• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Please answer these questions about internal resistance.

1.Three cells, each of e.m.f. 1.5v, are connected in series to a 15 ohm light bulb. The current in the circuit is 0.27A. Calculate the internal resistance of each cell.

2. A cell of e.m.f 1.5v has an internal resistance of 0.50 ohm. Calculate the maximum current it can deliver. under what circuit does it deliver this maximum current. Calculate also the maximum power it can deliver to an external load. Under what circumstances does it deliver this maximum power?

Reaction score
hi guys. i m having sm conceptual problems in basic concepts in chapters like gravity and electric field like :-
  • why is gravitational field strength maximum at poles rather than at equator when it should be vice versa as seen by the formula. g=GM/r^2 that is g is directly proportional to 1/r^2?
  • in electric field, why do we say that inside a point charge, potential is constant that is an equipotential surface exists?
please please answer them

g is directly proportional to 1/r^2
at poles, radius is minimum so g will b maximum while at equator, radius is max to g will b minimum.

Reaction score
Please answer these questions about internal resistance.

1.Three cells, each of e.m.f. 1.5v, are connected in series to a 15 ohm light bulb. The current in the circuit is 0.27A. Calculate the internal resistance of each cell.

2. A cell of e.m.f 1.5v has an internal resistance of 0.50 ohm. Calculate the maximum current it can deliver. under what circuit does it deliver this maximum current. Calculate also the maximum power it can deliver to an external load. Under what circumstances does it deliver this maximum power?

1. v = ir
3 cells so v = 4.5 v
4.5 = 0.27 * r
r = 16.66 ohms
this is total resistance
r = 15 + internal resistance*3
1.66 = 3x
x = 0.55 ohms

2. v = ir
1.5 = 0.5 * i
i = 3 A
current divides in parallel n remains same in series so max current in series circuit.
p = vi
p = 3*1.5
p = 4.5 W

Reaction score
1. v = ir
3 cells so v = 4.5 v
4.5 = 0.27 * r
r = 16.66 ohms
this is total resistance
r = 15 + internal resistance*3
1.66 = 3x
x = 0.55 ohms

2. v = ir
1.5 = 0.5 * i
i = 3 A
current divides in parallel n remains same in series so max current in series circuit.
p = vi
p = 3*1.5
p = 4.5 W

Thanks alot!!!:)

Reaction score
Can somebody plz explain to me how part c of question 2 is done?

Attachments

• 9702_s10_qp_23 (1).pdf
    136.2 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
g is directly proportional to 1/r^2
at poles, radius is minimum so g will b maximum while at equator, radius is max to g will b minimum.

in our syllabus we always take earth to be a perfect sphere with uniform density. so this concept cant be applied here =(

Reaction score
hey guys , tomorow iz my physics practial exam of as level (school exam)
how do i prepare it ?
any relevant sites wud b helpful

Reaction score
Hi can plz somebody explain to me how to answer the following two questions from physics 9702 AS level May/June 2010 Paper 23:

Question 2)Part C
Question 3)Part A

??????
Check the attachment for Q2(c). Forces in Equilibrium.png
For Q3(a), you need to find the area beneath the graph for which you'll have to employ a means of counting the boxes as the graph isn't a straight line and integration is not an option.

Reaction score
hi guys. i m having sm conceptual problems in basic concepts in chapters like gravity and electric field like :-
  • why is gravitational field strength maximum at poles rather than at equator when it should be vice versa as seen by the formula. g=GM/r^2 that is g is directly proportional to 1/r^2?
  • in electric field, why do we say that inside a point charge, potential is constant that is an equipotential surface exists?
please please answer them

Reaction score
Hi everyone, assalamoalaikum!! :)

To get things organized in a better way, I am making this thread. As othewise, some queries remain unanswered!

So post your AS/A2 PHYSICS doubts in this thread. InshaAllah other people here will help me and you all. :D ;)

NOTE: If any doubts in the pastpapers, please post the link! You can find links here!

Any Physics related notes and links will be added here in this post. Feel free to provide the links to your notes around the forum, or any other websites! :)
Thanks!
Jazak Allah Khair!

Physics Notes:

Some links & Notes - by 'destined007'

Physics Practical Tips - by arlery

Notes for A2 Direct Sensing (Applications) - shared by sweetiepie

The link isn't working :'(

Reaction score
Can someone please help me? My teacher is basically of no use and refuses to answer our questions. So I want to know what does Justify mean in physics? In question 1ciii

Thank you

Attachments

• 9702_s06_qp_2.doc
    271 KB · Views: 2
Reaction score
Can someone please help me? My teacher is basically of no use and refuses to answer our questions. So I want to know what does Justify mean in physics? In question 1ciii

Thank you
If you're talking about Q1)(c), you have show whether the assumption is valid or not (justified or not).

Reaction score
If you're talking about Q1)(c), you have show whether the assumption is valid or not (justified or not).
when i look at the mark scheme the answer makes no sense | i got the two figures but can't relate them how