• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
image_zps4375d024.jpgScreen Shot 2013-02-21 at 10.06.42 PM.png
I've attached the questions:
The question is c)ii, the mark scheme says that the wave is reflected off of other surfaces, which I understand, but it also says that the path difference decreases and that the amplitude decreases which I don't get. What do they mean by a decreasing path difference and amplitude and how does it relate to minima? Can it be explained by relating it to the scenario in the diagram (ie difference when the mic close to the speaker and as it moves away) and the minima-maxima graph?

Reaction score
View attachment 21350View attachment 21351
I've attached the questions:
The question is c)ii, the mark scheme says that the wave is reflected off of other surfaces, which I understand, but it also says that the path difference decreases and that the amplitude decreases which I don't get. What do they mean by a decreasing path difference and amplitude and how does it relate to minima? Can it be explained by relating it to the scenario in the diagram (ie difference when the mic close to the speaker and as it moves away) and the minima-maxima graph?
minima is formed by complete destructive interference and for that to occur it must be in phase and the amplitudes should such that it cancels each other hope i could help

Reaction score
minima is formed by complete destructive interference and for that to occur it must be in phase and the amplitudes should such that it cancels each other hope i could help
I thought that in phase waves cause constructive interference? and I understand that but what does the amplitude and path difference have to do with it?

Reaction score
Plus, how could te amplitudes at the minima even decrease because I thought that it must always be 0?!

Reaction score
I thought that in phase waves cause constructive interference? and I understand that but what does the amplitude and path difference have to do with it?
sorry about the phase stuff i wanted to write there is a path difference which means they are out of phase and thus cant cancel each other completely i.e (destructive interference) and zero minima here means no sound is this possible??? when u are actually moving loud speaker towards microphone

Reaction score
guys, does anyone know how the marks are calculated for AS levels to get a mark out of 130?

Reaction score
could someone please tell me if its okay to break both the x-axis and the y-axis for the graphs in P3 of physics? Or are we supposed to break the x-axis?
a quick reply would be highly appreciated! thanks. :)

p.s. kindly reply

Reaction score
A thermometer can be read to an accuracy of ± 0.5 °C. This thermometer is used to measure a
temperature rise from 40 °C to 100 °C.
What is the percentage uncertainty in the measurement of the temperature rise?
A 0.5 % B 0.8 % C 1.3 % D 1.7 %............. THANKS IN ADVANCE

Dug

Reaction score
A thermometer can be read to an accuracy of ± 0.5 °C. This thermometer is used to measure a
temperature rise from 40 °C to 100 °C.
What is the percentage uncertainty in the measurement of the temperature rise?
A 0.5 % B 0.8 % C 1.3 % D 1.7 %............. THANKS IN ADVANCE
Percentage Uncertainty = (0.5 + 0.5)/60 x 100 = 1.6666 = 1.7 (2s.f)

Reaction score
Percentage Uncertainty = (0.5 + 0.5)/60 x 100 = 1.6666 = 1.7 (2s.f)
Can you please tell me the uncertainities of all instruments to be used in phy and chem labs? I have been searching for them and with no luck. Like stopwatch having typical uncertainity of 0.2 due to human error .

Reaction score
Can you please tell me the uncertainities of all instruments to be used in phy and chem labs? I have been searching for them and with no luck. Like stopwatch having typical uncertainity of 0.2 due to human error .
uncertainities of all instruments in phy are taken as their least counts eg. 0.1 mm in vernier caliper
as for in chem n bio uncertainities are taken to b 'half' of least count

Reactions: Dug
Reaction score
uncertainities of all instruments in phy are taken as their least counts eg. 0.1 mm in vernier caliper
as for in chem n bio uncertainities are taken to b 'half' of least count
and the least counts of the instruments are? sorry if it takes your time but I am in desperate need for them :(

Reaction score
Hi can someone help me with question 26 Nov/10/v2?
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...nd AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w10_qp_12.pdf
A microwave transmitter emits waves towards a metal plate. The waves strike the plate and are
reflected back along their original path.

A microwave detector is moved along the line PT.
Points P, Q, R, S and T are the positions where minima of intensity are observed. These points
are found to be 15mm apart.
What is the frequency of the microwaves?
A 5.0GHz B 6.7GHz C 10GHz D 20GHz
The answer is C. Can someone please explain how to get it?

Reaction score
Hi can someone help me with question 26 Nov/10/v2?
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w10_qp_12.pdf
A microwave transmitter emits waves towards a metal plate. The waves strike the plate and are
reflected back along their original path.

A microwave detector is moved along the line PT.
Points P, Q, R, S and T are the positions where minima of intensity are observed. These points
are found to be 15mm apart.
What is the frequency of the microwaves?
A 5.0GHz B 6.7GHz C 10GHz D 20GHz
The answer is C. Can someone please explain how to get it?
distance between one minima to the other is 0.5 wavelength
0.5 wavelength=15*10^-3
wavelength =0.03m
we speed of the light is 3*10^8
frequency= velocity/wavelength
3*10^8/0.03 = we get 1*10^10
1*10^3 is kil0
1*10^6 is mega
1*10^9 is gega
so it is 10GHZ