• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Reaction score
a car travelling at a steady speed of 30 m/s along a motorway overtakes a coach travelling in the same direction at 25 m/s. how far ahead of the coach will the car be
a) 1 minute after overtaking.
b) 30 minutes after overtaking

answers a ) 300m b ) 9 km

Reaction score
Anyone please help me with the graphs for electromagnetic induction :( i can't find it anywhere.
the questions are from s02 no.6 and s03 no.6스크린샷 2012-04-22 오전 9.57.48.png스크린샷 2012-04-22 오전 9.58.39.png

Reaction score
What about minima and maxima? what are those?

and when 2 waves meet, and theyy have like crest and trough meeting...
so when are stationary waves produced and when are destructive interference produced?
the fringes are also called maxima. dark fringe being called minima where destructive interference occus. i.e the path difference will be n+1/2 lambda if its minima or destructive interference taking place, path difference will be n lambda if its constructive intereference or maxima forming.

stationary waves are produced when two waves of same amplitude, frequency and wavelength are moving in opposite directions. they cancel out each others effect. no energy being transferred.

Reaction score
Can anyone help me out with this question below:

M/J 2005
Q7) The isotope Manganese-56 decays and undergoes β-particle emission to form the stable
isotope Iron-56. The half-life for this decay is 2.6 hours.
Initially, at time t = 0, a sample of Manganese-56 has a mass of 1.4 μg and there is no
Iron-56.

(c)Determine the time at which the ratio
mass of Iron-56 TO mass of Manganese-56
is equal to 9.0.

time = ................................ hours [2]

Reaction score
any suggestions,where to study phase difference in waves from?anyone?..
how much does one wave lags behind the other. one wave is equal to 2 pi radians. how much out of phase are two waves on a graph. use chadda's book cambridge endorsed one,
draw a graph , taking displacement on y axis and distance on x axis. draw a sin wave. the wave is 360 degree or 2 pi radians.
take points according on x- axis. take two points suppose A and B , a at start of the wave and b at the end of the wave, both being in same state of motion or at same displacement from mean position. they have a phase difference of 360 degree or 2 pi radians. just like this take any two points and read on the x axis how much they differ in radians or in degrees. this is how we calcular phase angle difference.

Reaction score
Hey can anyone help me with this question? It's from O/N 11 52.. It says I should be varying the frequency of current in one coil to see
how the emf induced in the other coil varies. Now, a solution I suggested was to use a DC supply, and a switch attached to it. For a constant
time period say 10 seconds, I turned the switch on and off say 5 times for the first experiment. The frequency can thus be calculated by 5/10.
The same procedure is repeated with however greater number of times the switch is turned off and on for the same time period.
However, this particular solution was not suggested in the markscheme. Can anyone tell me if I will still be considered correct?problem.png

Reaction score
Can anyone help me out with this question below:

M/J 2005
Q7) The isotope Manganese-56 decays and undergoes β-particle emission to form the stable
isotope Iron-56. The half-life for this decay is 2.6 hours.
Initially, at time t = 0, a sample of Manganese-56 has a mass of 1.4 μg and there is no
Iron-56.

(c)Determine the time at which the ratio
mass of Iron-56 TO mass of Manganese-56
is equal to 9.0.

time = ................................ hours [2]

N=N knot e ^-lemda t
where Nknot = original number of undecayed nuclides at time t=0 so here N knot= 10 because original number was 10 out of which 9 decayed into iron and one was left
N=number of undecayed nuclides after time t so here N=1 as one manganese was left out of the 10 so 1=10e^-lemda t
lemda=0.693/2.6=0.2665 so overall t=ln10/0.2665=0.864hours

Reaction score
Can anyone explain me Q no. 38
Question: O/N 2011 Paper 12
Ans is A according to marking scheme.[/quote

combined resistance of voltmeter + 200kilo ohm resistor =100 kilo ohm total resistance = 400+100=500 kilo ohm total current across the whole circuit =60/500000=1.2 multiply by 10^-4 so now reading across the voltmeter = 1.2 into 10^-4 multiply by 100000=12V so the answer is A

Reaction score
Hey can anyone help me with this question? It's from O/N 11 52.. It says I should be varying the frequency of current in one coil to see
how the emf induced in the other coil varies. Now, a solution I suggested was to use a DC supply, and a switch attached to it. For a constant
time period say 10 seconds, I turned the switch on and off say 5 times for the first experiment. The frequency can thus be calculated by 5/10.
The same procedure is repeated with however greater number of times the switch is turned off and on for the same time period.
However, this particular solution was not suggested in the markscheme. Can anyone tell me if I will still be considered correct?View attachment 7088
i dun knw the ans to this ques but the emf is only induced when there is a change in magnetic flux. and that happens only when the current is alternating. not in dc

Reaction score
Q. Describe an experiment to determine the acceleration of free fall using a falling body.

Reaction score
i dun knw the ans to this ques but the emf is only induced when there is a change in magnetic flux. and that happens only when the current is alternating. not in dc

yes, but u can also use a DC circuit to give altrenating current if u turn the switch on and off constantly.. and that's how i had explained it..

Reaction score
D=-4cos 120=2 cm so the piston will be 2cm above AB and moving upwards as it is +2cm
So u just put the angle in that equation.. Can u explain the logic behind this.. Moreover, the second question says the phase difference is 240 degrees..
but d= -4cos240 = +2 which means this should also be in the +ve dir, whereas it is negative..

Reaction score
How do you effectively find the area under the curves? I knw counting full squares and half-squres... but I always don't get the answer within the range (not problem of reading axis, units)스크린샷 2012-04-23 오후 5.58.48.png