• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

asd

Reaction score
please help me with question number 7(b) i went through the marking scheme but couldn't understand it, please explain
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...nd AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_s12_qp_23.pdf

View attachment 24630
Use the Geiger Muller tube to check the count-rate. Now place a thin sheet of paper in front of the tube, if alpha is present, it will alter the rate. Note this down. Now place an aluminium sheet in front of the tube, if it stops the radiation by the same amount, It means beta is not present.

For b, Just put two magnets such that the field between them is perpendicular to the direction of radiation. Now if beta is present it should move out of the plane. Just use a detector to check if any radiation is detected.

Reaction score
in 3ci see that other than the weight the only external force that can act on the card is where its in contact with something and its DEFINITELY not the hand because they r asking about AFTER u release the card so it will be around the rod... that figured out u need to think of one force basically becuase one is a definite friction..... so think over it what is keeping the card on the rod?? there is a reactive force of the rod holding the card up ryt?? against its weight?? so there must be and upward force or there is another option of the rod's weight acting bcz that too is happening ryt? :)
tell me if I'm wrong
I'll c the other question and get back to u assap :)

Reaction score
ok i;m not solving this part but here's wat u need to do... I'll just run u through the method

ok have this covered that the voltage iin the voltmeter is the voltage of the thermistor too
calculate the total current in the circuit. calculate the current in the resistor having the 1.6kOhm resistance and thus calculate the current left to run through the thermistor part of the circuit.
once u have the current and the voltage of the thermistor calculate the resistance and then go over to ur graph with ur resistance value for the thermistor.... from there match the correct temperature (on the x-axis) for the attained resistance of the thermistor.
If u don't get it or if i am wrong in any of the two questions then tell me :)

Reaction score
I is directly propotional to A^2

I = kA^2
I/A^2 = k

We always find the value of k and then find the twice the amplitude etc etc..

Like if I is 6 and A is 2 .. and another wave has Double the amplitude..

6= k(2^2)
6= 4k
k= 1.5
I=kA^2
I=1.5(2*2)^2
I=24 Answer..

similarly in terms of I and A..

I = kA^2
k = I/A^2

Doubling A means ..

I = kA^2
I = k (2A)^2
I = k*4A^2
I = 4A^2 * I/A^2
I = 4I
Thanks bruv :)

asd

Reaction score
okay guys plz explain this concept in Q6aii from this paper:
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_s11_qp_22.pdf
how do v get the phase difference? I got the one at P but even that was a guess... help plzz
when you get a bright fringe, the waves interfere constructively i.e the phase difference is either 0* or 360* or n(360)
when you get a dark fringe, the waves interfere destructively, the phase difference has to be 180* or n(180)
where n is the number of order.

Reaction score

ci)Two other forces would be-
1) the normal reaction force, which acts upwards from the rod.
2) Friction between the rod and the card as the card swings.

cii) the card comes to rest when it's center of gravity is directly along the vertical axis through the rod. This is because at this position the weight does not create any moment about the rod. No resultant moment so the card rests.

Reaction score
ci)Two other forces would be-
1) the normal reaction force, which acts upwards from the rod.
2) Friction between the rod and the card as the card swings.

cii) the card comes to rest when it's center of gravity is directly along the vertical axis through the rod. This is because at this position the weight does not create any moment about the rod. No resultant moment so the card rests.
woww i explained that question too earlier today but my exlanation seeems like layman language and kindergarten stuff when compared to urs ... hats off man #RESPECT!! O__O :D