• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
PLEASE HELP!!

A ball is thrown horizontally in still air from the top of a very tall building. The ball is affected by air
resistance.

What happens to the horizontal and to the vertical components of the ball’s velocity?

MARKSCHEME SAYS:
horizontal component of velocity decreases to zero AND
vertical component of velocity increases to a constant value

I SAY:

horizontal component of velocity remains constant AND

Am I wrong or markscheme wrong?? :(

Reaction score
Since it is asked for an elastic collision, remember: speed of approach= speed of separation
Again, look here :foryou.png
This is a similar concept!!! A simple question! Now put the values of your velocities and see whether speed of approach= Speed of seperation.
If they both are equal it is elastic. I did this question yesterday. And remember to draw diagrams :D Forward direction is + and backward is -
Light and God bless you good luck !!
I hope this helps. :)

Reaction score
PLEASE HELP!!

A ball is thrown horizontally in still air from the top of a very tall building. The ball is affected by air
resistance.

What happens to the horizontal and to the vertical components of the ball’s velocity?

MARKSCHEME SAYS:

I SAY:

The horizontal velocity will decrease to Zero and the veritcal velocity will increase until it reaches a constant value. This question involves the concept of terminal velocity. The vertical velocity will increase initially due to the object's weight by as it is countered by drag the velocity will reach a constant value when the object is in vertical equilibrium. Whereas, the horizonal velocity will decrease to zero because of the consistent air resistance.

Reaction score
PLEASE HELP!!

resistance.

MARKSCHEME SAYS:

I SAY:

The horizontal component of the velocity is also affected by the air resistance so it eventually becomes zero.

Reaction score
27)
look, for you to determine the polarity you just see,weight of body should act downwards
therefore electric field should act upwards
body should be attracted upwards(towards positive pole)means it is negatively charged
.now since body is kept at rest..electric force=weight
electric force = qE and weight = mg qE = mg if u make q divide by m (which is the charge to mass ratio) you are left with g divided by E
hence answer is B
33)
Use formula itself to answer this question
I = Q / t
So it means, the amount of charge flowing past a point in XY per second