• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Need help with this.
Mg - T = Ma -------(1)
T - mg = ma ------(2)

Make T subject in the second equation
T = ma + mg
substitute in first equation
Mg - (ma+mg) = Ma
Mg - ma -mg = Ma
Mg - mg = Ma + ma
(M - m)g = (M + m)a
a=(M-m)g/(M+m)

Reaction score
Mg - T = Ma -------(1)
T - mg = ma ------(2)

Make T subject in the second equation
T = ma + mg
substitute in first equation
Mg - (ma+mg) = Ma
Mg - ma -mg = Ma
Mg - mg = Ma + ma
(M - m)g = (M + m)a
a=(M-m)g/(M+m)

Can you please explain more about how we can think of the tension forces 'T' acting on the masses, for better understanding? Like, how are the tension forces even exerted on the masses?
Also, is T in both masses equal in magnitude? If yes, why?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Reaction score
Whenever an object is moving downward we take the weight of the object to be greater than the tension in the string, and when the weight is moving upward the tension is greater than the weight we use this concept while writing the equations.
Yes, T is equal in both cases for both objects are attached to the same string and the string used is usually a light inextensible string which exerts same forces on both masses attached.

Reaction score
Whenever an object is moving downward we take the weight of the object to be greater than the tension in the string, and when the weight is moving upward the tension is greater than the weight we use this concept while writing the equations.
Yes, T is equal in both cases for both objects are attached to the same string and the string used is usually a light inextensible string which exerts same forces on both masses attached.

Isnt mass M pulling mass m and hence exerting the tension force on it? Or is it just the string which is exerting forces of tension on both the masses?

Like, are both the masses completely independent of each other?

Reaction score
Isnt mass M pulling mass m and hence exerting the tension force on it? Or is it just the string which is exerting forces of tension on both the masses?

Like, are both the masses completely independent of each other?

Yes mass ' m ' is pulling mass M which is exerted in the form of tension.
the mass which is heavier exerts the force on the other when it is released.

Reaction score
Then how is tension exerted on the heavier mass?
At the start you had both masses stationary then you released the system i.e whatever support was holding both masses was removed resulting in heavier mass going down with lighter mass going upwards simultaneously.

Reaction score
At the start you had both masses stationary then you released the system i.e whatever support was holding both masses was removed resulting in heavier mass going down with lighter mass going upwards simultaneously.
Yes, I get that. I understood that the heavier mass is exerting force of tension on the light mass, so it's known where tension acting on the lighter mass comes from. What I dont understand is why is there tension acting on the heavier mass? What exerts it on the heavier mass?

Reaction score
Yes, I get that. I understood that the heavier mass is exerting force of tension on the light mass, so it's known where tension acting on the lighter mass comes from. What I dont understand is why is there tension acting on the heavier mass? What exerts it on the heavier mass?
Why are you making the question so complicated?

I don't know if I am right here
The string due to inertia will resist this change in motion and will impose an opposite force to stop the it.
Thus, the tension in the string acting on the heavier mass.

Reaction score
Why are you making the question so complicated?

I don't know if I am right here
The string due to inertia will resist this change in motion and will impose an opposite force to stop the it.
Thus, the tension in the string acting on the heavier mass.
I'm just trying to be able to write the heavier mass' equation (Mg-T=Ma) with proper understanding of why even there exists force of tension on it.

From my knowledge of force of tension, it is an upward force exerted by a string/rope on an object when its pulled upwards by it. Hence, it made more sense why the lighter mass experiences force of tension as it actually is being pulled upwards by the string connected to the heavier mass. Heavier mass isnt being shown as being pulled by the string, but the lighter mass opposes it from going down freely and probably that way it's exerting force of tension on it.

Reaction score
From my knowledge of force of tension, it is an upward force exerted by a string/rope on an object when its pulled upwards by it. Hence, it made more sense why the lighter mass experiences force of tension as it actually is being pulled upwards by the string connected to the heavier mass. Heavier mass isnt being shown as being pulled by the string, but the lighter mass opposes it from going down freely and probably that way it's exerting force of tension on it.
Agreed

Reaction score
Need help with this question.

T - m1g = m1(a)
T = m1(a) + m1g -------(1)

m2g - T = m2(a)
T = m2g -m2(a) --------(2)

placing both equations equal to each other
m1a + m1g = m2g - m2a
m1a + m2a = m2g - m1g
(m1 + m2 )a= (m2-m1) g
a = (m2-m1)g/(m1+m2)

As the question asks about the rate provided by the energy thus,
P = Fv
P = (ma) v

As in the whole system the elevator is going upwards against gravity thus acceleration is negative
P = m(-a)v
P = (m1 + m2)(-(m2-m1)g/m1+m2)v
cancelling out the common terms
P = -(m2-m1)gv
P = (m1-m2)gv ---------- option D

Reaction score
T - m1g = m1(a)
T = m1(a) + m1g -------(1)

m2g - T = m2(a)
T = m2g -m2(a) --------(2)

placing both equations equal to each other
m1a + m1g = m2g - m2a
m1a + m2a = m2g - m1g
(m1 + m2 )a= (m2-m1) g
a = (m2-m1)g/(m1+m2)

As the question asks about the rate provided by the energy thus,
P = Fv
P = (ma) v

As in the whole system the elevator is going upwards against gravity thus acceleration is negative
P = m(-a)v
P = (m1 + m2)(-(m2-m1)g/m1+m2)v
cancelling out the common terms
P = -(m2-m1)gv
P = (m1-m2)gv ---------- option D

What power are we asked to calculate in the question?

Also, can you please explain how you used the formula P=fv? Why did you substitute those values?