• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
How many significant figures does our answer needs to be in a level physics paper 4?
i have been doing pastpapers and i loose a lot of marks by writing the answer in wromg number of significant figures!
can the examiner penalise me in every question or just once in the whole paper?

Reaction score
How many significant figures does our answer needs to be in a level physics paper 4?
i have been doing pastpapers and i loose a lot of marks by writing the answer in wromg number of significant figures!
can the examiner penalise me in every question or just once in the whole paper?

3 significant figures or 1 decimal place. Its given in the instruction of the question paper only.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
If the intensity is increased, more photo-electrons are emitted, but they have same max k.e.
Max k.e depends on frequency, i.e high frequency means high k.e.
Yeah high frequency means high photon energy. But why does it mean that there will be less photons arriving per unit time?

Reaction score
I thought that depended on the values given in the question. If they are all given in 2 s.f shouldn't t your final answer be in 2 s.f as well? :unsure:

Yeah that too! but more significant number means less uncertainty...so 3 sf is much reliable. im talking about paper 4 here.
For paper 5, you're right!:)

Reaction score
The no. of photons arriving per unit time depends on intensity. It doesn't depend on frequency. If less photons are arriving that means the intensity is less! :)