• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mechanics 1 P42 2014; Discussion!

Reaction score
It was not 71.3, the answer was around 40.9 if I recall correctly. First you had to calculate the distance covered during the motion with linear acceleration (from t=0 to t=8). Then you had to integrate the expression for velocity and apply the limits 19 and 0 (27-8 = 19). Add the two distances which were 8m and 40.something for the final answer.

Reaction score
It was not 71.3, the answer was around 40.9 if I recall correctly. First you had to calculate the distance covered during the motion with linear acceleration (from t=0 to t=8). Then you had to integrate the expression for velocity and apply the limits 19 and 0 (27-8 = 19). Add the two distances which were 8m and 40.something for the final answer.
Are you sure about this? because i did the same, nd now i dont know if i was right :/

Reaction score

YES EXACTLY! Whew, glad I'm not the only one who did that. As I thought the equation was applicable from t=8 and onwards, so till t=27, the time is 19s. I integrated and put in values for t=19s, which is 40. something, and added 8 to it. I think I ended up with 48.9 or something.

Reaction score
YES EXACTLY! Whew, glad I'm not the only one who did that. As I thought the equation was applicable from t=8 and onwards, so till t=27, the time is 19s. I integrated and put in values for t=19s, which is 40. something, and added 8 to it. I think I ended up with 48.9 or something.
Sorry, 48.9 not 40.9. Yes the distance for linear acceleration was 8 and for variable acceleration it was 40.9.

Reaction score
Salam
did any one solved the question about a stone is dropped and i think find resistance and also the second part about the tension if so please reply and also Q2 Thank You

Reaction score
Quoting from the mark scheme:

Marks are of the following three types:

"M Method mark, awarded for a valid method applied to the problem. Method marks are
not lost for numerical errors, algebraic slips or errors in units. However, it is not
usually sufficient for a candidate just to indicate an intention of using some method or
just to quote a formula; the formula or idea must be applied to the specific problem in
hand, e.g. by substituting the relevant quantities into the formula. Correct application
of a formula without the formula being quoted obviously earns the M mark
and in some
cases an M mark can be implied from a correct answer.

"A Accuracy mark, awarded for a correct answer or intermediate step correctly obtained.
Accuracy marks cannot be given unless the associated method mark is earned (or
implied).

"
B Mark for a correct result or statement independent of method marks."

In other words, there's no ECF, so to speak. But you do get the marks for your process, so it's a... partial ECF, I suppose.
Understand?
What if its a one mark question? And what of its a 2 mark one?

Reaction score
Salam
did any one solved the question about a stone is dropped and i think find resistance and also the second part about the tension if so please reply and also Q2 Thank You

Question about stone was discussed someplace in pages 5 or 6 I believe. R was 15.5 (I think, forgot exact), and T was 17.59 (maybe, again, forgot exact). If question 2 is the collision question, I think the T is 5s.

Reaction score
Salam

For question two you had to form two equations of motions for both particles P and Q in displacement 's'. Then you had to equate s1 = 10-s2. This would give you a quadratic equation in t, and the answer was t=5s.

Reaction score
it was 71.3 confirmed
the first distance was 8 the rest was found by integrating from 27 to 8 it came as 63.3 , cheers !