• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
w10_qp12 Q25. Help? :S
never mind i got it :p
ok it is D bcz c in a closed pipe the smalest frequency possible is f. note that on an open end there is always an antinode and on a cosed one there is always a node.
so if there is an antinode on the open end of X and a subsequent node on the closed end the frequency is f
In Y however there should be an antinode on both the ends and for the smallest frequency only one node in between. so the pipe will have an antinode, a node and another antinode which will make the distance 2f. (antinode to node is f as in X)
i hope u got it :) (y)

Reaction score
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_s03_qp_1.pdf
how do you do ques 3?
and for question 30..why do we have to find the average of the current...why not subtract the two values?

For q3. I'll tell you a method if they ask for resultant, choose an axis, let's say y vertical and x is horizontal. I hope till that part you know how to resolve the forces. Then if you know, get the resultant of the forces that is parallel to the y axis and then the same for the x axis. Now use pythagoras, so that Fresultant=Square root of [(resultant force parallel to y)^2 + (resultant force parallel to x)^2] ;)

For q30.If you are asked to AVERAGE a value what you do? sum of all the values/number of values right? So stick to it.

Reaction score
this ques. is nt clear to me...the formula for lambda@ is n@=dsintita....but here u r dividing sin35/(1*10^6)...how??

Did u get how we calculated n?
Formula → nλ = dsinΘ
(1*10^6) * λ = 1 * sin 35
[d = 1, as it is a 1st order diffraction]
So, rearranging the eqn abv,
λ = (1*sin35)/(1*10^6)
λ = sin 35/(1*10^6)

Hope u get it!

Reaction score
ok it is D bcz c in a closed pipe the smalest frequency possible is f. note that on an open end there is always an antinode and on a cosed one there is always a node.
so if there is an antinode on the open end of X and a subsequent node on the closed end the frequency is f
In Y however there should be an antinode on both the ends and for the smallest frequency only one node in between. so the pipe will have an antinode, a node and another antinode which will make the distance 2f. (antinode to node is f as in X)
good job (y)

Reaction score

Yes I did! Got some more, if you dont mind :)

Q35(same paper)

Q15, Q18 from http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_s09_qp_1.pdf Thanks a tonnn! :D

Reaction score
For q3. I'll tell you a method if they ask for resultant, choose an axis, let's say y vertical and x is horizontal. I hope till that part you know how to resolve the forces. Then if you know, get the resultant of the forces that is parallel to the y axis and then the same for the x axis. Now use pythagoras, so that Fresultant=Square root of [(resultant force parallel to y)^2 + (resultant force parallel to x)^2] ;)

For q30.If you are asked to AVERAGE a value what you do? sum of all the values/number of values right? So stick to it.

ohhhhh.. i did what you said..i got 11 and answer is 10..are you supposed to get an exact answer or is this fine
and for question 30..they didnt tell us to find the avg though :/

Reaction score

In this ques, we consider the moment of the forces.
http://www.s-cool.co.uk/gcse/physics/forces-moments-and-pressure/revise-it/moments
The moment of L is in the clockwise direction, whereas the moment of W = anticlockwise.
They balance each other → system is in equilibrium.
When, the dist of L from the pivot increases → the moment of L now increases.
[Since moment = force * dist from pivot]
To balance this, we need an increase in moment in the ANTICLOCKWISE direction.
Note → the force needs to be perpendicular to the pivot.
When R is shifted to the left, it produces a moment in the clockwise direction.
and towards the left, it produces a moment anticlockwise.
So, ans = B

Hope u get it

Reaction score
ohhhhh.. i did what you said..i got 11 and answer is 10..are you supposed to get an exact answer or is this fine
and for question 30..they didnt tell us to find the avg though :/

It is 10 I just did that few days ago, ok I will give you my working and you try see your problem. square root of[(10cos30)^2 + (10-10sin30)^2)] check you get 10 N, if you don't understand my working then you don't know resolving forces or maybe you didn't recognize the angle just because 120 degrees is given. Sorry because it is hard to type out compared to writing down on paper

Reaction score
It is 10 I just did that few days ago, ok I will give you my working and you try see your problem. square root of[(10cos30)^2 + (10-10sin30)^2)] check you get 10 N, if you don't understand my working then you don't know resolving forces or maybe you didn't recognize the angle just because 120 degrees is given. Sorry because it is hard to type out compared to writing down on paper

ohhh noo i got it! was making a stupid mistake..thanks alot! :))

Reaction score

>>>>???

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
In this ques, we consider the moment of the forces.
http://www.s-cool.co.uk/gcse/physics/forces-moments-and-pressure/revise-it/moments
The moment of L is in the clockwise direction, whereas the moment of W = anticlockwise.
They balance each other → system is in equilibrium.
When, the dist of L from the pivot increases → the moment of L now increases.
[Since moment = force * dist from pivot]
To balance this, we need an increase in moment in the ANTICLOCKWISE direction.
Note → the force needs to be perpendicular to the pivot.
When R is shifted to the left, it produces a moment in the clockwise direction.
and towards the left, it produces a moment anticlockwise.
So, ans = B

Hope u get it
ans D :/

Reaction score
Did u get how we calculated n?
Formula → nλ = dsinΘ
(1*10^6) * λ = 1 * sin 35
[d = 1, as it is a 1st order diffraction]
So, rearranging the eqn abv,
λ = (1*sin35)/(1*10^6)
λ = sin 35/(1*10^6)

Hope u get it!
d is 1.0*10^-6 den y r u taking 1
and n is the no.of orders which is 2 here

Reaction score

Okay, you should know what voltage stands for it is potential DIFFERENCE, so..

You have a 12 V from P to Q, and you know that you are seeing a parallel circuit so voltage is same. Now we need to know the p.d at Q, we can use a voltage division? so that you will get 4V, so what you have left? 8 V, you are left with 8V you can see at the intervals if you jot down the values 12 to 8 to 0, that is why it is potential difference, now go to Y do the same you should get 8V and remaining of 4 V. so you got the remaining potential at P and Q now find their difference, I'll let you do that one