• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics, Chemistry and Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Could someone plz explain what and how the ropes/springs and strain and tension work?
Thx....

Reaction score

Because the particles, most of them go though, some get deflected a little and some get completely reversed, this tells us that there is something bigger than the particles inside the foil which is causing them to be reversed and this could not be the electrons most of them pass through as an atom is mostly empty space, the ones that collide with the nucleus are the ones that get deflected backwards and in random directions......you will need to shorten this for the exam.... :)
Its Rutherford's gold foil experiment

Reaction score
v=u+at?
u= initial speed, acceleration = a=0.5 t=1.2
v=0 + 0.5(1.2) =0.6m/s
ii) Distance
can use average speed (s= [v+u]/2 * t]
which gives distance = 0.3*1.2=0.36
or s=ut+1/2at^2
=0+(0.5)(0.5)(1.2)^2=0.25*1.44=0.36

Reaction score

You seem to be really good in Physics!

Mashallah!
Thank you! :) Inshallah we'll both get A*
Molecules which have higher kinetic energy have a higher chance to break their bonds and escape (evaporation). At 85*C more energetic molecules exist and thus more water has evaporated/more molecules have broken their bonds which is why the level is lower.
b)Okay it said that 600j was lost to atmosphere so only 34500-600=33900J was used to melt 15g of water
Energy = Mass * latent Heat of Fusion
Latent Heat of Fusion = Energy/Mass = 33900/15=2260J/g

Reaction score
Zain beat me! :p
So anyone know how to calibrate a C.R.O?
When they ask to calibrate a C.R.O. i assume it means find the Y-Gain/Time Base?
So that would mean you'd put in a source of known voltage on the Y-inputs (with X-Inputs being an A.C. source)
Measure the amplitude of resultant wave
and Y-Gain would be input voltage/amplitude (since we know the voltage input)
And then if we know the frequency of the input we can use that to find the time base
THAT'S assuming that that's what the question wants from us.

Reaction score
Zain beat me! :p
So anyone know how to calibrate a C.R.O?
When they ask to calibrate a C.R.O. i assume it means find the Y-Gain/Time Base?
So that would mean you'd put in a source of known voltage on the Y-inputs (with X-Inputs being an A.C. source)
Measure the amplitude of resultant wave
and Y-Gain would be input voltage/amplitude (since we know the voltage input)
And then if we know the frequency of the input we can use that to find the time base
THAT'S assuming that that's what the question wants from us.

Never learned how to calibrate a C.R.O , only thermometers .
If thats a question from a past paper in around 2000-2005, the syllabus was a little different back then.