• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics, Chemistry and Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
guys plllz i have a question
explain why and outline how human insulin genes were put into bacteria using genetic engineering ??
can anybody help :cry:

Reaction score
guys plllz i have a question
explain why and outline how human insulin genes were put into bacteria using genetic engineering ??
can anybody help :cry:

First the gene for human insulin is isolated using a restriction-endonuculease enzyme (A enzyme which basically cuts genes) . Then a bacterial plasmid from a bacterial cell is also cut using the SAME restriction-endonuclease enzyme. This produces sticky ends (Meaning that they are now complimentary and will join) . Lignin (A polysaccharide) acts as glue and joins the sticky ends to each other. The bacterial plasmid is then returned to the bacterial cell which is then placed in a fermenter for mass production.

Reaction score
First the gene for human insulin is isolated using a restriction-endonuculease enzyme (A enzyme which basically cuts genes) . Then a bacterial plasmid from a bacterial cell is also cut using the SAME restriction-endonuclease enzyme. This produces sticky ends (Meaning that they are now complimentary and will join) . Lignin (A polysaccharide) acts as glue and joins the sticky ends to each other. The bacterial plasmid is then returned to the bacterial cell which is then placed in a fermenter for mass production.
lignin ? isnt it the enzyme ligase?

Reaction score
thnx alot :)

Reaction score
hey guys can i ask you something....when dealing with graphs and they ak to drawa best fit line....HOw do u do it?

Reaction score
hey guys can i ask you something....when dealing with graphs and they ak to drawa best fit line....HOw do u do it?

Just join the first point the the last point. Or just make a line in the middle of all your points plotted.

Outline how enzymes can be manufactured for use in biological washing powders?

Basically you place a bacteria or a fungus in a fermenter and provide it with a food source such as glucose. Since fungus make extracellular digestion , they will secreate their digestive enzymes (Protease, lipase, carbohydrase) onto the food source. These enzymes can later be collected from the fermenter. This was a brief answer, just try to explain fermentation while answering such a question.

Reaction score
Outline how enzymes can be manufactured for use in biological washing powders?
we put food stock ( sugar + ammonia + fungi + bacteria ) with pumping air inside the ferminter for aerobic respiration of the micro organismms and pass water current around the fermenter to keep temp. constant inside. Micro organisms will produce their enzymes then suck the solution and pass it on filter. Yhe filtrate contains lipase and protease enzymes which can be extracted

Reaction score
Guys, can someone explain to me HIV and how it effects the immune system (extended) [please?

Reaction score
Guys, can someone explain to me HIV and how it effects the immune system (extended) [please?

HIV targets lymphocytes , specially T lymphocytes. These lymphocytes stimulate B cells to produce antibodies, as well as destroy pathogens them selves. HIV destroys these lymphocytes , meaning B cells will not be able to produce anti bodies to fight pathogens. This WEAKENS our immune system causing us to be more prone to diseases and infections.