• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

MCAT EQUIVALENCE (THIS IS IMPORTANT)

Did you understand the procedure for calculating final aggregate scores?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
I'm sorry I don't know anyone for Peshawar. But you MUST repeat. A* should be your aim

To get them with an AS like this is near next to impossible. To be honest actually a lot of things in p4 come from AS. There was a nearly 20 mark question in chemistry p4 that was totally AS organic. So if you give whole of alevels, you probably would have an advantage over those who are giving only A2 (as they would have a tough time recalling AS things in paper)

Reactions: omg
Reaction score
ohk thanku very much for the advice .. il definitly consider :).. nd yeah i agree AS A2 combined is an advantage

Reaction score
hey by the way i have done edexcel o levels and a levels?? so does it have any affect in the admission? I mean i havent done cie. and what i know is that edexcel checking is much tougher than cie checking. I am not sure but much of the people have said that. Hope you can tell me something in this regard. Thanks a bunch. :D

Reaction score
So how much grades should we obtain in a levels?? I mean i dont think so that everyone getting admission in medical college have A stars with them. Some mayy have A or B grades with them, but C grade is not satisfactory for medical students. And for that equivalence stuff how did you know that? did you consult someone or you predicted from your own mind?
And in case of entry test, it is the main thing in which we all medical students need to get maximum marks. Because most of the weightage is of a levels and entry test. I am not sure if o level grades matter that much, i mean obviously it does add up to our a level grades. But you have emphasised o level grades much more than a level grades, which doesnt seem true. I am not saying that you shouldnt take your o levels grade seriously, but one thing i would remind you is that o level is very much basic and most of our entry test would come from a levels. O levels just gave you basic science knowledge and moreover it has 10% weightage only. :)

Reaction score
it doesnot matter edexcel or cie olevels, they have the same grading criteria as far as equivalence is concerned

90 for A*
85 for A
75 for B
65 for C

We learned about the whole thing by our own experience

I had 3A* in alevels, i thought my HSSC equivalence would be 90%
But it wasnot. This is because I had 7A* and 1A in olevel. My HSSc equivalence was in 89% something as olevel grades were added

As far as Alevel grades and Olevel grades are concerned. Olevel grades are VERY IMPORTANT. It seems strange but it is true. Point is in Fsc you have I think 4-5 subjects like pakst, urdu, eng and sciences along with islamiat

In alevel you have only 3. So, probably try to balance out the subjects they add your Olevel marks into Alevel marks

As far as weightage is concerned.

HSSC counts 40%
But you know what. HSSC consists of 1100 marks

800 comes from 8 subjects in olevel
ONLY 300 come from Alevel

So overall considering the 10% SSC and 40% HSSC, your Olevel grades constitute around 80% of your overall equivalence

MCAT is around 50% for govt medical colleges in punjab. So yes mcat is very important

Reaction score
it doesnot matter edexcel or cie olevels, they have the same grading criteria as far as equivalence is concerned

90 for A*
85 for A
75 for B
65 for C

We learned about the whole thing by our own experience

I had 3A* in alevels, i thought my HSSC equivalence would be 90%
But it wasnot. This is because I had 7A* and 1A in olevel. My HSSc equivalence was in 89% something as olevel grades were added

As far as Alevel grades and Olevel grades are concerned. Olevel grades are VERY IMPORTANT. It seems strange but it is true. Point is in Fsc you have I think 4-5 subjects like pakst, urdu, eng and sciences along with islamiat

In alevel you have only 3. So, probably try to balance out the subjects they add your Olevel marks into Alevel marks

As far as weightage is concerned.

HSSC counts 40%
But you know what. HSSC consists of 1100 marks

800 comes from 8 subjects in olevel
ONLY 300 come from Alevel

So overall considering the 10% SSC and 40% HSSC, your Olevel grades constitute around 80% of your overall equivalence

MCAT is around 50% for govt medical colleges in punjab. So yes mcat is very important

Well you are right friend. :) Thanks a bunch.

But if someone gets A or B in o levels and A or B or Straight As in A levels and maximum marks in mcat, then is that person still eligible Because as i said that its not necessary that all the a star students would end up getting admission in medical colleges.

In edexcel, paper difficulty and grade boundaries vary each session which probably is not the case with cie system. So it affects the students end result and performance. But still its about hard work. I mean one should do his or her best. :)

Reaction score
If I was born in Karachi but I did my Cie's from punjab will my domicile be from sindh or punjab?
Plus is there any favoritism if i carry an american nationaity?
Is there a quota system in Sindh?
What was the merit list in Karachi, especially DOW?
Does Dow do any favoritism if your parent is a graduate from there univeristy?

Reaction score
Is it easy to get into AKU with 3A*,2A* and 3B
and in AS if you have 4B's and trying to convert them into A's
Urgent Reply Please!!! Extremely Confused!!!

Reaction score
If I was born in Karachi but I did my Cie's from punjab will my domicile be from sindh or punjab?
Plus is there any favoritism if i carry an american nationaity?
Is there a quota system in Sindh?
What was the merit list in Karachi, especially DOW?
Does Dow do any favoritism if your parent is a graduate from there univeristy?
hmmm... Do you have an NIC? I dont know, from where you will get your domicile

Well as far as punjab is concerned there are 10 reserved seats for foreign passport holders. But fee is $10,000 annually

I dont know about Sindh sorry

Well I know people with 6A in olevel who are in AKU
Grades are a consideration, but I guess the most important thing is interview

I would say give whole of Alevels (not just the A2). If you want to medicine for sure then only 8 subjects count for equivalence in olevel. And only 3 for alevel. Drop the 4th alevel subject if you want.

You MUST give phy, chem and bio in Alevel

Reaction score
Well ask your father to get you a domicile then. That is the only way to find out

Reaction score
MBBS GUIDE

LOOK YOUR OLEVEL GRADES COUNTS A LOT, IT COUNTS FULLY FOR YOUR SSC (OLEVEL) EQUIVALENCE.

YOUR HSSC EQUIVALENCE (OLEVEL + ALEVEL EQUIVALENCE). HSSC EQUIVALENCE BASICALLY CONSISTS OF 1100 MARKS. 800 COME FROM OLEVELS AND ONLY 300 FROM ALEVEL (A TOTAL OF 1100).

SO O LEVELS BECOMES MORE IMPORTANT THAN A LEVELS FOR MEDICAL (BOTH ARE IMPORTANT FOR YOU THOUGH)

I KNOW THIS SOUNDS STRANGE THAT FOR YOUR HSSC EQUIVALENCE, YOUR OLEVEL GRADES ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOUR A LEVEL GRADES, BUT THIS IS HOW IT WORKS HERE. SORRY!

SSC EQUIVALENCE
·Calculate your O level marks for 8 subjects
Physics, Chemistry, Biology, English, Urdu (doesn’t matter 1st or 2nd language), Mathematics, Islamiat and Pakistan studies

90 for A*, 85 for A, 75 for B, 65 for C, 55 for D

·Add all your marks
Me (7A* and 1A)
(7*90) + (1*85)
=715

IM NOT SURE BUT I DONT THINK THAT YOU CAN GIVE EXAMS IN THREE CONSECUTIVE SESSIONS BY DIVIDING YOUR 8 SUBJECTS BETWEEN JUNE 2012, THEN NOV 2012 AND THEN IN JUNE 2013

EITHER YOU GIVE ALL 8 SUBJECTS IN 1 SESSION, OR IN 2 SESSIONS WITH A MAXIMUM OF 1 YEAR GAP BETWEEN THE TWO SESSIONS.

IT WOULD BE BETTER IF YOU ARE TO CONFIRM THIS WITH IBCC

·Divide your new total by 800 and then multiply by 900
715/800 into 900 =804
you will get your olevel equivalence
mine was 804/900
89.4%

HSSC LEVEL EQUIVALENCE
·For HSSC equivalence ADD YOUR OLEVEL TOTAL FROM 800 (NOT 900)+ 3 subjects from A level (Physics, Chemistry and Biology. The rest like AICT, Mathematics DO NOT COUNT)
·(same 90 for A*, 85 for A etc)
·i had 3A*(in Physics, Chemistry and Biology) in Alevels and 1A in History. Since History doesn’t count for equivalence
so, for me 715 [from olevels out of 800] + (3*90) [from the 3A* in alevel sciences] = 985
This is you’re HSSC equivalence 985/1100
89.54%

AGGREGATE SCORE FOR GOVERNMENT MEDICAL COLLEGES
For government medical colleges aggregate score is calculated by

Ø SSC equivalence counts 10%
Ø HSSC equivalence counts 40% (IM SURE YOU NOW KNOW OLEVEL GRADES COUNT A WAY LOT IN YOUR ALEVEL GRADES HERE)
ØUHS MCAT 50%

·Divide your SSC equivalence percentage by 10, lets call the answer as ‘S'
89.4/10
So, ‘S’ = 8.94

·Divide your HSSC equivalence by 1100 and multiply by 40, lets call the answer as ‘H’
985/1100 into 40
So, ‘H’ = 35.81

·Add ‘S’ and ‘H’. Suppose the answer is ‘T’
8.94+35.81
So, ‘T’ = 44.75

·Subtract the answer ‘T’ from 86%. The answer is suppose ‘M’
86% is your FINAL AGGREGATE FOR AMEER-UD DIN MEDICAL COLLEGE (the lowest merit in lahore for 2012)
86-44.75 = 41.25

·Now divide ‘M’ by 50 and multiply by 1100. This will tell you the minimum marks that you must get in MCAT
41.25/50 into 1100 = 908
So, 908 marks are needed from 1100 in the UHS MCAT

Look even with 997 in MCAT out of 1100, my merit in MCAT test was 404th. So, 403 students scored higher than me in MCAT test.

THIS IS FOR PUNJAB MEDICAL COLLEGES

FOR LOCAL CANDIDATES ONLY
Government Medical Colleges in Lahore (Merit list 2012)

King Edward Medical University 90.0039%,
Allama Iqbal Medical College 88.2342%,
Services Institute of Medical Science 87.0152%
Fatima Jinnah Medical College (FOR FEMALE CANDIDATES ONLY) 86.5108%,
Ameer-ud-Din Medical College 86.0117%

BUT THIS CAN VARY BY 1 to 2%. USUALLY IT GOES ABOVE THAN GOING DOWN AS COMPETITION INCREASES EVERY YEAR.

FROM 2011, THE MERIT INCREASED BY A WHOPPING 2%

PRIVATE MEDICAL COLLEGES IN LAHORE
This includes CMH, Fatima memorial, Lmdc and Sheikh Zayed
For CMH merit goes to about 80%. So to get admission, you must get 80% or above as your aggregate score. The aggregate score for CMH is calculated by

SSC equivalence counts 10%
HSSC equivalence counts 40% (IM SURE YOU NOW KNOW OLEVEL GRADES COUNT A WAY LOT THAN YOUR ALEVEL GRADES)
UHS MCAT 37.5%
CMH Test 12.5%

I dont know about the Fatima Memorial test percentage or that of Lmdc (instead of the 12.5% of CMH), but I am assuming similar procedure (but do ask)
So you still need to score at least 80%% in your UHS MCAT to have a chance. UHS MCAT is necessary for getting admission into any private medical college in Punjab

Whole 5 year MBBS in a government college will cost 1 lac (15,000 rs ANNUAL fee), while for private medical colleges you would need to pay around 30 lacs for 5 years (annual fee would be 6 lacs). So, the 29 lacs you save over 5 years can be used to go abroad for specialization after MBBS.

For Punjab govt medical colleges, if you are offered a job by the Punjab govt, then you must serve the government for 5 years (including 2 years in a rural area) or pay Rs.5 lakhs

So total cost for government medical colleges becomes 6 laks

NOTE VERY IMPORTANT
STUDENTS WHO GAVE CIE EXAMS IN COUNTRY OTHER THAN PAKISTAN
All Pakistani nationals appearing for examinations from Pakistan shall have to pass Urdu, Islamiyat, Pakistan Studies and Mathematics along with other required subjects to qualify for equivalence.
If a Pakistani/dual national candidate studies and appears for examination from abroad, Urdu, Islamiyat and Pakistan Studies will not be considered compulsory requirements.
¨Some candidates give Olevels from a foreign country but give Alevels from Pakistan
¨In that case, these students MUST give 8 subjects in Olevels (Pakistan Studies, Islamiyat and Urdu) instead of 5
Thankyou for this amazing post. Can you please tell me where i stand: I have 8A*s in O Levels and hopefully 3A*s in A levels (IA). Now how much minimum marks do i need in MCAT to qualify for KEMU. And if you could post another thread just for AGA KHAN UNIVERSITY, i'll be greatly obliged. Thanks once again :D

Reaction score
Thankyou for this amazing post. Can you please tell me where i stand: I have 8A*s in O Levels and hopefully 3A*s in A levels (IA). Now how much minimum marks do i need in MCAT to qualify for KEMU. And if you could post another thread just for AGA KHAN UNIVERSITY, i'll be greatly obliged. Thanks once again :D
That'll be a 990+ in the MCAT to bring you at 90%. :)

Reaction score
But in the end, even though a CIE medical kid gets 8A*s in O levels and 3A*s in A levels, won't another pre-medical kid who does F.Sc instead have more of an advantage becuase of the equivalency that occurs in A levels.
I'm asking this because I have myself just taken my O levels, and I have to immediately decide whether to take A levels or F.Sc.

Reaction score
But in the end, even though a CIE medical kid gets 8A*s in O levels and 3A*s in A levels, won't another pre-medical kid who does F.Sc instead have more of an advantage becuase of the equivalency that occurs in A levels.
I'm asking this because I have myself just taken my O levels, and I have to immediately decide whether to take A levels or F.Sc.
If you score straight A*s in both O and A Levels, your merit equivalency will stand at 45% out of a 50%. That is equivalent to almost 950 marks in both matric and FSc. At the end it is not the marks that matter, but how you choose to study. It all depends on you - whether you prefer personal grooming or you value cramming more so you could get into a uni.

Reaction score
That's not the thing mate. I've already all the grooming I want, and the next two years before the MCAT are nothing except studying. Everyone suggests FSc because it boosts your HSSC marks(which are 40%) because of the equivalency in A levels. However, what if we don't get more than 990 marks in FSc anyways, then wouldn't it have been better to have done A levels and have gotten three A*s instead? Or will the o levels also count more, since I don't know if I'll get 8 A*s in the mandatory subjects.

Reaction score
You sure? Won't students who did F.Sc get more chances because of there being no equivalency for F.Sc compared to A levels?