• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Plz help me with part (II) .. its june 09

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 12.43.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 12.43.59 PM.png
    86.3 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Ok yeah taking the real case scenario it is clear
But then as you said "a 'centripetal' force is any force that acts towards the centre. since the mud is on an object in circular motion, it will experience a force."
Doesn't that mean the mud will experience a force towards the centre?
No...Actually the centripetal force acting toward the centre is approximately at 90 degrees of an angle to the velocity in which the object is moving.
Hence, it does not have a component that is in the direction of the velocity of the object.
So, obviously neither the object nor the mud moves toward the centre. But, yes...you can definitely state that the mud and the object both experience a force toward the centre. If this force weren't there the, the object and mud would both move off in a straight line.
There would be no circular motion.
The action of the centripetal force that ACTS TOWARD THE CENTRE basically just bends the otherwise straight-line motion of the mud and object.
I HOPE I MADE IT A LITTLE CLEAR. o_O:whistle:

Reaction score
View attachment 57865

Could anyone explain how you deduce the answer...
Step by step!!!! :)
3.8 x 10^5 will be the distance of the edge of moon to telescope (radius)
omega = 9.7 x 10^-6
When theta is so small the curvature = straight line.
We have to find Arc length which can be considered as a diameter as theta (omega) is so small.
So S = r x theta
Hence s = 3.8 x 10^5 x 9.7 x 10^-6 = 3700m