• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

MCAT EQUIVALENCE (THIS IS IMPORTANT)

Did you understand the procedure for calculating final aggregate scores?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
MBBS GUIDE
LOOK YOUR OLEVEL GRADES COUNTS A LOT, IT COUNTS FULLY FOR YOUR SSC (OLEVEL) EQUIVALENCE.
YOUR HSSC EQUIVALENCE (OLEVEL + ALEVEL EQUIVALENCE). HSSC EQUIVALENCE BASICALLY CONSISTS OF 1100 MARKS. 800 COME FROM OLEVELS AND ONLY 300 FROM ALEVEL (A TOTAL OF 1100).
SO O LEVELS BECOMES MORE IMPORTANT THAN A LEVELS FOR MEDICAL (BOTH ARE IMPORTANT FOR YOU THOUGH)
I KNOW THIS SOUNDS STRANGE THAT FOR YOUR HSSC EQUIVALENCE, YOUR OLEVEL GRADES ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOUR A LEVEL GRADES, BUT THIS IS HOW IT WORKS HERE. SORRY!
SSC EQUIVALENCE
·Calculate your O level marks for 8 subjects​
Physics, Chemistry, Biology, English, Urdu (doesn’t matter 1st or 2nd language), Mathematics, Islamiat and Pakistan studies​
90 for A*, 85 for A, 75 for B, 65 for C, 55 for D​
·Add all your marks​
Me (7A* and 1A)​
(7*90) + (1*85)​
=715​
IM NOT SURE BUT I DONT THINK THAT YOU CAN GIVE EXAMS IN THREE CONSECUTIVE SESSIONS BY DIVIDING YOUR 8 SUBJECTS BETWEEN JUNE 2012, THEN NOV 2012 AND THEN IN JUNE 2013
EITHER YOU GIVE ALL 8 SUBJECTS IN 1 SESSION, OR IN 2 SESSIONS WITH A MAXIMUM OF 1 YEAR GAP BETWEEN THE TWO SESSIONS.
IT WOULD BE BETTER IF YOU ARE TO CONFIRM THIS WITH IBCC
·Divide your new total by 800 and then multiply by 900​
715/800 into 900 =804​
you will get your olevel equivalence​
mine was 804/900​
89.4%​
HSSC LEVEL EQUIVALENCE
·For HSSC equivalence ADD YOUR OLEVEL TOTAL FROM 800 (NOT 900)+ 3 subjects from A level (Physics, Chemistry and Biology. The rest like AICT, Mathematics DO NOT COUNT)
·(same 90 for A*, 85 for A etc)​
·i had 3A*(in Physics, Chemistry and Biology) in Alevels and 1A in History. Since History doesn’t count for equivalence​
so, for me 715 [from olevels out of 800] + (3*90) [from the 3A* in alevel sciences] = 985​
This is you’re HSSC equivalence 985/1100​
89.54%​
AGGREGATE SCORE FOR GOVERNMENT MEDICAL COLLEGES
For government medical colleges aggregate score is calculated by​
Ø SSC equivalence counts 10%​
Ø HSSC equivalence counts 40% (IM SURE YOU NOW KNOW OLEVEL GRADES COUNT A WAY LOT IN YOUR ALEVEL GRADES HERE)
ØUHS MCAT 50%​
·Divide your SSC equivalence percentage by 10, lets call the answer as ‘S'
89.4/10​
So, ‘S’ = 8.94​
·Divide your HSSC equivalence by 1100 and multiply by 40, lets call the answer as ‘H’
985/1100 into 40​
So, ‘H’ = 35.81​
·Add ‘S’ and ‘H’. Suppose the answer is ‘T’
8.94+35.81​
So, ‘T’ = 44.75​
·Subtract the answer ‘T’ from 86%. The answer is suppose ‘M’
86% is your FINAL AGGREGATE FOR AMEER-UD DIN MEDICAL COLLEGE (the lowest merit in lahore for 2012)​
86-44.75 = 41.25​
·Now divide ‘M’ by 50 and multiply by 1100. This will tell you the minimum marks that you must get in MCAT​
41.25/50 into 1100 = 908​
So, 908 marks are needed from 1100 in the UHS MCAT​
Look even with 997 in MCAT out of 1100, my merit in MCAT test was 404th. So, 403 students scored higher than me in MCAT test.
THIS IS FOR PUNJAB MEDICAL COLLEGES
FOR LOCAL CANDIDATES ONLY
Government Medical Colleges in Lahore (Merit list 2012)
King Edward Medical University 90.0039%,
Allama Iqbal Medical College 88.2342%,
Services Institute of Medical Science 87.0152%
Fatima Jinnah Medical College (FOR FEMALE CANDIDATES ONLY) 86.5108%,
Ameer-ud-Din Medical College 86.0117%
BUT THIS CAN VARY BY 1 to 2%. USUALLY IT GOES ABOVE THAN GOING DOWN AS COMPETITION INCREASES EVERY YEAR.
FROM 2011, THE MERIT INCREASED BY A WHOPPING 2%
PRIVATE MEDICAL COLLEGES IN LAHORE
This includes CMH, Fatima memorial, Lmdc and Sheikh Zayed​
For CMH merit goes to about 80%. So to get admission, you must get 80% or above as your aggregate score. The aggregate score for CMH is calculated by​
SSC equivalence counts 10%​
HSSC equivalence counts 40% (IM SURE YOU NOW KNOW OLEVEL GRADES COUNT A WAY LOT THAN YOUR ALEVEL GRADES)​
UHS MCAT 37.5%​
CMH Test 12.5%​
I dont know about the Fatima Memorial test percentage or that of Lmdc (instead of the 12.5% of CMH), but I am assuming similar procedure (but do ask)​
So you still need to score at least 80%% in your UHS MCAT to have a chance. UHS MCAT is necessary for getting admission into any private medical college in Punjab​
Whole 5 year MBBS in a government college will cost 1 lac (15,000 rs ANNUAL fee), while for private medical colleges you would need to pay around 30 lacs for 5 years (annual fee would be 6 lacs). So, the 29 lacs you save over 5 years can be used to go abroad for specialization after MBBS.​
For Punjab govt medical colleges, if you are offered a job by the Punjab govt, then you must serve the government for 5 years (including 2 years in a rural area) or pay Rs.5 lakhs​
So total cost for government medical colleges becomes 6 laks​
NOTE VERY IMPORTANT
STUDENTS WHO GAVE CIE EXAMS IN COUNTRY OTHER THAN PAKISTAN
All Pakistani nationals appearing for examinations from Pakistan shall have to pass Urdu, Islamiyat, Pakistan Studies and Mathematics along with other required subjects to qualify for equivalence.
If a Pakistani/dual national candidate studies and appears for examination from abroad, Urdu, Islamiyat and Pakistan Studies will not be considered compulsory requirements.
¨Some candidates give Olevels from a foreign country but give Alevels from Pakistan
¨In that case, these students MUST give 8 subjects in Olevels (Pakistan Studies, Islamiyat and Urdu) instead of 5

Reaction score
anwar2400
AOA wr wb...
Thankyou so much.. abi tou i didnt appear for any olevels exam....but as i want to be a doctor...this wud help... :D

Reactions: omg
Reaction score
well am having plans for medical i gave 4 subjects in nov 2012 and now other 5 in june 2013 so it will be okay

Reaction score
anwar2400
AOA wr wb...
Thankyou so much.. abi tou i didnt appear for any olevels exam....but as i want to be a doctor...this wud help... :D
well am having plans for medical i gave 4 subjects in nov 2012 and now other 5 in june 2013 so it will be okay
YOU BOTH NEED AT LEAST 5A* AND 3A

TRY TO AIM FOR 8A* in
phy,chem,bio,math,isl,pakst,eng,urdu

Reaction score
anwar2400
AOA wr wb...
please read the thread again. I have edited it (ive added merit list for government colleges in Lahore and procedure for private medical colleges)

Reaction score
ØHave you obtained your Olevel equivalence certificate from IBCC?
If not, you need to get that made as soon as possible. IBCC can take a lot of time for it. When you're A Level result comes out, you'll need equivalence for that too. (Make an urgent equivalence for Alevels, so you don’t miss the deadline). Until and unless you have the Olevel equivalence, they won’t process your Alevel equivalence. You can’t give both of these for processing simultaneously.

ØWhat is the UHS MCAT entrance test based on?
The entrance test is based on the FSC books entirely. There's a syllabus given for the MCAT by UHS. You can check out this year's syllabus on their website. The content, however, will ALWAYS be from FSC, remember that. So you'll need to go over the FSC books. Buy the Punjab Textbook Board books for year 2013 (wait until June 2013 so they are available on the market). There's no alternative to the FSC books.

ØI've heard many A level students don’t make it into government medical colleges?
That is correct. O/A Level students can't get more than 90% in equivalence by the IBCC. Whereas, it isn't uncommon to hear of FSC students who have a score of a 1000 or more. (out of 1100)

On average, 30,000 people appear for the MCAT each year. Only 3000 get into government universities. The best government colleges are in Lahore with around maybe 800 seats. So, you must have at least 86% aggregate to be absolutely sure about getting admission in Lahore. 84.5% was cut off point for SIMS (Lahore). BUT THIS CAN VARY BY 0.5 TO 1%. USUALLY IT GOES ABOVE THAN GOING DOWN AS COMPETITION INCREASES EVERY YEAR.

Getting an admission in Lahore is not impossible, you just have to work hard.

ØWhat is the format for the UHS entrance test, is it all MCQ questions?
They are 220 MCQ’s. 30 from English, 44 from Physics, 58 from Chemistry and 88 from Biology. Each correct answer scores +5, each wrong one scores -1(negative marking), and a question unanswered gives you a zero.

ØI'll be giving finishing the whole A levels in June 2013 and so when will the entrance test dates be announced?
My MCAT this year is on the 23rd of September and UHS announced the official date in August. But it's held in the month of September each year so you should prepare according to that.

ØWhen should you start preparing for MCAT?
Right after Alevel exams. I would say go to Kips Johar town branch (I haven’t heard much good about other branches. The Johar town branch is the main branch).

KIPS academy started on 15th June, my last exam was of Physics on 14th June

You should register before it (a week earlier to save reserve your seat). The two month course will probably cost 16,000rs. Please register for the MCAT session not the NUMCAT. (NUMCAT is for UHS MCAT and NUST entry test. Both the NUST entry test and UHS entry test are from FSC, but the UHS has a significantly reduced syllabus. NUST entry test is whole of FSC, which NO A LEVEL student can do. By the way, NUMCAT also cost 20,000rs, that is 4000rs more). So be sensible and take only UHS MCAT session.)

Take the morning session 6am-11am (so you have time to get back home, take some rest and then study). Kips has its own daily tests which are hard BUT they are sort of like questions expected when you give the MCAT. The important thing is being able to have an idea of the sort of questions to expect. Sometimes you feel that a fact or figure is not important, but it is important and a question can be made from it.

They are 60 questions in each KIPS test. I would answer the ones I didn’t know and leave the ones i didn’t know. Next day, when the teacher came to tell the answers for discussion, I would write all the questions which I got wrong/left and their answers in my notebook (you should do this).

Alternatively 5-6 friends can divide these 60 questions amongst themselves and instead of doing the test in class you can copy these questions 10 each to cover all of these. Then you can get your respective questions photocopied and exchanged and solve them at home.

THIS IS SO BECAUSE KIPS DOES NOT ALLOW YOU TO TAKE THE QUESTION SHEET WITH YOUU TO YOUR HOME. SORRY!

ØHow should I prepare for the test? Any books that you can recommend.
FSC books. You need to learn them thoroughly. EACH AND EVERY FIGURE, FACT, EVERYTHING. And there are plenty of practice books available that you could buy to practice MCQs for MCAT. I didn’t use any of them. As far the KIPS Entry Test Series (also known as KETS) is concerned, I would say don’t’ buy it (just get the English word list at the end of English KETS book photocopied from someone who has bought the series or ask from a senior, alternatively ask a friend from star academy etc. Star academy gave a list of these 870 words and their meanings). KETS books are just FSC books rearranged (although the Doppler effect in physics must be prepared from kips physics entry test book, as formulas in this chapter aren’t present in the FSC book). Unless you are a student of KIPS, it's hard to get your hands on the KETS books

ØI think they have English in their entrance test...what is that about?
My time there was an 870 word meanings list that you’ll need you learn. There'll also be some grammar questions. The grammar questions are not that hard. (KIPS grammar questions are pretty hard, so just try to understand them, if you can’t understand then don’t bother. You can easily do almost all of them without much difficulty) KIPS takes these grammar questions from SAT/GMAT books, which are way way harder than your MCAT English).

MEDICINE IN FOREIGN COUNTIRES
(IF YOU ARE A PAKISTANI NATIONALY ONLY)

UK: 30-35 lakhs each year for 4 years
Australia: 40 lakhs for 7 years. Don’t know about financial aid/ scholarship. Sessions at Australian universities begin after 8 months of graduation (you graduate from Alevels in June, Australian admissions start in October after it. There is a pre-medical bachelors and then MBBS
Hong Kong: Impossible as you must know Cantonese language from year 1 for MBBS (the language requirement is for MBBS course only, not for BDS or engineering courses)
US: If you get financial aid then probably 10 lakh per year for 8-9 years. You must do a pre-med first, then pass the mcat of US and then get admission into medicine
Canada: Maths in Alevels is a must for every Canadian degree except history and literature I think. You cant apply there if you don’t have maths. If you get financial aid then probably 10 lakh per year for 8-9 years. You must do a pre-med first too
Middle East: (American campuses) They are expensive (40 lakh per year if you don’t get aid), they don’t give much aid and the same pre-med course (6-7 years)

WHAT IF YOU ARE A FOREIGN NATIONAL?
¨If you have a foreign passport, you can apply to the reserved seats for foreign candidates in the government medical universities. There are around 4 reserved seats in KEMU and AIMC each and 2 in SIMS. So, in Lahore there are 10 reserved seats.
¨The fees will be higher than those paid by local students, though (about $10,000 a year).
¨You must contact HEC or Pakistan Technical Assistance Project by July (after Alevel exams) to register
¨
Your aggregate score is calculated by
10% SSC
40% HSSC
50% SAT 2 (Physics, Chemistry and Biology)
The 3rd highest merit for foreign nationals this year was around 89%.
You MUST also get 60% in MCAT (this is a requirement even if you apply for foreign seat on basis of SAT2 score)

Your aggregate score can also be calculated by another procedure (if you don’t give SAT2)
10% SSC
40% HSSC
50% MCAT

Since scoring high scores is easier in SAT2 than the MCAT, foreign nationals should prefer giving SAT2. Remember, in any case you MUST score at least 60% in MCAT.

Reaction score
^ Thanx alot for this information. You wont believe but this has encouraged me to keep the MBBS from Pakistan option open! It would be great in you can add China in the above list and more info on private medical Unis. Again thanx for this!

Reaction score
I've already written about private medical colleges in the top most post

Private Medical Colleges in Lahore
This includes CMH, Fatima memorial, Lmdc and Sheikh Zayed
For CMH merit goes to about 76%. So to get admission, you must get 76% or above as your aggregate score. The aggregate score for CMH is calculated by

Olevel equivalence counts 10%
Alevel equivalence counts 40% (IM SURE YOU NOW KNOW OLEVEL GRADES COUNT A WAY LOT IN YOUR ALEVEL EQUIVALENCE)
UHS MCAT 37.5%
CMH Test 12.5%

I dont know about Fatima Memorial, Lmdc, but I am assuming similar procedure (but do ask)
So you still need to score at least 76%% in your UHS MCAT to have a chance. UHS MCAT is necessary for getting admission into any private medical college in Punjab

Whole 5 year MBBS in a government college will cost 1 lac (15,000 rs ANNUAL fee), while for private medical colleges you would need to pay around 30 lacs for 5 years (annual fee would be 6 lacs). So, the 29 lacs you save over 5 years can be used to go abroad for specialization after MBBS.

Reaction score
For Punjab govt medical colleges, if you are offered a job by the Punjab govt, then you must serve the government for 5 years (including 2 years in a rural area) or pay Rs.5 lakhs
So total cost for government medical colleges becomes 6 laks

Reaction score
For Punjab govt medical colleges, if you are offered a job by the Punjab govt, then you must serve the government for 5 years (including 2 years in a rural area) or pay Rs.5 lakhs
So total cost for government medical colleges becomes 6 laks
That is for reciprocal and reserved seats.......

Reaction score
One reality that no one generally points about public sector (government) medical colleges is that their low fees is not entirely a lucrative offer, it depends on your context. As a result of lower tuition fee public sector colleges have a lower budget and are therefore under-funded which results in a poor infrastructure. So, think about that as well before making your final decision after all you have to spend at least 5 years of your life there.

Reaction score
But what is at the end of five years is what really matters..........

And employers give preference to doctors who have studied from govt. institutions........

Reaction score
This is no united states or canada or england where employers recruit directly from school, lol. At the end of the day the reality is that your degree is a UHS certified one hence adding uniformity. Try making personal visit to the campuses to explore the inside reality of the schools rather than just being influenced by the rankings. Especially if you are targeting hostels you need to double think before making your final decision. The lower budget means poor infrastructure and lower quality services.

As far as the labour market for doctors is considered in Pakistan, you won't find differences in salaries which are significant just because of different school names (unless you are someone having North American or UK experience and qualifications). The market is saturated with mbbs degrees at least in all key cities. Those who do get slightly higher pay cheques get the jobs through links/sifarish. The sensible people start their own clinic and with time make it bigger.

Then at the end of the day did it matter much is how you see it, but the reality is obvious. (assuming it might seem different when viewing from a teenagers mind).

Reaction score
This is no united states or canada or england where employers recruit directly from school, lol. At the end of the day the reality is that your degree is a UHS certified one hence adding uniformity. Try making personal visit to the campuses to explore the inside reality of the schools rather than just being influenced by the rankings. Especially if you are targeting hostels you need to double think before making your final decision. The lower budget means poor infrastructure and lower quality services.

As far as the labour market for doctors is considered in Pakistan, you won't find differences in salaries which are significant just because of different school names (unless you are someone having North American or UK experience and qualifications). The market is saturated with mbbs degrees at least in all key cities. Those who do get slightly higher pay cheques get the jobs through links/sifarish. The sensible people start their own clinic and with time make it bigger.

Then at the end of the day did it matter much is how you see it, but the reality is obvious. (assuming it might seem different when viewing from a teenagers mind).
i'm talking of employers like FFC that pay doctors in lacs!

Reaction score
i'm talking of employers like FFC that pay doctors in lacs!

That is a product of years of experience, performance in annual exams(you must be aware of no where standing college students topping profs and links not significantly school). Tell me when someone is paid in lacs straight out of school. That used to happen when my dad was freshly graduated specialist, but that was 20 years ago.

Reaction score
Ive updated the first post, please read it again. Thankyou

It contains merit list of 2012 for government medical colleges (merit increased by an average of 2%) and it contains very important information for those people who give Olevels from countries OTHER THAN PAKISTAN, and give ALEVELS FROM PAKISTAN