• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Phy paper 4

Reaction score
any one can plz explain what shape of graph will be obtained in j2002 p4 q6 a)..............
plzz hlp me asap........

Reaction score
All you need to keep in mind for this question is that emf induced is the gradient of the curve of It (the upper curve)
Suppose the four vertical lines after t=0 are : t=t1, t=t2, t=t3, t=t4

For t=0 to t=1, the emf is 0. So, a line than is on the X axis needs to be drawn
At t=t1, current starts increasing with the gradient being the maximum at t=t1. Suppose I take this emf to be in the positive direction. So, draw a vertical line on t=t1 to a certain maximum value. After t1, the current is still increasing but at a decreasing rate, i.e. the gradient is decreasing. So, draw a straight/curved(which one I am not sure) in downward direction upto t=t2. From t2 to t3, the current is constant i.e. the gradient is 0. So, draw another line
on the X axis from t2 to t3. After t3, the current starts decreasing at a constant rate. That is the gradient is constant and negative. So, draw a straight line along the vertical line to a negative value (i don't think we need to compare the magnitude of max emf in the positive and max emf in the negative direction, so the length of the line at t3 compared to t1 should not matter). As the gradient is constant for this part, emf will be constant. So, draw a horizontal line to connect the last two vertical lines.
Hopefully what I said was clear and made sense.
Again, I would like someone to address if the betwee t1 and t2 should be straight or a curve!