• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mechanics 1 P42 2014; Discussion!

Reaction score
it was 71.3 confirmed
the first distance was 8 the rest was found by integrating from 27 to 8 it came as 63.3 , cheers !
You got 8m for the first 8 seconds. but when applying limits for the second half you were supposed to take (27-8) = 19 seconds and 0 as the limits because the object travelled in that motion for only 19 sec not 27 seconds completely.
This part was for how many marks?

Reaction score
You got 8m for the first 8 seconds. but when applying limits for the second half you were supposed to take (27-8) = 19 seconds and 0 as the limits because the object travelled in that motion for only 19 sec not 27 seconds completely.
Okay dude, that is literally the most retarded thing I have heard. You cant just subtract time and then make it into limits. Haven't you solved past papers or anything? It was 71.3

Reaction score
Mr.Genius you CAN'T use the limits 0 and 19. ahahahahahahah!

Reaction score
Okay dude, that is literally the most retarded thing I have heard. You cant just subtract time and then make it into limits. Haven't you solved past papers or anything? It was 71.3

basically he is right the equation given was for the time after 8 seconds
so why are we putting limits 27 and 8 it will find the distance moved till 27s - it moved in first 8 second (WHICH IS DIFFERENT FROM 8 )
so basically he is right !

Reaction score
YES EXACTLY! Whew, glad I'm not the only one who did that. As I thought the equation was applicable from t=8 and onwards, so till t=27, the time is 19s. I integrated and put in values for t=19s, which is 40. something, and added 8 to it. I think I ended up with 48.9 or something.
Are you sure about this? because i did the same, nd now i dont know if i was right :/
It was not 71.3, the answer was around 40.9 if I recall correctly. First you had to calculate the distance covered during the motion with linear acceleration (from t=0 to t=8). Then you had to integrate the expression for velocity and apply the limits 19 and 0 (27-8 = 19). Add the two distances which were 8m and 40.something for the final answer.
I am gonna pretend that you people never attempted past papers -_-. Who the hell ever heard of subtracting time like that and then substituting it into limits -_-

Reaction score
so why are we putting limits 27 and 8 it will find the distance moved till 27s - it moved in first 8 second (WHICH IS DIFFERENT FROM 8 )
Yeah okay but the answer was still 71.3. They are two ways of doing hte question. You could integrate the expression to get an equation for distance and find the value of the constant and use that to find the distance travelled. STIL YOU GET 71.3

Reaction score
Well i probably solved papers right from the year you were born all the way to Nov 13. Even I got 71.3 but I realize that its wrong because on the same thread a few pages before this one there is a legit explanation to that. But if 71.3 is right I'll be happier. :)

Reaction score
Well i probably solved papers right from the year you were born all the way to Nov 13. Even I got 71.3 but I realize that its wrong because on the same thread a few pages before this one there is a legit explanation to that. But if 71.3 is right I'll be happier. :)
Firstly I was born in 1996. Secondly, the answer was 71.3

Reaction score

That explanation doesn't seem to apply in this case. I honestly think the answer is 71.3. That's what most students in my centre got.

Reaction score
Have you never come across a quesiton like this in past papers? There are more than 11 questions like this. All of them, I have checked. The answer is 71.3. END OF STORY.

Reaction score
So I solved a year before you were born to be precise. And the answer is 40. something. Its a simple concept. I still don't understand how are you not able grasp it?
Okay first of all. I have a pretty good memory. This means that I can remember numbers very easily and the answer was 71.3. if you want I'll upload a solution

Reaction score
Have you never come across a quesiton like this in past papers? There are more than 11 questions like this. All of them, I have checked. The answer is 71.3. END OF STORY.
Well did you ever come across any question like Q7 from our paper. We've never had 3 particles as far as I remember. if the answer is 71.3 i'll be getting a few marks more. And I'm not trying to fight here sorry If I sounded rude tho.
But their logic kinda makes sense.