• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Pakistan Studies, Islamiyat and Urdu: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
and someone re-confirm this - i only have to take soe and smart card to exam centre tomorrow right? no other documentation? taking my first o level exam tomorrow so double checking with everyone

Reaction score
no no, subsidary wont come in reforms, that will come in expansion, though you can mention it. Here is the question asked
Did educational reforms have a more important effect on the
Indians than the social, religious and economic ones introduced by
the British during the years 1773 to 1856? Explain your
answer.

Ans:
British established themselves in India through their educational reforms. British
had carried a firm belief in the superiority of their culture, especially their educational
system. According to a British official in 1835, "a single shelf of a good European library
was worth the whole native literature of India and Arabia". British felt justified in holding
such views as they had emerged a military giant and scientifically advanced due to their
success in science and technology. They considered it their duty to spread their superior
culture.

They introduced English as the official language in 1834 and gradually popularised
their own education system. This scheme was master-minded by Thomas Babington
Macaulay. Several schools, many run by .Christian missionaries, were set up throughout
India, 1830 onwards. These steps had a westernising effect on India but Indians resisted
it inwardly as they thought the British were trying to impose their culture on India.
British also took steps to introduce other social reforms. They abolished Sattee, a
Hindu custom of burning widow alive on the cremation of her husband. They eradicated
Thuggee, another Hindu ritual of killing their victims in the name of a goddess. In 1830,
Colonel Sleeman's army arrested 2000 thugs. This step was welcomed by Indians as the
custom had terrified Hindus and Muslims alike. In 1795, female infanticide (killing baby
daughters) was abolished by the EIC and it was declared as an act of murder. Most Hindus
resisted this and the ban on Sattee because they considered these British acts as direct
interference with the local religious and cultural traditions. Eventually, however, these
British attempts had a good effect on Indian life.
In 1833, the EIC allowed Christian missionaries to preach in India. Accordingly,
several missionaries began their mission of spreading Christianity in India. They also
spread Western knowledge and way of life, thinking themselves superior to the local
people. As a result, the missionaries got intolerant towards Indians, and this caused
resentment among Indians. Gradually, there were conversions among locals, especially
among the Sudras. Christianity slowly emerged as a major religion in India. Also, a new
community, Anglo-Indians emerged in India.
British EIC made it compulsory for Indian sepoys to serve the EIC army wherever
needed. According to Hindu belief, a caste Hindu would lose caste by traveling overseas
and so, this step of EIC was condemned by Hindu community.
British also affected the economy of India by their involvement with the local
economic matters. They imposed heavy taxes on Indians to fully exploit local resources.
Some of the tax collectors became corrupt and kept the money with themselves. Peasants
and small land owners were worst affected by heavy taxes. Salaries of Indian sepoys were
kept lower than British soldiers. Indian wealth and raw materials were used to feed British
factories in England, while Indian markets were flooded with British manufactured goods.
Local products could not match these goods in quality and price. Consequently, many rich
Indians became poor. A British official remarked on this by equating the phenomenon with
"a sponge, drawing up all the good things from the banks of the Ganges, and squeezing
them down on the banks of the Thames". Indians felt exploited and economically ruined
and gradually hatred grew against the British leading to the 1857 uprising.
To conclude, it seems that educational reforms affected Indians more than other
reforms because, with a new education system, British were able to raise a team of Indians
fully loyal to the British. These Indians opposed any uprising against their new rulers.

Reaction score
If you are talkingking abour expansion then:
The British government took many steps to restructure the EIC.In 1784, the India Act,
also known as the Pitt’s India Act, was passed by the Prime Minister William Pitt. The Act
empowered the British government to take direct control of Indian possessions. Under this
the Governor General was made a royal appointment, and the Company’s Board of Directors
was replaced by a Board of Control comprising six members including the Secretary of State
and the Chancellor of Exchequer. Lord Cornwallis was thus appointed as the Governor
General in 1786 to rule the three presidencies of Calcutta/Kolkatta, Bombay/Mumbai and
Madras/Chennai. He was assisted by three governors, and a Commander-in-Chief of the
armed forces. The status of the EIC thus changed from a trading concern to a sovereign body
in which the Crown (British government) directly controlled Bengal. Moreover, a police system
was introduced that would help in the administration of justice and maintaining law and order
in India.This way the powers of the EIC were cleverly restricted while preparing the ground
for the British government ruling India directly. The British took many other measures to
strengthen its grip on India in later years. Lord Cornwallis enforced the Permanent Settlement
Act in 1793. The Act made the Zamindars of Bengal landowners on the condition of paying a
fixed amount of tax to the British. In 1793 the amount of this tax was 10% of the amount
collected from the Zamindars. Hence, the Permanent Settlement secured the financial
interests of the East India Company and helped Bengal to become the richest province of
India enabling the British to expand their influence beyond Bengal.
Lord Wellesley became Governor General in 1798 and he introduced the system of subsidiary
alliances. Under this the local rulers were persuaded to accept the British defence and pay
its costs in the form of salaries for the British soldiers. In return, they were allowed to retain
their rulership while enhancing the British rule surreptitiously as they had to accept a British
resident advisor. They could not employ any European in their service without approval of
the British, nor could they negotiate with any other Indian rulers without consulting the
Governor General. The Nizam of Hyderabad became the first victim of this policy. In 1798,
the Nizam was detached from the French and was also barred from making any alliance with
the Marathas. In 1799, Tipu Sultan was defeated and killed, and the state of Mysore was
annexed by Lord Wellesley.
The Nawab of Oudh was forced to accept this policy in 1801, and the Maratha Peshwa
Baji Rao-II also subjugated his stats in 1802. Other Maratha states like Bhosle, Sindia and
finally, the Maratha Confederation, Holkars also surrendered in 1803. The Marathas were
decisively defeated in the third Anglo-Maratha War, 1817-1818. The British army occupied
Delhi in 1803, and shifted the Royal Mughal Family from Red Fort to Qutub Saheb. This way,
several states came under the British rule in a slow and clever way.
The British finally turned towards north-western India. In order to undo the damage to their
prestige by their defeat in Afghanistan in 1841, the British provoked the Amirs of Sindh who
attacked the British resident Charles Napier. The British retaliated with full force and annexed
Sindh in 1843. The Punjab was annexed by exploiting the chaos in the Sikh Darbar/Court
following the death of its strong ruler, Maharaja Ranjeet Singh. The ambitious rival chiefs
attacked the British possessions south of the River Sutlej, giving British an excuse to invade
the Punjab. After the Treaty of Lahore of 1846, the British, helped by a Hindu chief Gulab
Singh Dogra, annexed Kashmir that was given to Gulab Singh as a reward. Finally, the
Punjab and the NWF were annexed fully on 30th March 1849.
The Pitt’s India Act seems to be the decisive factor in the British expansion in India
because it laid down a strong foundation on which was erected the building of all future
victories of the British. The Act gave the British a sense of success as they began to exploit
the Indian weaknesses including their inherent disunity.

Reaction score
Other wise if the questions vaguely asked about reforms and asks it was the most imp without stating others, that wont be possible cuz tooooooo much to write. So the q will specify does it want local reforms or expansion reforms thank you

Reaction score
Other wise if the questions vaguely asked about reforms and asks it was the most imp without stating others, that wont be possible cuz tooooooo much to write. So the q will specify does it want local reforms or expansion reforms thank you
Should I attempt Section A or Section B first in the history paper?, cause I got slow writing speed.....

Reaction score
brother, tell me this. q 1 part a, b (source related). what should i write for full marks in these questions. they are so simple but how to ensure full marks in both parts?

Reaction score
brother, tell me this. q 1 part a, b (source related). what should i write for full marks in these questions. they are so simple but how to ensure full marks in both parts?
In Source A if you just copy the useful statements and paste them in your answer that shall be enough. Moreover try to cover as many points as possible in source A.

In source B if you have some background knowledge than that shall be enough otherwise just try to link every small detail with each other.

Reaction score
Should I attempt Section A or Section B first in the history paper?, cause I got slow writing speed.....
Lol doesnt matter, but cuz sec A is compulsary you should do that first cuz there is no way to skip it. Moreover, I would suggest to solve the questions in their original order and not Q 5 first and then Q4 or u doing part b of Q3 first and a last.
i am telling you. a and b parts of Sec A are free marks. In a part. just write what the q has asked in a paraphrased form from the source. For part B, I would want to first just write what you see. And I man WRITE EVERYTHING THAT YOU CAN MAKE INFERENCE ON. Go to the extent for example, say a britisher is standing upright, is wearing formal clothes in front of mughal.... that shows his confidence. Take everything and make inference. And later, if you have contextual information write that sooo Basically

Write Every Surface feature, make heavy inference on that and then write contextual info if any

Reaction score
Lol doesnt matter, but cuz sec A is compulsary you should do that first cuz there is no way to skip it. Moreover, I would suggest to solve the questions in their original order and not Q 5 first and then Q4 or u doing part b of Q3 first and a last.

i am telling you. a and b parts of Sec A are free marks. In a part. just write what the q has asked in a paraphrased form from the source. For part B, I would want to first just write what you see. And I man WRITE EVERYTHING THAT YOU CAN MAKE INFERENCE ON. Go to the extent for example, say a britisher is standing upright, is wearing formal clothes in front of mughal.... that shows his confidence. Take everything and make inference. And later, if you have contextual information write that sooo Basically

Write Every Surface feature, make heavy inference on that and then write contextual info if any
I got some trouble in time management so How should I assign time to specific Questions, and how much should I write, I have the problem of making the answer go crazy lengthy.

Reaction score
Addie Zak what the hell am i suppose to understand from this pic

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-04-24 11-50-14.png
    Screenshot from 2023-04-24 11-50-14.png
    384.2 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
The source shows the actor playing the role of Haji Shariat Ullah. The red turban on
the head of Haji Shariat Ullah conveys a meaningful message. It represents his aim of
bringing about a revolutionary change in the lives of Bengali Muslims. The firm determination
on his face reflects his resolve to resist any oppressors exploiting the poor Bengali Muslims
peasants. He is being warned perhaps by a soldier of the British standing behind him. This
means the local authorities have taken notice of Haji Shariat Ullah’s efforts of creating
awareness among Bengali Muslims. In the backdrop another British official is riding a horse,
while next to him a Hindu, probably a Zamindar, is standing with a worried look. Haji Shariat
Ullah’s mission laid the foundation of political awareness among Bengali Muslims.
reallly?

Reaction score
The source shows the actor playing the role of Haji Shariat Ullah. The red turban on
the head of Haji Shariat Ullah conveys a meaningful message. It represents his aim of
bringing about a revolutionary change in the lives of Bengali Muslims. The firm determination
on his face reflects his resolve to resist any oppressors exploiting the poor Bengali Muslims
peasants. He is being warned perhaps by a soldier of the British standing behind him. This
means the local authorities have taken notice of Haji Shariat Ullah’s efforts of creating
awareness among Bengali Muslims. In the backdrop another British official is riding a horse,
while next to him a Hindu, probably a Zamindar, is standing with a worried look. Haji Shariat
Ullah’s mission laid the foundation of political awareness among Bengali Muslims.

I cant do what you just did.

I think so that you shall aim for Distinction, because it was marvelous.