• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
9702_s09_qp 1
Ans is C
im confused there are two types of beta decay
someone please explain the answer
Qupload_2016-5-21_19-25-27.png

Reaction score
9702_s09_qp 1
Ans is C
im confused there are two types of beta decay
someone please explain the answer
QView attachment 60625
In the old syllabuses, there was only one type of Beta decay,which is B- decay . So whenever they mention beta decay we will assume it to be B- .

So in B- neutron decays to proton increasing the proton number while keeping nucleon number the same. But this question is backwards. So it must have one less proton to form this Calcium nuclide. So ans should be C

Reaction score
upload_2016-5-21_19-52-8.png

The question is from 9702_s09_qp_1 and the answer is B.
In my opinion the answer should have been C because if we were to consider the water on both the tanks and their heights, the total PE would come out to be mgh/2. If we were to subtract this from the original height, the loss would come out to be mgh/2. [All this is done if we were to assume that the new height of the water in each tank would be 1/2h]

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah so I made a huge blunder in my Physics paper 3 practical exam. Instead of measuring and recording length of x in question 1, I measured it from the opposite side so my readings are kind of 1-x rather than x. This did mess up my trend in graph as well.

Up to how many marks will I lose for the table and the graph because of this?

(Since no one replies in threads, I'll post this here xD)

Reaction score
Two copper wires connected in parallel, one wire is thick n other is thin, why is drift velocity same in both? (According to pacific phy) ..oh and assuming a constant temperature...

Reaction score
Yeah so I made a huge blunder in my Physics paper 3 practical exam. Instead of measuring and recording length of x in question 1, I measured it from the opposite side so my readings are kind of 1-x rather than x. This did mess up my trend in graph as well.

Up to how many marks will I lose for the table and the graph because of this?

(Since no one replies in threads, I'll post this here xD)
It maybe considered as e.c.f. 'error carried forward' , and you may lose 1-2 marks at maximum :)

Reaction score
It maybe considered as e.c.f. 'error carried forward' , and you may lose 1-2 marks at maximum :)
Your reply really made my day but this is question 1 we are talking about. My trend in graph is opposite and the whole table of results has wrong values of x (other calculations, decimal places, s.f, column titles with there units are perfectly fine though). My Sir said that I may loose upto 5-6 marks for this. Well either way, I'll be trying my best for paper 1. Thanks for replying :)

Reaction score
9702_s15_qp_12.pdf
Can somebody explain question 6. Answer is C
And Question 36. Answer is B
Question 6: Original length is 0.8+0.2 because of systematic error, it appeared less. Uncertainties are added up so 0.02mm + 0.02mm = 0.04 total uncertainity. UC % = 0.04/1.0 * 100 = 4%

Reaction score
9702_s15_qp_12.pdf
Can somebody explain question 6. Answer is C
And Question 36. Answer is B
For question 36, the slider is fitted with 3 Ohm resistor so think of it as something as that can move above or below the 3 Ohm resistor but not move as far as to the other resistors.
The 4 Ohm resistor will have a P.d of 4V across it according to the P.d formula: 4/(4+3+2) * 12
So 5V from total will be left, the 3 Ohm resistor will have P.d 3V across it so 2V will be left from the total. The last 2V will be the P.d across the 2 Ohm resistor. Here's a pic for better understanding. Think of blue lines as far as the slider can go.

1ROhAM9.png

Reaction score
Your reply really made my day but this is question 1 we are talking about. My trend in graph is opposite and the whole table of results has wrong values of x (other calculations, decimal places, s.f, column titles with there units are perfectly fine though). My Sir said that I may loose upto 5-6 marks for this. Well either way, I'll be trying my best for paper 1. Thanks for replying :)
My teacher told me that. And he's been teaching since 2005. You won't lose marks in graph. Because you already took your values of x to be opposite of what was required. Hope this suffices your query! :)

Reaction score
For question 36, the slider is fitted with 3 Ohm resistor so think of it as something as that can move above or below the 3 Ohm resistor but not move as far as to the other resistors.
The 4 Ohm resistor will have a P.d of 4V across it according to the P.d formula: 4/(4+3+2) * 12
So 5V from total will be left, the 3 Ohm resistor will have P.d 3V across it so 2V will be left from the total. The last 2V will be the P.d across the 2 Ohm resistor. Here's a pic for better understanding. Think of blue lines as far as the slider can go.

1ROhAM9.png
Where did the 12 come from. Shouldnt it be 9?

I did it as follows:
Lowest :
(2/2+4+3) * 9 = 2V and
Highest :
(5/2+4+3) * 9 = 5V

Anyways thanks for both the explanations