• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Paper Discusion: Bio/52 & /51

Reaction score
Q1: a) i) What's the use of detergents? [1]

ii) Why the temperature was set at 60^C ? [1]

iii) Why filtration was done?[1]

iv) Why he used protease? [1]

b) outline the procedure of electrolysis and how the student detects the DNA fragments? [5]

c)i) what was the dependent variable? [1]

ii) which two variables the student should control? [2]

d)i) state the evidence from fig 1.3 that supports the conclusion that DNA has more receptors for "ResEnzi" ? [1]

ii) state the evidence from fig 1.3 that support the conclusion that the fragments from "RsEnz22" still have receptor sites for "REsEnzi" ?[1]

iii) Suggest a reason why students conclusions could be wrong? [1]

e) i) Looking at fig 1.4 and fig 1.5, Write the sequence of the TEMPLATE starting from p'3 [1]

ii) How yoou arrived at the sequence? [3]

(first discuss this question then we will move on to the next :'D)

Reaction score
Answers: (I can be wrong)

a)i) To hydrolyse lipids as detergents contain Enzymes Lipase.

ii) To Denature the enzymes

iii) To seperate the Debris of peas from the DNA mixture.

iv) To hydrolyse proteins associated with DNA like histone.

b) After treating with Restriction enzymes, place the 3 samples on three different agrose Gel. place it at Cathode(-ve) and apply the potential difference. The fragments will move to the anode, depending on their size/mass. smaller mass fragment will move the farther and larger will move the smallest distance. Use the DNA probes to identify the Fragments./markers. You can use neuliotide containing Radioactive phosphate. The complimentary neucliotides would combine with each other. and DNA bands are visible on the photographic film. Repeat this at least thrice. This experiment is a low risk/ electric shock and its precaution.

c)i) Numbers of different size of DNA fragments

ii) Temperature and concentration/volume of restriction enzyme.

d)i) Number of Bands for REsEnzi are greater than the bands from ResEnz22.

ii) DNA treated with both of the restriction enzymes is having more number of bands than the respective samples treated with only one restriction enzyme.

iii)Insufficient samples there should be one sample which is first treated with REsEnzi and then with Res Enz 2.

d)i) I started from the right end of the electrogram and used the complimentary bases.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey, can ypu please tell me if in the variables to control part they were asking us to refer to the table and then write the answer.

Reaction score
Did we have to refer the the table or not? Cause my friend has me freaking out. Plus, for the dependant varibale i wrote the number of bands, will that be right?

Reaction score
Did we have to refer the the table or not? Cause my friend has me freaking out. Plus, for the dependant varibale i wrote the number of bands, will that be right?
Yeah probably :)
I also wrote number of fragments but in the last moment I edited number of different size of fragments :p
but i think both have the same meaning? :/ Isn't it :/ But number of bands makes more sense :/

Reaction score
We had to refer to the table????? :0 i dont remember reading that part and neither do my friends except for one. But shes so confused and shes making me confused. I wrote about gel electrophoresis, the time for electrophoresis and something else i dont remember.

Reaction score
And for the detergants part i wrote to make the cell membrane more permeable. I think its right, isnt it?
i asked my teacher and also googled it :p What I found was Detergent contains enzyme lipase and it is to dissolve the lipid bilayer membrane and to extract the DNA out :/

Reaction score
We had to refer to the table????? :0 i dont remember reading that part and neither do my friends except for one. But shes so confused and shes making me confused. I wrote about gel electrophoresis, the time for electrophoresis and something else i dont remember.
Dont panic hope the best :D
I found P5 more difficult than p4 :/
I didn't refer from any table :O

Reaction score
See? No one referred to the table. I hardly doubt that they asked us to refer tot he table.

Hows your prep for bio p4? (Or chem p4 if youre appearing for it?)

Reaction score
See? No one referred to the table. I hardly doubt that they asked us to refer tot he table.

Hows your prep for bio p4? (Or chem p4 if youre appearing for it?)
Right now I'm bit confused what to do :S
Preperation is good Alhumd'ulil'Allah :/

Reaction score
hey… got super confused about question e)….. why'd u start off from that end? plzzzz help

Answers: (I can be wrong)

a)i) To hydrolyse lipids as detergents contain Enzymes Lipase.

ii) To Denature the enzymes

iii) To seperate the Debris of peas from the DNA mixture.

iv) To hydrolyse proteins associated with DNA like histone.

b) After treating with Restriction enzymes, place the 3 samples on three different agrose Gel. place it at Cathode(-ve) and apply the potential difference. The fragments will move to the anode, depending on their size/mass. smaller mass fragment will move the farther and larger will move the smallest distance. Use the DNA probes to identify the Fragments./markers. You can use neuliotide containing Radioactive phosphate. The complimentary neucliotides would combine with each other. and DNA bands are visible on the photographic film. Repeat this at least thrice. This experiment is a low risk/ electric shock and its precaution.

c)i) Numbers of different size of DNA fragments

ii) Temperature and concentration/volume of restriction enzyme.

d)i) Number of Bands for REsEnzi are greater than the bands from ResEnz22.

ii) DNA treated with both of the restriction enzymes is having more number of bands than the respective samples treated with only one restriction enzyme.

iii)Insufficient samples there should be one sample which is first treated with REsEnzi and then with Res Enz 2.

d)i) Dont remember :'D but I started from the end of the electrogram and used the complimentary bases.

Reaction score
hey… got super confused about question e)….. why'd u start off from that end? plzzzz help
As we had to sequence the template. starting from the p'3. which is the end from where the transcription of Modified neucliotides started hence , the first fragment would be the samllest one? so it must travel the farthest distance ?
okay? :S