• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Maths, Addmaths and Statistics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
For the last part u have to use t as the time where both of the objects meet at one point so u have to do this first find the position vector at time t by first multiplying t to velocity vector and then add it to the original position vector now equate both equations together as at t the position vector of both are same now u get t !
After finding t insert t into any of the position vectors at time t and here u have the position vector at the point of intersection !
i did the same but the time equals to 0 in the end i'll do it once more. anyways thanks :)

Reaction score
Scouser,Can you please make a diagram and show it to me?I got 45 km/h but just cant seen to make the diagram.Isnt the formula VL/s = VL- Vs ? :) KTBFFH.

Reaction score
I think we should have a seperate thread for O Levels Add maths .. because i am pretty sure O level maths students are pissed at us for discussing something which kinda goes over their heads :D

what do you add maths students say ? :p

Reaction score
Scouser,Can you please make a diagram and show it to me?I got 45 km/h but just cant seen to make the diagram.Isnt the formula VL/s = VL- Vs ? :) KTBFFH.

Make sure u connect the - Velocity of s and not + !
And connect the Velocity of S at the destination !
If u still dont get it ill make a random sketch and show u !

Reaction score
I think we should have a seperate thread for O Levels Add maths .. because i am pretty sure O level maths students are pissed at us for discussing something which kinda goes over their heads :D

what do you add maths students say ? :p
i agree! i have many problems in add maths and no teacher to help me!

Reaction score
First find the relative velocity im pretty sure u guys know that :D
use the equation
V(L/S) = V(L) + (-V(S))
then use a scale of possibly 1 cm = 5km/h and plot a relative velocity line at a bearing of 270* which should if i remember it correctly about 9 cm then make an arrow showing that its moving towards the left !
Now connect the -V(s) line towards the left end of the relative velocity line u made before in such a way that u make 150* so the angle between the relative line and this new line is 60* now this line should be of 3 cm !
Last just join the remaining line to the figure and u got the diagram now use cosine rule for first part then sine rule and a bit of bearing knowledge in second part that all :D
i can't get the bearing! i have found the angle between the velocity of ship and lifeboat using the sine rule it comes to 79 and then i minus 30 from it to get the bearing. but the answer is wrong!:(!!

Reaction score
If your query is answered, ignore this, as i am a bit late

for 4 digit number greater than 3000, the first number can be any one from 3,4,5,6 so 4C1
for the next three digits out of 5 the arrangement can be as follows : 5P3
so answer is 4C1 * 5P3 = 240

see if this image helps :
admaths 1.JPG

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International O Level/Mathematics - Additional (4037)/4037_s11_qp_21.pdf i can't find the correct second value of z in question 10 part iii it's about trigonometry
tell me if this helps:

Scanner Pics 005.jpg
Scanner Pics 006.jpg

Reaction score
4 Six-digit numbers are to be formed using the digits 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 9. Each digit may only be
used once in any number.
(iv) even and greater than 500 000. [3]
for greater than 500 000, the condition would be that the first digit contains 5,6,7,9
for even, the condition would be that the last digit contains 4,6
the problem here is that if we take four as last digit, we will have choice of 4 numbers for first digit, but if we take 6 as last digit, only three numbers could be chosen from for first digit. the numbers in between are arranged as 4! .
so the two conditions would be:
4C1 * 4! * 1 = 96 IN CASE OF FOUR
3C1 * 4! * 1 = 72 IN CASE OF SIX
THE RESULT WOULD BE 96 + 72 =168

Reaction score
Can you just make a diagram using velocities? Distance and velocity on the same diagram is confusing. -_-