• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Maths, Addmaths and Statistics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
plz explain this question to me
The function y = 5x2 - 4x + 12. Write down its derivative and show that when x = 6, a small increase in x of p% causes an increase in y of approximately 2p%.

Reaction score
plz explain this question to me
The function y = 5x2 - 4x + 12. Write down its derivative and show that when x = 6, a small increase in x of p% causes an increase in y of approximately 2p%.
sorry for being late and for my extremely bad handwriting but it is difficult to write on trackpad. the steps are pretty self explanatory but if u need further explanation tell me. the solution is in the image attached.

Attachments

• solution.png
    solution.png
    98 KB · Views: 44
Reaction score
Help needed on these questions of trigonometry..!

sin QRS = sin (180-QRS) = sin QRP
So sin QRP = 3/8

NOW USE SINE RULE

sin QRP = sin PQR
7 = 4

so sin PQR = 3/8*4/7 = 12/56 = 3/14

in 2nd part just use COSINE RULE - dont take cose inverse in the end

4290.gif

Reaction score
Can anyone check my solution???
View attachment 21153
That's wrong: you've made an error in expansion of (-4-2p)^2. It should be 16 + 16p +4p^2.
Secondly, when the question asks you to prove something, you have to show that whatever is stated in the question is true. You simply started off with a '>=' right away-which is undoubtedly an improper approach.
You have to work out the discriminant, which will be 4 . Then, you need to state that since the discriminant is a positive constant, the equation has real roots for all real values of p.