• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mechanics 1 P42 2014; Discussion!

Reaction score
are you sure it was -6? i just asked the ques from my sir and he said that when B reaches the floor the o.25 kg mass travels up due opto the velocity gained by it hence the tensions in both the strings become slack.. therefore the deceleration of the 0.5 kg mass (p) would be equal to Reaction force into coefficient of friction i.e 5 x 0.4 = (0.5) a. which gives a to be 4 .. ps my answer was -6 too . and do you by any chance remember what the ques was worth becuase i dont think it was worth only two marks..
There were two separate strings. Both of them cannot become slack. Also the question was worth 2 marks. I have a good memory so yes it was worth 2 marks.

Reaction score
are you sure it was -6? i just asked the ques from my sir and he said that when B reaches the floor the o.25 kg mass travels up due opto the velocity gained by it hence the tensions in both the strings become slack.. therefore the deceleration of the 0.5 kg mass (p) would be equal to Reaction force into coefficient of friction i.e 5 x 0.4 = (0.5) a. which gives a to be 4 .. ps my answer was -6 too . and do you by any chance remember what the ques was worth becuase i dont think it was worth only two marks..
Plus if they were both slack, how the eff would they move again? Like P has enough strength to magically make the strings back to normal? o_O

Reaction score
There were two separate strings. Both of them cannot become slack. Also the question was worth 2 marks. I have a good memory so yes it was worth 2 marks.
thanks :) , do you temember how much the first and second parts were worth (same ques) i think i misread acceleration 2 for 2.5 and applied **** logic to prove that the acc was 2.5 which means that my velocity is probably going to be wrong aswell i dont remember for sure but still :( also do you think i can get an A if i get 55 in p1 and 40 in m1 ?

Reaction score
thanks :) , do you temember how much the first and second parts were worth (same ques) i think i misread acceleration 2 for 2.5 and applied **** logic to prove that the acc was 2.5 which means that my velocity is probably going to be wrong aswell i dont remember for sure but still :( also do you think i can get an A if i get 55 in p1 and 40 in m1 ?
Both the first and second parts were worth 3 marks each.
well if you get a 40 in m1 and 55 in p1 your total score will be 95, so yes you may score an AS Level A(a). However it will probably be a low A(a)

Reaction score
can someone post the marks on all the questions plz? and if i got the distance with limits 0-25 how many marks
i will lose? and if i didnt notice the weight in the tension question and used lami's method i will lose the whole question? :(
please someone reply

Reaction score
Both the first and second parts were worth 3 marks each.
well if you get a 40 in m1 and 55 in p1 your total score will be 95, so yes you may score an AS Level A(a). However it will probably be a low A(a)
nope second part was like 2 marks and first part 3 maks i remeber cause i spent the last minute how many marks would i loose in this question :p

Reaction score
nope second part was like 2 marks and first part 3 maks i remeber cause i spent the last minute how many marks would i loose in this question :p
the whole question was worth 10 marks in total. The last two parts were 2 marks each. The first two parts were 6 marks each.
Does it matter? lol