• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
i need help in a few questions from
NOV 12 P11 Qs ( 6 , 11 , 23 , 29 , 36) :/
6)
The question states that "X is measured with a percentage uncertainty of ±1 % of its value at all temperatures." meaning that the percentage uncertainty is unchanged, so A and B is eliminated.
then you need to apply some logic here, will the actual uncertainty get bigger as you approach 100 or 0?.
you can quickly do some math here, 100x1% = ±1 uncertainty while 0x1% = 0
so answer is C, least actual uncertainty when temperature close to 0

11)
The object hits the wall with a speed v, and rebounds with the same speed, but a velocity in the opposite direction.
Kinetic Energy does not depend on the direction of an object's velocity, just the magnitude of that objects velocity, i.e. the speed. Therefore, since the speed remains the same even after the collision, the Kinetic Energy of the object is conserved.

By the same logic applied above, we can say that the speed is conserved, so that option is eliminated.

Lastly, the mass of the object doesn't change, and therefore the mass also remains conserved.
By elimination, we can confidently say that the momentum of the object is the only value that is not conserved - momentum, unlike the other values, is a vector quantity; since the direction of the object's speed changes, the momentum also changes, and is therefore not conserved.

23)
We use F = kx
so we know k for P and Q is k and for R is 3k
--> Therefore total extension of P and Q = k + k = 2k and extension for P,Q and R = 1/2k + 1/3k = (5/6)^-1k = 6/5k
so F = W, k = 6/5k and x = ?
W = 6/5k * x
x = 5w/6k

29)
There should be more points on to which the light strikes so it's either B or C, but hence in C the lines are closer, there is more intensity

36)
Firstly the ammeter is directly connected with the fixed resistor so there is no change in readings.
And its obvious, when there are two resistors, if one resistor's resistance is increasing, so others resistor's resistance would decrease so R is proportional to V hence V decreases.

Reaction score
A moving body undergoes uniform acceleration while travelling in a straight line between points
X, Y and Z. The distances XY and YZ are both 40 m. The time to travel from X to Y is 12 s and
from Y to Z is 6.0 s.
What is the acceleration of the body?
A 0.37 m s–2 B 0.49 m s–2 C 0.56 m s–2 D 1.1 m s–2
Dushyant, here I took distance XY and XZ and solve them simultaneously.
This was the only way I could think of :p
ZaqZainab I tried your way now :p LOL
Anyways here is my method :¬

Use the equation of motion d = ut + 0.5at^2

equation 1 : 40 = 12u + 72a

equation 2 : 80 = 18u + 162a

[I added the distances, so that initial speed of both equations will be same]

now solve these simultaneously, and you will get 0.37 m/s^2 as the answer.

P.S. I solved it in full detail, go some few pages back, and you'll get your answer :)

Reaction score
Case i)
When all 3 springs are attached to the load W :
So, think.. If you have 3 springs and you have 1 weight attach to them what will be the force for each string ?
It would be W/3
So we know F = kx
k = W/3x

Case ii)
When middle spring is removed and 2W load is attached to them :
So, think again, what would be the force for each string ?
It would be W
So you know the value of k i.e is W/3x and constant doesn't change, as it is named as constant itself.
so considering :
F = kx
x = W / (W/3x)
x = ( W * 3x ) / W
so W gets canceled off and now you are remained with 3x which is our answer, D.

Reaction score
6)
The question states that "X is measured with a percentage uncertainty of ±1 % of its value at all temperatures." meaning that the percentage uncertainty is unchanged, so A and B is eliminated.
then you need to apply some logic here, will the actual uncertainty get bigger as you approach 100 or 0?.
you can quickly do some math here, 100x1% = ±1 uncertainty while 0x1% = 0
so answer is C, least actual uncertainty when temperature close to 0

11)
The object hits the wall with a speed v, and rebounds with the same speed, but a velocity in the opposite direction.
Kinetic Energy does not depend on the direction of an object's velocity, just the magnitude of that objects velocity, i.e. the speed. Therefore, since the speed remains the same even after the collision, the Kinetic Energy of the object is conserved.

By the same logic applied above, we can say that the speed is conserved, so that option is eliminated.

Lastly, the mass of the object doesn't change, and therefore the mass also remains conserved.
By elimination, we can confidently say that the momentum of the object is the only value that is not conserved - momentum, unlike the other values, is a vector quantity; since the direction of the object's speed changes, the momentum also changes, and is therefore not conserved.

23)
We use F = kx
so we know k for P and Q is k and for R is 3k
--> Therefore total extension of P and Q = k + k = 2k and extension for P,Q and R = 1/2k + 1/3k = (5/6)^-1k = 6/5k
so F = W, k = 6/5k and x = ?
W = 6/5k * x
x = 5w/6k

29)
There should be more points on to which the light strikes so it's either B or C, but hence in C the lines are closer, there is more intensity

36)
Firstly the ammeter is directly connected with the fixed resistor so there is no change in readings.
And its obvious, when there are two resistors, if one resistor's resistance is increasing, so others resistor's resistance would decrease so R is proportional to V hence V decreases.

umm do u mind explaining 23 again??
i didnt understand why u just added the k's and why u inversed them
is there a concept behind this that im missing out on??

Reaction score
Gosh! I like your presentation ! - A LOT :)
you being sarcastic? o_O
Thanks though ;)
Dushyant, here I took distance XY and XZ and solve them simultaneously.
This was the only way I could think of :p
ZaqZainab I tried your way now :p LOL
Anyways here is my method :¬

Use the equation of motion d = ut + 0.5at^2

equation 1 : 40 = 12u + 72a

equation 2 : 80 = 18u + 162a

[I added the distances, so that initial speed of both equations will be same]

now solve these simultaneously, and you will get 0.37 m/s^2 as the answer.

P.S. I solved it in full detail, go some few pages back, and you'll get your answer :)
thats the same thing i did

Reaction score
soo the W is going to be equal for all the springs??
No..
case i)
You had 3 strings with load W
so imagine if you have 3 students and 1 chocolate
What is the ratio of getting chocolate to each child ?
Obviously 1/3
so same over here
3 strings = 3 students
W load = 1 chocolate
so load (Force) on each spring will be W/3

case ii)
You have 2 strings with load 2W
so imagine now you have 2 students and 2 chocolates
What is the ratio of getting chocolate to each child ?
Obviously 1
so same over here
2 strings = 2 students
2W load = 2 chocolates
so load (Force) on each spring will be W

Got it ? :)