• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mechanics 1 P42 2014; Discussion!

Reaction score
Is there ECF in m1?
Quoting from the mark scheme:

Marks are of the following three types:

"M Method mark, awarded for a valid method applied to the problem. Method marks are
not lost for numerical errors, algebraic slips or errors in units. However, it is not
usually sufficient for a candidate just to indicate an intention of using some method or
just to quote a formula; the formula or idea must be applied to the specific problem in
hand, e.g. by substituting the relevant quantities into the formula. Correct application
of a formula without the formula being quoted obviously earns the M mark
and in some
cases an M mark can be implied from a correct answer.

"A Accuracy mark, awarded for a correct answer or intermediate step correctly obtained.
Accuracy marks cannot be given unless the associated method mark is earned (or
implied).

"
B Mark for a correct result or statement independent of method marks."

In other words, there's no ECF, so to speak. But you do get the marks for your process, so it's a... partial ECF, I suppose.
Understand?

Last edited:
Reaction score
So I have a question. For #6, I got the correct deceleration, however is stupidly forgot to take the weight of the particle into account when finding R. So I got R=13.5 instead of 15.5N. Consequently I used this for my resolving of the Tension, which I got as 15.59N instead of 17.59N. How many marks should I expect to lose?

Reaction score
So I have a question. For #6, I got the correct deceleration, however is stupidly forgot to take the weight of the particle into account when finding R. So I got R=13.5 instead of 15.5N. Consequently I used this for my resolving of the Tension, which I got as 15.59N instead of 17.59N. How many marks should I expect to lose?
You'll lose 2. You'll lose two of the B marks. Get it?

Reaction score
han na after finding s(27)-s(8) or integrate it with limits 8 and 7 :p

Yeah, I understand. BUT, if we use s(27), then we are finding the s covered 27 seconds AFTER the particle reached A. If we do that, aren't we overshooting the initial time frame of 0-27s? Plus, u said to subtract s(8), but those 8 seconds are BEFORE that equation for v (and hence the s equation) became viable.