• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

physics paper 1,2 ........can we discuus da papper nw?

Reaction score
no dude! i'm afraid i have to tell u that u got it wrong on both accounts! the arrow was supposed to be pointing down. oops sorry u r ryt on the wavelength thingy bcuz one crest was X and 2 others... but the arrw was supposed to point downwards bcuz they gave the position at a specific time. if they had asked generally about the movement of the medium when there is such a wave we would have made a double headed arrow.
FYI, the particle at the crest or trough is at rest, there is no upward or downward movement!
dipping it in water????!!! are u sure u want to dip a CURRENT CARRYING WIRE in water??? o_O i don't think so!!
what he means, i think is using a water bath, which had been allowed in the marking scheme for the same purpose!

Reaction score
U had to keep it at room temp and insulate it with rubber coating so heat exchange to surrounding is minimised
I don't think so. We had to encourage heat transfer between the wire and the room not the opposite. Insulating the wire would not allow heat transfer and would result in excessive heating of the wire.

Reaction score
I don't think so. We had to encourage heat transfer between the wire and the room not the opposite. Insulating the wire would not allow heat transfer and would result in excessive heating of the wire.
temp was suppose to be kept constant

Reaction score
temp was suppose to be kept constant
Yeah but keeping the wire insulated would not keep the temperature constant. It would not allow for the heat produced by the wire to escape. All the heat would form a layer between the wire and insulation and the wires temperature would rise.

@biker yes it was necessary for the temperature to be kept constant since resistance increases with temperature. Varying temperatures would result in inconsistent results.

asd

Reaction score
W
FYI, the particle at the crest or trough is at rest, there is no upward or downward movement!

what he means, i think is using a water bath, which had been allowed in the marking scheme for the same purpose!
where did you draw the arrow head?

Reaction score
Yeah but keeping the wire insulated would not keep the temperature constant. It would not allow for the heat produced by the wire to escape. All the heat would form a layer between the wire and insulation and the wires temperature would rise.

@biker yes it was necessary for the temperature to be kept constant since resistance increases with temperature. Varying temperatures would result in inconsistent results.
just let it go chem ka socho(y)

Reaction score

o_O how can a particle in a WAVE be at rest?? that doesn't make any sense. so is the question wrongg??? :D :D:D for first time in histry i wanna hav a luk at the cambridge guys wen we tell em the question they set was wrong OOO YEAH!! :p i am starting to hope it was wrong after all.....
anyways the question was where will the particle move and as it was already at top of crest (highest amplitude or peak) so it is only logical that it moves downwards next. this is a really confusing question.

really for cooling down a WIRE trough which an ELECTRIC current is passing u can put it in water?? how are we supposed to do that?? i mean if u do that then we are talking major electric shock here aren't we. just think about it : we are testing the resistance of a wire by passing current through it and DURING THE PROCESS OF PASSSING cuurrent we dip it in water the water will conduct electricity and BANG you will be electrocuted. besides that if u are using that method then it extends ur answer further becuase then u have to mention wither using an insulation on the wire to prevent electric shock or to use gloves wen doingthat although i don't think its logical. but then again we all have our opinions ... its perfectly possible that all my blabbing was for nothing and in the end my own answe is wrong who knows (o i hope that doesn't happen :p ) so best of luk :) (y) and chill out .... prepare for the atp with a cool head and u'll ace it IA! :)

Reaction score
o_O how can a particle in a WAVE be at rest?? that doesn't make any sense. so is the question wrongg??? :D :D:D for first time in histry i wanna hav a luk at the cambridge guys wen we tell em the question they set was wrong OOO YEAH!! :p i am starting to hope it was wrong after all.....
anyways the question was where will the particle move and as it was already at top of crest (highest amplitude or peak) so it is only logical that it moves downwards next. this is a really confusing question.

really for cooling down a WIRE trough which an ELECTRIC current is passing u can put it in water?? how are we supposed to do that?? i mean if u do that then we are talking major electric shock here aren't we. just think about it : we are testing the resistance of a wire by passing current through it and DURING THE PROCESS OF PASSSING cuurrent we dip it in water the water will conduct electricity and BANG you will be electrocuted. besides that if u are using that method then it extends ur answer further becuase then u have to mention wither using an insulation on the wire to prevent electric shock or to use gloves wen doingthat although i don't think its logical. but then again we all have our opinions ... its perfectly possible that all my blabbing was for nothing and in the end my own answe is wrong who knows (o i hope that doesn't happen :p ) so best of luk :) (y) and chill out .... prepare for the atp with a cool head and u'll ace it IA! :)

ever heard of instantaneous rest? that is what normally happens to particles on top of crest or bottom of trough! though if the question was draw the direction where it will move next, or the direction where it had moved from, then it could have been down or up respectively!