• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
In simple harmonic motion, one of the formulas of Time period of a pendulum is (T=2 pi underoot l/g)
If a lift is moving with upward acceleration, a, then a pendulum inside it will have g=9.81+a because of the total value of g, acceleration of 9.81 m/s sq. was used to cancel acceleration due to gravity so it will also be added into a.
But if a lift is moving with downward acceleration, a, why will the value of g be 9.81-a?

The force that makes the pendulum swing is centripetal, therefore any force acting or acceleration produced is directed towards the centre of circle ( in this case, it's imaginary and the pendulum is the radius).
Hence, acceleration would be in the direction against gravity and total gravity would equal to 9.81-a (downward-upward).

Reaction score
In simple harmonic motion, one of the formulas of Time period of a pendulum is (T=2 pi underoot l/g)
If a lift is moving with upward acceleration, a, then a pendulum inside it will have g=9.81+a because of the total value of g, acceleration of 9.81 m/s sq. was used to cancel acceleration due to gravity so it will also be added into a.
But if a lift is moving with downward acceleration, a, why will the value of g be 9.81-a?
Thankyou

Reaction score
The force that makes the pendulum swing is centripetal, therefore any force acting or acceleration produced is directed towards the centre of circle ( in this case, it's imaginary and the pendulum is the radius).
Hence, acceleration would be in the direction against gravity and total gravity would equal to 9.81-a (downward-upward).
Thankyou

Reaction score
Power = Work/ time......(1)
Work = Force*distance.....(2)

(1) => power = Force*speed
power= (1000+10000) *.5 = 5.5 kW

You need to add the 1000 N force required to overcome resistive forces.

Reaction score
At the exam do we get a formula sheet for AS physics?
I don't know that that's why I asked.

Reaction score
At the exam do we get a formula sheet for AS physics?
I don't know that that's why I asked.
You get a formula sheet, but it doesnt have all formulas. You can check it, its is on the second and third page of each past paper