• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
A standing wave is produced when two waves are moving in opposite direction to each other which have the same frequency, wavelength and speed. So when the two loudspeaker are positioned in opposite direction a standing wave is produced
Ummm okay........ But what I don't get is why isn't it B or C then?
Since B has two speakers in the opposite directions and C has a reflection (which in the question is set up)......... o_O

Reaction score
I don't think I have the proper explanation behind it but how I did it was that x+y has to be 50 and x has to be the smaller one......... This leaves us with only option B.......... And I think the answer is B ? :D
So is C. X+Y is 50. And don't say that X is smaller in the diagram cuz it's not to scale:p and yes the ans is B

Reaction score
So is C. X+Y is 50. And don't say that X is smaller in the diagram cuz it's not to scale:p and yes the ans is B
Oh I never noticed the Not to scale thing.......... :D
Like I said, I don't think I have a proper explanation but I guess it has something to do with the excess pressure and stuff :p

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with this?

"A power supply of e.m.f. E and internal resistance R is connected to a 10 kΩ resistor. The current drawn from the power supply is 0.91 mA. A voltmeter of internal resistance 10 kΩ is connected in parallel with the 10 kΩ resistor, and reads 8.3 V. Calculate the e.m.f. and the internal resistance of the power supply."

This question should be answered using Kirchhoff's laws.

Reaction score
Book says :

1.Back Emf seems to imply opposition, something not wanted, yet in a motor it is the induced emf that is responsible for the mechanical work output of the motor.
2.The workdone against the induced emf in a motor is the useful work output of the motor. Workdone against the resistance of the wires is wasted as thermal energy

Can someone explain please?
How is back emf responsible for the ouput of a motor? :S