• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Hi everyone .. please help me out with this problem, i cannot understand the solution provided.
Q)In an experiment, a radio-controlled car takes 2.50 ± 0.05s to travel 40.0 ± 0.1m.
What is the car’s average speed and the uncertainty in this value?
(P.S :Source of the question is physics P1.may/june.2005)

Reaction score
2.7 x 10 ^ 25 m ^-3 ... what is this mate...??? 2.7 into 10 raise to power 25m(what is this "m") raise to power -3...???
lol
In words : 2.7 times 10 to the power of 25 . This value has as units : per cubic metre . m is metre . It means that in 1 metre cube, there is 2.7 x 10 ^25 molecules . Please help me friend .

Reaction score
Hi everyone .. please help me out with this problem, i cannot understand the solution provided.
Q)In an experiment, a radio-controlled car takes 2.50 ± 0.05s to travel 40.0 ± 0.1m.
What is the car’s average speed and the uncertainty in this value?
(P.S :Source of the question is physics P1.may/june.2005)
The car's average speed will be the quotient you receive when you divide the certain value for distance by that of the time. You'll get 40/2.5 = 16! The uncertainity could be calculated as: (I'm using *u* to represent uncertainity in .. )
uSpeed/actual value of speed obtained = udistance/actual value of distance + utime/actual value of time

Reaction score
The car's average speed will be the quotient you receive when you divide the certain value for distance by that of the time. You'll get 40/2.5 = 16! The uncertainity could be calculated as: (I'm using *u* to represent uncertainity in .. )
uSpeed/actual value of speed obtained = udistance/actual value of distance + utime/actual value of time
thank you but ive tried that and the answer comes +/- 0.36 but the correct answer(as the mark scheme shows) is +/- 0.4 .....
all i am asking is that, is the sf changed into 1(rounded off in 1 decimal place), or anything else....?

Reaction score
thank you but ive tried that and the answer comes +/- 0.36 but the correct answer(as the mark scheme shows) is +/- 0.4 .....
all i am asking is that, is the sf changed into 1(rounded off in 1 decimal place), or anything else....?
Yeah the answer is written as 0.4 because uncertainity is always given to 1 significant figure! :)

Reaction score
yes buddy can u prove how

till T/2 time, the velocity has positive sign... indicating that the displacement was done in a specific direction.... after T/2 time the velocity has changed sign but the graph has same gradient...so displacement has been made in opposite direction till T time...

Reaction score
Help

A motorist travelling at 10 m/s
can bring his car to rest in a distance of 10 m.
If he had been travelling at 30 m/s
, in what distance could he bring the car to rest using the same
braking force?

I have no idea how to solve this... Plz help!

Reaction score
Hey buddies could someone please help me with these questions ? It's from the physics Cambridge book.
Here :
Question 1 .
The number of molecules per cubic metre of air at standard temperature and pressure is about 2.7 x 10 ^ 25 m ^-3 .
What is the average separation of these molecules ?
ANSWER : 3.3 x 10 ^ -9

Question 2.
A metal box in the form of a cube of side 30 cm is filled with air at atmospheric pressure (1.01 x 10 ^5 Pa ) at 15 degrees Celsius. The box is sealed and heated in an oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Calculate the net force on each side of the box.
ANSWER : 5.8 x 10^3 N

Thanks in advance

For Q1, cube root 2.7 x 10 ^ 25 m ^-3 and you get 6.46 x 10^-9 m. Divide the answer by two again and you get the final answer. I don't know why divide by two though...
For Q2, use P1/T1 =P2/T2 to get the pressure when box is 200 degree celsius. Remember that temp should be in Kelvin. You should get 1.65 x 10^ 5 Pa. Since it says net force, find its net pressure. Outside the box there's atmospheric pressure of 1.01 x 10^5 Pa already. Inside the box, there's 1.65 x 10^5 Pa. So minus that and you get 6.5 x 10^4 Pa. That times the area which is 0.09m squared, you'll get the final answer :)

Reaction score
Help

A motorist travelling at 10 m/s
can bring his car to rest in a distance of 10 m.
If he had been travelling at 30 m/s
, in what distance could he bring the car to rest using the same
braking force?

I have no idea how to solve this... Plz help!

Tobi will help you solve it! :D
Alright
u = 10 m/s
v = 0 m/s
s = 10 m

That's the first case
So...
You gotta find the retardation of the car first [Basically negative acceleration]
So....
Yeah
* = Multiply

V*V = U*U - 2*a*s
0 = 100 - 20a
-100 = -20a
a = 100/20 =( 5m/s*s)

That's the acceleration of your car! CAR FTW ! XD

Now the question is IF he were to travel at 30m/s,what'd be the distance

Therefore use the same equation again nacho :D

But in this case:
u = 30 m/s
v = 0m/s
s = ??? m
a = 5 m/s*s

V*V = U*U - 2*a*s
0 = 30*30 - 2*5*s
0 = 900 - 10s
- 900 = -10s
s = -900/-10 = 90m

90m OMG. That's the answer lol xD

btw doesn't a motorist drive a motorcycle instead of a car?How can a biker drive a car at the same time when he's driving a bike?:/

Reaction score