• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score

The Ans is Option D
That's because in free fall the rate of acceleration increases for the ball since the force of gravity is acting on it.
Besides,they've stated that it starts from rest.[From the origin that is]
Plot the same distance time graph as a velocity-time graph and you'll see what I mean.

You need to know the difference between displacement-time,distance-time,velocity-time and acceleration-time graphs in order to solve these types of questions.

Reaction score
Resolve v :
1. You get v cos theta along X . So magnitude of X = v cos theta
But using mathematical knowledge :
Increasing theta form 0 to 90 degrees causes cos theta to decrease . Remember the graph for cos theta ? Do refer to it.
Hence along X , v cos theta decreases, so X decreases.

2. You get v sin theta along Y .So magnitude of Y = v sin theta .
But again applying mathematics:
Increasing theta from 0 to 90 degrees causes sin theta to increase . Refer graph of sin theta .
Hence Y increases.

Hope it helped!
Thanks mate.

Reaction score
When a ball is dropped and allowed to fall under free gravity it will have three different stages- initially the resistance will greatly oppose the body, so the displacement/time graph would NOT be too steep but would (obviously) have a negative gradient. Then eventually, the ball will reach terminal velocity, where acceleration is 0 and the speed is constant, so you will get a straight line with a negative gradient. Then, finally will come a point where when the downward force will be much greater than the resistance (when it gets closer to the ground), hence the graph will be VERY steep.

From the description you can tell the answer is B. :)

Hey hey!But doesn't Ans B denote negative acceleration [aka retardation] ?!
I mean if you convert that h-t graph to a velocity time graph then it does make sense!
I think it should be Ans. D
And the gradient's only negative when a ball is thrown upwards [opposing the force of gravity as a result] -_-

Reaction score
Hey Guys!
I'm in desperate need of someone's help! Can anyone post May/June 2002 past paper and the mark scheme
Please Please i need it for Tommorrow and didnt realise its not available on the website... anyone got it??

Reaction score
may/june 2003 , paper1 , question : 5, 11, 17, 19, 22, nd q.40

please help!

Attachments

• 9702_s03_qp_1.pdf
    132.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 9702_s03_ms_1+2+3+4+5+6.pdf
    153.8 KB · Views: 0
Reaction score
Hey Guys!
I'm in desperate need of someone's help! Can anyone post May/June 2002 past paper and the mark scheme
Please Please i need it for Tommorrow and didnt realise its not available on the website... anyone got it??

Attachments

• 9702_s02_qp_1.pdf
    163.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 9702_s02_qp_2.pdf
    103 KB · Views: 2
  • 9702_s02_qp_4.pdf
    100.4 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
hey guys can u help me out with jun 11?? i had lots of problem with
2, 20, 25, 35

and for the second variant:
Q2
Q3 why is the answer not D?
and Q9

Attachments

• 9702_s11_qp_11.pdf
    260.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 9702_s11_ms_12.pdf
    86.7 KB · Views: 0
Reaction score
did u work out jun 2011? cud u help me out with q2? N i didn't get what is the difference between quantity and unit :(
Hey i am done with AS am in A2 now
but yea i sure can help:)
look....quantities are like mass, length, time
their units are kilograms, metres, seconds
so basically in the qn u asked, the qn wants quantities not units
so option A - ruled out coz it has 'metre' ( which is a unit)
option B - the statement itself is wrong, pd is not equal to energy per unit current
option C - the correct answer since it is the right definition and uses only quantities
option D - ruled out coz it has 'second' (which is a unit)

hope that helped....

Reaction score
Hey i am done with AS am in A2 now
but yea i sure can help:)
look....quantities are like mass, length, time
their units are kilograms, metres, seconds
so basically in the qn u asked, the qn wants quantities not units
so option A - ruled out coz it has 'metre' ( which is a unit)
option B - the statement itself is wrong, pd is not equal to energy per unit current
option C - the correct answer since it is the right definition and uses only quantities
option D - ruled out coz it has 'second' (which is a unit)

hope that helped....
hmmm, for A, B and D it certainly helped :)
bt wat i still don't get is why area isn't a unit, bcoz its so close to cubic metre..
or do you mean they require only SI units? :O

Reaction score
hmmm, for A, B and D it certainly helped :)
bt wat i still don't get is why area isn't a unit, bcoz its so close to cubic metre..
or do you mean they require only SI units? :O

okay look i am not sure about the SI unit thing, but area isn't a unit, a unit woud be someting yu write after a quantity, so for eg i can say 250kg, 300seconds, 500metres, but can i say 400areas? noo i can't......area is measured in metres.....not vice versa....hope you get it.....