax^2+bx+c. Substitute the f(x) in.
a(2x-1)²+b(2x-1)+c=12x²-12x+5
Solve it by identity method. Find the values of a and b.
a(4x²-4x+1)+2bx-b+c=12x²-12x+5
4ax²-4ax+a+2bx-b+c=12x²-12x+5
Since the coefficient of x² is 4a and 12 respectively. 4a=12, a=3. Find b and c like this.
-4a+2b=-12
-4*3+2b=-12
b=0
a-b+c=5
3+c=5
c=2
Hence, g(x)=3(x)²+2

If you need help in the following parts, tell me. I'll be glad to help.

Reaction score

Q9 is not as difficult as it seems to be. The given equation is sin²x+3sinxcosx=4cos²x, you just need to use one identity that is tanx=sinx/cosx to convert the whole equation as a quadratic equation of tanx.
Divide the whole equation by cos²x. Which goes on like this; (sin²x/cos²x)+(3sinxcosx/cos²x)=(4cos²x/cos²x)
Simplify: (sin²x/cos²x)+3(sinx/cosx)=4
Use the identity to form the quadratic equation: tan²x+3tanx=4

Reaction score

@salmanpakrocks. It wasn't that simple. I haven't seen a function question like that. Not even in A'level maths. I just made up that identity method.

Reaction score

actually it wasnt really that hard :/

Reaction score

Yeah I couldn't solve it with the function !! :(
btw if we use function method then g(2x-1)=12x^2 - 12x + 5
is this correct can we subtitute the value of x now ?

Reaction score

Where will you substitute the value of x? You have to substitute the function F(x) in place of the x of g(x). And so you need an expression such as ax²+bx+c to solve this question. g(2x-1)=a(2x-1)²-b(2x-1)+5=12x²-12x+5
I don't see another method to solve this question.

Reaction score

@Harisshahzad: You can easily find an answer by trial and error method too. But this is a new type of question. Otherwise, there was nothing special about it. It was just a reverse process.

Reaction score

hamidali391 said:
Where will you substitute the value of x? You have to substitute the function F(x) in place of the x of g(x). And so you need an expression such as ax²+bx+c to solve this question. g(2x-1)=a(2x-1)²-b(2x-1)+5=12x²-12x+5
I don't see another method to solve this question.
yeah I did the same !! but answer is coming wrong !!

Reaction score

It's not the typical function question they normally give and I was really confused when I first saw it. :( Thanks for the solutions hamidali, it's much appreciated. :)

btw if we use function method then g(2x-1)=12x^2 - 12x + 5
Actually, this method does work. It just never occurred to me when I was giving the paper. :s

Reaction score

yeah answer from this method is coming wrong !!

Reaction score

I'm getting 3x^2+2 with both methods..

Reaction score

@salmanpakrocks: Try looking at my solution and then solve the question.
This method is supposed to end up like what I did. You just can't do it by using the inverse. Leosco can you elaborate the second method. How do you go ahead after g(2x-1).

Reaction score

I found the inverse of 2x-1 ((x+1)/2) and placed it on the other side of the equation, like this:

Isn't it possible to solve it like this? :?

Reaction score

That did work perfectly. Great job. You solved it yourself in the end. :) This was a better way than mine. A straightforward process.

Reaction score

Yeah, but I still owe a lot of thanks to you and Salman for helping me out with this question and the other one. :)

Reaction score

AOA people!
This is a one mark question from maths paper 1: 1/p + 1/q = 7/12. Find the integers p and q.
Well, instinctively I knew the answers would be 3 and 4 but can there be a method for these type of questions? I just need a proper method.