• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Silent Hunter said:
http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/International%20A%20And%20AS%20Level/9702%20-%20Physics/9702_w03_qp_1.pdf

anybody explain Q11 please

Thank you

is it D?
momentum change = m * change in velocity
initial velocity is = u
final is = -u (-ve sign is due to direction change)
change is [u-(-u)]
change is 2u
momentum change is 2mu

Reaction score
Silent Hunter said:
http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/index.php?dir=International%20A%20And%20AS%20Level/9702%20-%20Physics/&file=9702_s05_qp_1.pdf

help required in Q7
There is only one force acting on the ball; it's weight so the resultant force is constant. Using F=ma, acceleration will also be constant. Choices narrowed down to B and C. The reason B is correct is this: "Take vertically upwards as positive". You can work that acceleration will be negative in this case by taking arbitrary values for speed. Try it.

Reaction score
"Take vertically upwards as positive".

doesnt this mean that rising column should have negative sign with 9.8 ?
i mean rising means its going upwards

Reaction score
but going down means it should be positive.......... shouldn't the falling one should be positive

Reaction score
Silent Hunter said:
but going down means it should be positive.......... shouldn't the falling one should be positive
Consider a falling object: Let's say it's speed increases from 3 m/s to 13 m/s in 1s. Since downward motion is negative, we would take the speed values as -3 and -13. So, a = -13 - (-3)/1 = - 10 m/s^2.
In upward movement, speed decreases due to the downward gravitational force. Say it decreases from 13 m/s to 3 m/s in 1 s. So, a = 3 - 13/1 = - 10 m/s^2.
Hence, in all cases, acceleration is negative and constant. (-9.81 m/s^2 throughout)

Reaction score
abcde said:
Silent Hunter said:
Consider a falling object: Let's say it's speed increases from 3 m/s to 13 m/s in 1s. Since downward motion is negative, we would take the speed values as -3 and -13. So, a = -13 - (-3)/1 = - 10 m/s^2.
In upward movement, speed decreases due to the downward gravitational force. Say it decreases from 13 m/s to 3 m/s in 1 s. So, a = 3 - 13/1 = - 10 m/s^2.
Hence, in all cases, acceleration is negative and constant. (-9.81 m/s^2 throughout)

GOT IT............ thanks alot

Reaction score
Reaction score
Silent Hunter said:
http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/index.php?dir=International%20A%20And%20AS%20Level/9702%20-%20Physics/&file=9702_s07_qp_1.pdf

Q12 explanation is required

Thank You
welcome....:D
see the total momentum remains same after the collision right? so momentum before the collision is 4 X 2=8 + 4 X 1 =4 total p equals to 12. total mass after the collision 6kg , find the velocity now.
12 = 1/2 X 6 X v^2 , the velocity will be 2m/s ok so now calculate the total kinetic energy = 1/2mv^2 u will get 12 J. agar nai samajh aya toh i can explain in some other way.

Reaction score
rviboy said:
Silent Hunter said:
http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/index.php?dir=International%20A%20And%20AS%20Level/9702%20-%20Physics/&file=9702_s07_qp_1.pdf

Q12 explanation is required

Thank You
welcome....:D
see the total momentum remains same after the collision right? so momentum before the collision is 4 X 2=8 + 4 X 1 =4 total p equals to 12. total mass after the collision 6kg , find the velocity now.
12 = 1/2 X 6 X v^2 , the velocity will be 2m/s ok so now calculate the total kinetic energy = 1/2mv^2 u will get 12 J. agar nai samajh aya toh i can explain in some other way.

12 = momentum not energy then why you have equaled KE to 12 ?

Reaction score
yes my mistake. we use the law of conservation of momentum to calculate the velocity of the two bodies after collision. which is p = mv so 12= 6 into v, v= 2, put it in kinetic energy equation. B is the ans

Reaction score
please explain where do we get the length in NOV 2010 PAPER 43 Q5C while using the formula F= BIL.
also, please let me know if anyone knows what do we have to cover up in the points mentioned in p4 syllabus which i posted previously on page 40 of this thread.
thanks a lot!

Reaction score
Asalamoalikum

Wanted some help regarding phase difference.What is it? What is constant phase difference?

EXAM TOMORROW

Thank You

Reaction score
Phase Difference between two particles or two waves tells us how much a particle (or wave) is in front or behind another particle (or wave).or the amount by which one oscillation leads or lags behind another. for constructive interference the phase difference is multiples of n lambda, and for destructive interference the phase difference is n+1/2 lambda.

P.S use David sang, Graham Jones... physics Cambridge endorsed book, explains quite well. Good luck

Reaction score
hi guys. i m having sm conceptual problems in basic concepts in chapters like gravity and electric field like :-
  • why is gravitational field strength maximum at poles rather than at equator when it should be vice versa as seen by the formula. g=GM/r^2 that is g is directly proportional to 1/r^2?
  • in electric field, why do we say that inside a point charge, potential is constant that is an equipotential surface exists?
please please answer them

Reaction score
Hi can plz somebody explain to me how to answer the following two questions from physics 9702 AS level May/June 2010 Paper 23:

Question 2)Part C
Question 3)Part A

??????